The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

I think if i remember correctly That ship Had Shields But no Weapons for Point Defense Or other Cannons It was all On the Premise of Computer Guidance And Anything it hit Was supposed to be small and that Massive Rock was Detected to late. We Can Put adefense module on ours to counter thatā€¦

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: thatā€™s my playing style too, along with my evil mc seeing this whole thing as one big money making opportunity, so selling seats to the rich, taking the deal to invest in guns etc.

1 Like

@CreepyPastaKitty Thank you for those! I will change the a/an part - Iā€™m English too so agree itā€™s important. Also it would affect Australian,Austrian and maybe one or two more nation players.

Iā€™m definitely not going to comment on the best way to play the game as I like reading everyone elses ideas (I might not even be the expert as there are a lot of variables and different ways to approach it).

For the voyage to Kepler 62e, the major factor that will change the story is your spaceship type. Other major factors are Robotics and cryogenics (or not), and the size of your population. Choosing luxury only will get a mention, as will cheap only. Choosing a mixture will also feature. In all there will be 10 different stories that you can play through: some unique outright and some with crossovers.

Would you all be interested in a harder difficulty mode? If so, should it be tied to specific nations (to encourage players to play as diffierent countries) or should it be as a seperate option? (I can add an easy mode too).

6 Likes

I like the idea of different nations being the different difficulties. Rich, large countries like US being easy mode, smaller or poorer, maybe Brazil or Australia, could be normal, then if you want an impossible challenge you could try to get a country like Somalia into space. It would be a bit more work for you as the author, but as a reader I think it would be a good addition.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to have a continuation option? Where if you finish the ship Early and give up your spot you could leverage your success to increase your resources and begin building a second multinational ship, with the option to fund it by selling seats internationally?

5 Likes

All the countries (around 40) are set up with different cities and minor changes to the story for continuity reasons. Changing the difficulty is easy as the largest factor is money. The scenarios can all stay the same. I donā€™t think I would change the story too much. Iā€™ll experiment a little and see how it goes.

@Disciple while thatā€™s a wonderful idea, it has taken me 4 years to get to this point. External stories (such as deep Earth bunker survival) will have to wait until the main story is complete.

Having said that, I might take a look and see if itā€™s easily doable - the process to build is already done, after allā€¦

2 Likes

Hey, itā€™s not ā€œevilā€ to sell seats. Gives us more money to use for the ship. Anyone who doesnā€™t sell at east a few is asking to not launch.

2 Likes

First try I didnā€™t and didnā€™t tell the public till later on all cryo made it only cause the population didnā€™t know and skipped tech space elevator and deep earth bunker.

Second try I sold 100 seats and launched with 2 cargo pods a defense module 8 cryo and a 2 habitat the year before.

The third try
8 cryo 3 habitat 6 cargo and built the space elevator and deep earth bunker told them 21 years before researched and built all techs and had sold 1000 seats left 3 years before impact

3 Likes

Hmm, for my mc the fact theyā€™re evil is more to do with the fact they sell the maximum number of seats combined with all the other selfish money grabbing options like only building luxury habitation units, so fewer people will get on, oh and on this playthrough also decided to split the twins up, taking just Karen :stuck_out_tongue: ā€¦which had nothing to do with the fact she is young, single and ā€œcurvyā€ :stuck_out_tongue: . Have a ton of typos and such so will pm you @andymwhy if that is ok? Finally finished the yp, was a lot longer than I thought itā€™d be, and still had 7 days left(though not sure what is the latest you can leave it) and loved it :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Any way youā€™d consider making a difficulty setting? Because some of the things seem to be much too difficult/unrealistic in the bad sense. After all, usually we should have a lot more scientists available to us, especially if thereā€™s evidence of the end of the World (Operation Paperclip comes to mind), the US government still has a military, meaning that we should only be focusing on development and research, nothing else, because the military budget is already pretty huge (even with the huge 400 Billion, the Military would still beat it by about 200 Billion). The Space program should get a budgetary Carte Blanche, you know, since all of humanity is at stake, as in, there should be the option to either fire scientis, or loan them out to other departments/nations. Also, the whole ā€œKorea finds out story arcā€ is, and I donā€™t mean to be a dick about it, but itā€™s kinda ridiculous/convoluted. The Japan thing, will hike interesting, shouldnā€™t come at the expense of budget cuts, they US already has a foreign aid budget, and if they needed more, they could easily take out a deficit loan for it (itā€™s what we do), although I really enjoyed the negotiations part of it, and the selling of seats, but again, realistically, unless I had full authority, I should have been fired immediately, same with assigning seats to different people without even having set a criteria for acceptance into the ship (speaking of, other than a reduction in space, anything different between the basic 3K people habitation quarters, and the 1K luxury habitation quarters in the game?). Also, donā€™t know if I mentioned it, but a save system would be highly appreciated, and also, even if the robot and the cyborg upgrades cost extra, shouldnā€™t we have a pretty killer salary and have the option to do all the upgrades (both cyborg and robot).

Sorry for the rant, but the game is great, itā€™s got a lot of potential, but I also wanted to get my pet peeves out.

1 Like

@Rafael_Trigo Thanks for your feedback and thanks for reading! I am adding a difficulty settting. There will be an easy mode, a standard mode (slightly easier than now) and several hard modes.

When hiring scientists it tells you that each comes with their own team of workers (hence a cost of 1 billion per scientist team). So if you have 40 scientists thatā€™s actually 40 groups of scientists. Itā€™s represented as 40 scientist for simplicity.

The North Korea finds out part is actually one of my favourites as it is the sort of thing the Kim family have their people believe. The locations are all true, including the South Koreans working north of the border (the facilities there have been closed once or twice but are open in this gameā€™s timeline. If you donā€™t like it, fear not - it only appears 25% of the time (and not at all if you play as South Korea).

I mentioned the difference between 1 and 3k module a few posts before but the short answer is yes, in the sequel.

Iā€™m still considering a save feature, but Iā€™m looking to complete the story first.

2 Likes

There will be a new update today. Included for sure are a whole load of spelling errors (thanks @CreepyPastaKitty) and the option to make space shuttles (once the spaceship is built, you need to get all the people on board!).

At present, the number of shuttles you have wonā€™t make a difference - Iā€™ll code that next.
I hope to add more, but we will see how the time goes.

Expect the update in around 10 hours from now.

4 Likes

A shot? No.

Applause? Yes.

I love Australia. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

UPDATE: Buy shuttles and difficulty modes!

So you can now buy shuttles - they donā€™t have any major effect yet, but they will soon.
Iā€™ve also added some very simple difficulty modes. The code wasnā€™t too bad as the basics were in place - I just had to change some numbers to variables then place those variables in the right place.
There are 5 modes. Standard (most countries), easy (China), hard (Scotland), very easy (Russia) and extreme (Bolivia).
Take a look and try them out. I donā€™t even know if extreme is possible to make a ship yet. These settings will likely change based on feedback :slight_smile:
There are also a lot of spelling corrections.

Link: https://dashingdon.com/go/1645

5 Likes

20 years till as Bolivia my budget was -23 billion
Havenā€™t told the public and im aiding the earthquake.
sorry i donā€™t have a screenshot

Note:When in the negitives it does Erase Some work i spent -11 on my tech Development and it went from 307 billion left to 318 billion

1 Like

Iā€™ve also noticed a rapidly decreasing budget on the Scotland play through. Iā€™ll check the others and get back to you.

1 Like

ā€¦Just thought of something, how do you finish your space ship? As in you get a choice whether or not to finish it, but when does this choice appear? Is it every so many years? Just thought as took the deal with India and China, got a choice whether or not to finish my ship, then didnā€™t get the choice for a while after that, and in fact was the year after I actually spent money on fulfilling my end of the deals. So yeah, donā€™t know if itā€™s possible right now, but would be so funny to make those deals, then not bother to hold up your end of the deals then run off into space :stuck_out_tongue: . Also if you do do this, when you get to Kepler will this have any negative effects? If so what? Because I can imagine China and India being pretty pissed off if you do this :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good question. I think I will put some reminders in there yet I will allow you to leave with the deal unfulfilled. Repercussions on Kepler 62e will depend on that nationā€™s success after your betrayal. The choice to leave should come up every year after the spaceship is completed - I need to check why it isnā€™t and fix it.

@Disciple was it possible to build the spaceship with Scotland? Aside from being told the budget is 400 billion, has anyone noticed other budget errors?

@Drakeye the negative budget is interestingā€¦ I definitely need to tweak it though.

1 Like

I love this! I would suggest a brilliant film called ā€™ These final hoursā€™ the film explores how people cope with a huge asteroid crashing into the earth

1 Like

ā€œSo the worlds gonna end. Are you ready to duck and cover? If the answer is yes you may be wrongā€¦the deep earth bunker and youā€¦remember listen to the rules the overseer is watching.ā€

1 Like