ChoiceScript Saving Plugin (Update: April 2023)

Could be the session is not recognized because node assigns different port each time. You could try manually changing to any safe open port (any tcp in 50k range) in serve.js

You are probably right but I have no idea how to do that. You may as well have told me to jib my sail up the mast arm.

In serve.js file that is located in the same folder where run_server.bat is, change in the following line
server.listen({port: 0, host:'127.0.0.1'}, (err) => {
the value of port from 0 to the port of your previous session (copy paste it from your browser link/cmd window).

This is actually very likely the problem (the upload changes). Someone had a similar problem above. Try this revised version here: ChoiceScript Saving Plugin (Update: Sept. 2019)

This error is looking slightly different though, so let me know how you get on.

I haven’t had a chance to test this fix enough to make it official yet (i.e. redirect the main links). Seems like more and more people are going to start encountering this though.

1 Like

You’re awesome. I will put it some time today and let you know how it went.

You Rock! That solved the problem. This will save me so much time going forward as I test stuff to not have to start completely over every time. And I can get rid of that test page I created at the beginning of the game so people trying to preview it don’t have to deal with that.

Thanks, again

2 Likes

Just for clarification of anyone with the same issue: what helped? The updated plugin file, or @anon8836198’s server advice? I can’t actually tell.

Sorry, I was writing my story and just replying by Email. I didn’t see your response here - my bad for cheating.

Anyway, I changed the serve.js file like Jumo suggested and it worked just fine. Jumo was right in that when node.js loaded it would choose a random port. The change Jumo suggested causes it to open to a specific port every time, more specifically the port that was already open, and now I can see my save files - but only the ones created after I made the change. I would have to know what the random port number was in order to see all the other ones. But that is not something I need to do.

I think that Don uses cookies in a different way to make everything work with his website, which would explain why it worked on DaringDon and not locally.

This community as a whole rocks. The changes that were necessary make perfect sense to me, but it is not something I would have thought to do, or would have known how to do. You guys are all awesome.

Thanks @CJW for the mod, thanks @anon8836198 for the help, and thank all the people that have already looked at the game I just started writing three days ago - so many so that I already got that badge for over 300 clicks.

5 Likes

What I should download and what I should to do to turn on simple safe sustem ( “on the fly”) in my game? Just auto-safe system like in oficially Choice of Games games.

In this post (ChoiceScript Saving Plugin (Update: Sept. 2019) - #116 by CJW) all links to dropbox is dead.

2-3 years ago without Node.js COC game engine looked like smth very simple. Now it’s look like frontender’s nightmare. :expressionless:

I hope you will help me.

Sadly this save system doesn’t provide anything fully automatic. It’s meant to give you more control over how and where you utilize saves. You’ll need both the smPlugin and the smPluginMenuAddon to get the drop-down menu/VN style saving. Thanks for flagging up the broken links, I’ll double check them.

1 Like

I think the overall post itself need some significant re-overhaul to tutor people the latest steps to integrate the saving plugin. Probably something like quick guide steps with images.

3 Likes

In all honesty maybe a whole new thread altogether would be better. Start that one off with the steps to install the most up to date version. I spent hours and hours trying to find the correct files to download and the correct way to install them. Truth be told most of the links in both threads are dead. The information is here, in two seperate threads, but it is scattered and hidden like needles in a two different haystacks.

I think what has happened is that over time (many years according to the original post dates) a lot of people have been part of the progression of the posts and know all about the save program and can just read the new posts and know what it means. But for us newbies who just found this a couple of weeks ago, this is a maze full of dead ends.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the program, and am thankful for it. But getting started is very difficult right now.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback both! I’ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it’s seems like it will be better for me to wait a little :thinking:

Tnx for answers! I will wait for new thread, FAQ and guide (even if it will take a month or so - this plugin looks like very interesting thing).

I’ve just done a complete overhaul, including a code re-write and new documentation, if you guys want to check the first post.

@Szaal @Sergey_Konyakin @SilverSurfer

3 Likes

So I went to the new site to get the new plug-in stuff. I tried to download the JavaScript, and a new page opened up with a whole bunch of gibberish. I cleared my cache to make sure it wasn’t my browser being weird, but it still does it. I don’t know why it’s doing that. I also went and downloaded the most current choicescript to make sure everything was up to date.

Is this happening to anyone else?

edit: didn’t realize it was gonna become a thing, so I am editing my post. :slightly_frowning_face:

What you see is the browser showing the code. Just go and ”save as” the page. (Also, if you’ll allow programmer a pet peeve - the plugin isn’t Java, it’s JavaScript, or JS, which is a completely different thing from Java.)

3 Likes

Thank you so much! It wasn’t clear in the instructions.

Halo? Piye kabare? Jowone ing endhi, Ndhuk?

I’m sorry, I have no idea what you’re saying. :woman_shrugging: That is not a language I speak.

Edit. I meant Java (a programming language) != JavaScript (another programming language), didn’t mean the human language.