The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

That is a good idea! At present, the effects of public sector and military support are determined by the percentage figure you attribute - regardless of how much money that is. That means a good tactic is, on years when the budget is very low, to put a large percentage into either the public sector or military support.

Essentially, the higher the public sector percentage, the lower the chance of a riot. Also, the higher the military percentage, the lower the damage caused and hence, the lower the loss to your next budget.

Changing the whole system so that you need to build (and maintain) specific public sector or military buildings is a large change but should be quite easy to set up. The hard part would be finding the small snippets of code that rely on the current system. They would still work regardless (you still assign a percentage each year) but would render any changes to just cosmetic.

Itā€™s definitely a good idea and would improve the game. However it would take a long time to change, taking time away from other areas.
I think I see this as a future change in an update after the game is releasedā€¦ Although it depends on how much support the idea gets. Who else thinks this is a major issue?

1 Like

Hello. Iā€™d like to read the first Kepler 62e before reading this one, but I keep getting 404 links on Dropbox. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but the thread for the first has been closed for over a year.

Hi @Personaddict07,

The first part is being written by Samuel H Young, but a major drop box error has resulted in the most recent version being lost. Some of the files do exist and the game will return at some point in one form or other. Having said that, this game plays just as well as a standalone game. As it stands, playing this game will reveal NO spoilers from the first part so donā€™t hesitate - jump right in!

So I wonā€™t feel lost or anything if I havenā€™t played the first part? Will I miss some references?

Nope. You wonā€™t miss anything. The game has been made that way specifically to avoid giving away key plot points from the first game.

1 Like

A minor correction but Canada, England and Australia all have Prime Ministers not presidents.

Man your good at this, way better than your guyā€™s previous ones.

Yes, and in-game, if you choose those countries, the leader of the nation is the Prime Minister instead of President.

Edit: Ah, just checked: England and Australia are set to Prime Minister but Canada has been set incorrectly to President. Iā€™ll change that one, thanks :slight_smile:

Edit 2: changed!

@Tevin thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My other piece of feedback is that once you have so many parts of the spaceship ready, despite having additional years you launch the spaceship. If the plan is to play on Kepler I think the game would be improved by allowing you to further develop your spaceship to the extent you can previous to the astroid strike. Youā€™d take more people, cargo etc.My recollection was I had 4 years left and my spaceship launched.

If you make a complete spaceship early you can launch it early. You donā€™t have to though. You can work right up to the last year before launching. As you say, the more time you put in, the more people you can take (which is reflected in the next part of the story).

Itā€™s been a long time since I wrote an update.

First, you may have noticed that the demo links are not currently working. This is due to the changes in Dropbox that have affected everyone. I am debating between two solutions to fix this and will post more when Iā€™ve made up my mind.

Second, Iā€™d like to say that the game is far from dead. Some of you will know that I became a father in November 2014. Since then, ALL writing has slowed considerably as changing nappies (diapers) has taken precedence. My daughter is now 28 months old (today) and remarkably independent for her age. As such, Iā€™m hoping to have a little more free time to write more. Progress will continue in one form or another.

Finally, there was a large news announcement recently that you will likely have seen: https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/trappist1/
The more of these planets that are discovered, the harder it is to keep this game focused on the planet Kepler 62e. For now, we will not change anything, but there is a chance that both the name of the game and the planet we are headed to will change in the future.

Thatā€™s all for now! Andy

9 Likes

Really great to hear. I followed this thread pretty closely back in the day and itā€™s nice to know work is still continuing. Can wait to see what you have planned next.

1 Like

Today was a very progressive dayā€¦ #Cryptic

8 Likes

way to be ominous there

You finally got the laundry done? Thatā€™s my idea of making progress.

ā€¦this is suppose to be the second game of a trilogyā€¦ where is the first one?

The first book is being written by Samuel H young, but is currently on hold while he works on other projects. The books are being designed so that you can jump in anywhere and not miss out on anything. Thereā€™s a high probability that this one will be finished first.

1 Like

I remember how shocked this game made me. So well written, and the concept itself is enthralling, even just in thought. The stakes are so high. This was my favorite WiP at a time. I remember it was the reason I became more interested in NASA, space, and science in general. God damn, Iā€™m so happy it has escaped the cold hands of Death. Evacuation, you came back to me. First Supernatural In New York, and now you. Never leave me again.

Pleaseā€¦

All jokes aside, yeah. Really happy to see this is still breathing. I wish all the luck in the world to you, @andymwhy. Seriously.

I loved the everliving fuck outta this.

Edit: Hope a DashingDon link for it becomes available. If that happens, Iā€™ll die.

3 Likes

The dropbox link isnt working

1 Like

The link stopped working when Dropbox changed their terms and I have been hesitant to revive the link elsewhere until the game is closer to completion. Iā€™m working hard right now tidying up loose ends before expanding the game further. Iā€™m getting all of the Earth based work completed first before venturing into the Spaceship section of the gameā€¦ Perhaps when the Earth section is completed I will add a DashingDon link :slight_smile:

11 Likes