Citadel WiP (Updated: 1/21/2023) - A Medical Drama with Romance

I was wondering if there was a possibility to make certain choices explicit as to whether they’re meant to be romantic or not (say, by having something indicating as such in parentheses next to the relevant choice)? An example is with Davy. I tried an option to dance with them in one of my playthroughs, something which I personally meant in a purely platonic way, but the way text is written, it makes it seem as if the MC finds Davy totally hot and mentally drooling over them (sorry if this is just me being dumb and not understanding something that was meant to be obvious).

Also, unrelated, an option I’d have liked to have seen with Jean if you go with them to get food would be to express initial confusion/hesitancy if they ask you out (“oh, I had no idea you felt that way about me” type of response). The way I’ve been tending to play the game so far is that my MC is attracted to Eli; so even though they like Jean very much as a friend, they never really thought of them beyond that (because they’re so into Eli). The two options presented are either an enthusiastic yes (which makes it seem as if we’re quite aware of our attraction to Jean and had been hoping they were into us too) or to turn them down. Just don’t really feel as if the response I’m looking for is there.

Thanks for your feedback!

My thought was to mark all “romance” choices with a heart emoji (just haven’t gotten around to it, but I guess that leaves something to look forward to?).

As for the Jean choice, I think that makes sense. I won’t be able to accommodate all player preferences, but that’s an easy enough add.

Thanks for playing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

I’ve found this to be a definite plus in every situation except ones that don’t exist.

3 Likes

I very much like the heart emoji idea. I tend to over analyze choices so when I have little hints it helps me process better.

11 Likes

ah, can we have romance indicators optional?

2 Likes

I think I’ll consider making it optional in the final product, but for now future updates will probably just have the romance indicator already implemented (just for ease-of-coding on my part).

Coding the technical bits of the game burns me out really quickly, so it’s always a balance between me implementing technical improvements and enjoying the writing process.

Thanks for your feedback - it’s definitely heard! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Do you mean flirt options for characters who aren’t actually ROs (or who are ROs, but not necessarily for the type of character you’re playing as)? See, I don’t have an issue with this, per se. For me, a romance indicator (such as a heart emoji) is meant more to indicate intent by the player more than anything else. Whether you’ll actually be able to successfully romance said character is another story altogether (after all, in real-life just because you flirt with someone doesn’t automatically mean that it’s going to be successful, either immediately or in the long-run). I understand though why some people would only want flirt options to be available if it’s actually possible for the MC to romance the character in question.

I mean that there is no situation where clearly marking a flirt option isn’t a good thing. Maybe not necessarily with a heart emoji, but that’s certainly better than just going into awkward writing like “you say flirtily” or something. Or blushing all the time, regardless of skin tone.

4 Likes

I think they are a good idea! I do want to warn that I had some early on, and then I got feedback that they ruined immersion for some, and as I had made some choices which were same text but different intentions (with and without heart <3 symbol) I was not able to remove them with an on/off variable. So I had to remove them :confused:

1 Like

Romance indicators aside…what’s your “canon” ending for Case Two? As you know, there’s three different ones you can get…

(Please mark with spoilers for those who haven’t played yet or those who haven’t unlocked all three!)

:eyes:

4 Likes

Here’s the thing tho, can u tell me what are the endings on case two? Its been a few month but I seem to recall that the endings are quite the same.

Oooof, it’s been a while… And I had to clear cache since then, so my next playthrough may result in a different canon ending… but if I recall correctly, the dude’s wife comes to berate us at the meeting? I think?

SPOILERS FOR CASE 2

Mr. Day will always die, but what “kind” of death he has is up to the player. The three endings are 1) the MC convinces Mrs. Day to agree to a more aggressive approach (the interventional radiology procedure), in which case Mr. Day codes and has CPR performed on him 2) the MC convinces Mrs. Day to agree to a more “comfort” oriented approach, in which Mr. Day dies without CPR being performed on him and 3) the MC doesn’t manage to convince Mrs. Day of anything, and she keeps him full code (i.e. CPR is performed on him).

Depending on which ending, the player either 1) breaks down vs. is able to keep it together 2) talks with Ale on whether Mr. Day had a “good” death (if there is such a thing) or 3) is able to visit Mr. Day’s old room or just goes back to work respectively.

11 Likes

I gottttttttt… 3), IIRC? I sort of remember being given the choice to visit the room.

1 Like

Hi everyone, and Happy Mon-yay!

Case Two: Chapter Four (new and improved!) will be released to Patreon Fellows tier and up this Friday (October 28th) at 8 p.m., to Patreon Chief Resident tier and up next Tuesday (November 1st) at 8 p.m., and to everyone else next Friday (November 4th) at 8 p.m. Wondering what’s in the update? Subscribe to Patreon Medical Student tier and up (starting at $1/month) for detailed progress notes!

Want to see short snippets a week early? Subscribe to Patreon Resident tier and up (starting at $5/month) and also get access to detailed progress notes, sneak peeks, gameplay + romance guides, and polls!

Don’t want to commit to a subscription but still want to support Citadel? Feel free to donate to my Ko-Fi!

Patreon

Ko-Fi

17 Likes

Oh, I see. I think I’ve had the first and second ending but at that time idk if that’s the “ending”, thought that was a different pathway, not the ending.

Revamped Case Two is now available to Patreon Fellows tier and up!

7 Likes

There seems to be a problem with the Demo where,when accesing via Google (googling Citadel dashingdon and clicking the link) it takes you to a different version of the game where the demo ends after case two chapter two. But accesing via link (here or on tumblr) takes you to the right one.

Hey!

I actually changed the link to the game, but thanks for letting me know that the first google search directs to the old one. I’ll try to have the old link taken down! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Hi everyone, and Happy Fri-yay!

Please enjoy the revamped Case Two: The VIP featuring:

Addition of a “Patients” section to the stats screen to keep track of who you’ve taken care of so far in Citadel. Each patient entry also contains a brief summary of their medical history (which might also help you answer some of those pesky questions Dr. Grey and Dr. Saxon ask)…think of it as a soft “story” mode. (Hint: Compare what each patient note looks like at the beginning of Case Two vs. the end of Case Two.)

New scene where you can comfort Jean if Mrs. Day yells at them in Case Two: Chapter Four.

Expanded scene where you can banter with Riley in Case Two: Chapter Four.

Bug fixes so that your choices in Case Two will actually lead you to the appropriate paths, including how the interdisciplinary meeting goes and your interaction with Riley. (Hint: There’s three different endings - can you find them all?)

This update brings Citadel to 127,000+ words!

If you spot any typos or coding errors, feel free to send me an inbox message or a DM.

If you’ve enjoyed playing Citadel so far, consider subscribing to my Patreon (where you’ll gain access to bonus content) or donating to my Ko-Fi .

Reblog, send in an inbox ask/message, enjoy!

Cheers!

Demo | Patreon | Ko-Fi

35 Likes