The Kepler Colony: Evacuation (OUT NOW!)

Good thinking! I’ll take a look there. That’s possible as I could have mixed free-scientists (not allocated) with your total number of scientists.

I think it would be nice if my techno loving leader had the option to bring his robot Sam along. It would at the very least lead to an interesting discussion about what life is. Not sure that he would choose them over his wife/secretary because even he isn’t that much of an ass (I don’t think?) But I can certainly conceive of mc’s who would, expecially if they have remained single. Maybe he’ll smuggle them in his luggage.

Roland Montaga was British and chose to ignore the Japanese, join the new UN, sold weapons, only traded with the Chinese at the summit, sold seats to the rich, legalized and used cybernetics and robotics, and of course married his personal assistant.

His ship had a single luxury habitat for 1000 people that would help crew the full 16 cryogenic units. The storage units prioritized medical supplies and DNA over the other options. He chose himself and his wife Binny for his two seats. I’m a little surprised Beatrice didn’t call him out on such obvious nepotism, but the rest have good chances to get seats for being at the top of their fields. Not much chance of that for a secretary.

1 Like

The option to bring your robot might be added. Some of the stories on the journey through space are robot based so there’s a strong possibility.

Otherwise, I loved your summary of Roland Montaga’s journey. Perhaps I can add some more dialogue from Beatrice…

3 Likes

The right thing? They used their extra money to nuke Korea’s spaceship! (Granted I didn’t know they would do that at the time…).

@Seventhjackel , interestingly it depends on whether you put an age limit. Damien is 57 apparently at the time of the launch so if you put the age limit of 40 or 50. It’s likely him and the other staff members wouldn’t be able to get a ticket. I suspect the twins are in their 40s by the end of the space project.

After playing Analogue: A Hate Story, I don’t think this is such a bad idea.

You are right about the ages of course. We have been doing this job for up to 25 years so us originals are probably getting up there. I doubt any of us were getting such important jobs fresh out of school either. I didn’t limit based on age so I guess I didn’t consider it.

As for the Korean Japanese conflict I’m pretty sure that attack happens anyway. I remember it from my game and I didn’t give any disaster relief at all.

Speaking of robots, would it be possible to completely automate the spaceship with them? Then the entire crew sleeps and the only reason for the habitation module is in case of emergency or final approach and disembarkation. By the way working the logistics of embarking and disembarking would be interesting. You couldn’t get everyone awake at once. You’d have to send them down in waves and after 1300 years it’s going to be interesting telling them to hold it until they get on the ground.

This reminds me exactly of Mass Effect Andromeda! Cryogenic failures, Kepler having some unforeseen environmental issues due to the huge space of time in transit, alongside trying to get along with the convicts (assuming they survived of course).
The colonisation effort is still going to be more of a logistical nightmare; sure enough getting everyone/thing out will be a pain but the initial set-up is going to be tough, especially if the local ecosystem isn’t humanity-friendly.

2 Likes

The actual Colonisation of Kepler62e will be in the last book. Expect Evacuation style but with very different dilemmas!

@cascat07 If you choose cryogenics and allow robotic development, there will be a story dedicated to that idea.

1 Like

Would there be any adverse effects of taking the MC on the ship in later books? I assume having the man who ran the Space Project on-board as a passenger, they’ll come up again at some point in the last book.

We still haven’t decided the exact roles but it will be something like this:
If you leave the MC on Earth, you will assume a new role (or several depending on your spaceship design). Then when you reach Kepler62e you will either continue with that second character (cryogenics) or continue with another new character.
If you take the MC on the ship, you will either live and die with them on the ship, before continuing with a new character (related or not), or you will go into cryogenics and take control of a caretaker character for the spaceship part. When you arrive at Kepler62e you would either continue with the MC or one of their descendants.

5 Likes

Update:
I’ve rewritten the UN joining part for those who tell the public early. I’m now working on an update to Binny’s relationship.
These should both be added to the demo on Saturday.
-Next up will be an update for Damien’s relationship.

6 Likes

The Binny update is complete, as well as a minor new year 14 event. (Although sadly not added to the demo yet- I ran out of time. It should go live in around 6-7 hours from now). Damien’s relationship update is next.

Meanwhile I’m trying to think of a dilemma for Year 11. Ideally something involving Sally Albright and the twins. Any ideas? Is there anything major that I’ve missed that should be covered?

6 Likes

UPDATE

The demo has been updated and I’ve addressed the image problem. After fruitlessly changing the filenames, it turned out the it was the extension that was causing the problem! Some files were saved as .jpg (lowercase) and other were saved as .JPG (uppercase). They should all work now.

So what is updated?
*Year 4 (joining UN) rewrite if you tell the public early
*Binny relationship update, year 14
*Year 14 mini event
*Major bug where players were sent back to year 1 sometimes (please let me know if this happens again!)
*image bugs

https://dashingdon.com/go/1645

9 Likes

Will there be poc in the story ?

Poc? I’m not familiar with that term but guessing it means people of colour? (Google) If so, then yes. The second President/PM is black. There are also one or two black characters on the spaceship (possibly the next game depending on how things go).

ooo cool time to write a backstory for my fictional country in Antarctica :snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

1 Like

So I got to the end of the countdown and it just went to “-1 years until the asteriod hits.” What???

1 Like

Short answer: it’s a demo!

I haven’t written beyond Year 25 yet. The best option is to launch your ship before that point.

2 Likes

Which relationship lines are currently available?