CSIDE Pre-Release Livestream (Released 15/06/2017)

Hi! You look like you’re trying to make an announcement.
Would you like help?

• Make an announcement about your announcement.
  • Find a critical bug that will set release back another six months.

10 Likes

Hahaha, I really wouldn’t risk jinxing it… :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

How could you resurrect clippy! Quick kill it with fire before it spreads. (I used to hate MSWord.)

10 Likes
5 Likes

@CJW This makes me happy. :slight_smile:
Even the original CSIDE is amazing. My main thing I’m looking for is the ability to script and play test all in the same window, and CSIDE delivers that beautifully. Though honestly playing around with the Legacy version makes me want the final desktop version even more!!

5 Likes

I have a few questions for you @CJW. I believe they were covered in the live stream in September (which I really enjoyed watching), but I’m too lazy to sift through it to find my answers lmao

1. I found the multi-click option in Notepad++, and I have noticed that when using the ‘enter’, ‘end’, and ‘home’ keys it will only apply them to the LAST line you had clicked. Will CSIDE’s multi-click function allows those keys to work on all lines or will it work similar to Notepad++?

2. I have grown accustomed to the color scheme I use for the ‘language’ in Notepad++. Will CSIDE have an option to customize this as well?

3. As a follow up to my previous question: When defining your ‘language’ in Notepad++, I have yet to determine a way for the program to automatically color parenthesis. I’m looking for something that would allow the parenthesis in, for example: *set base_attack_bonus_full ((((((base_attack_bonus&"/") &base_attack_bonus2) &"/") &base_attack_bonus3) &"/") &base_attack_bonus4) to have a specific color instead of being black like the rest of the text. Will CSIDE have options like this for customizing your ‘language’?

I’m very glad to hear it @J3loodT4lon t! I wouldn’t use the word final though. Post-release, we have plans to continue supporting and updating CSIDE with not only the obvious tweaks and bug-fixes, but also new features and functionality, down the line.

1. Yes, the multi-click in CSIDE will perform these actions on each line with a cursor.

2 & 3. At release CSIDE will provide three specifically tailored editor themes that will determine background colour and syntax highlighting. You won’t be able to edit these themes, but can swap between them at any time. Rather than having brackets as a permanent separate colour, we have included bracket matching, which will highlight pairs of brackets, making it easier to deduce pairs within complicated nests:

2 Likes

Is there any updated release date so I can shut my mouth until that date.

1 Like

As I said before, announcement very soon! :smiley:

3 Likes

Announcement

It gives me great pleasure to announce that the following versions of the latest CSIDE (The "ChoiceScript IDE") will be available for public access and download on Thursday the 15th of June 2017:
  • Windows 64-bit (Win8.1+)
  • Mac 64-bit (El Capitan+)
  • Web (Dropbox Account + Latest Chrome, Firefox, Safari)

These are the official requirements, mileage with other OSes/browsers may vary.

A developer/tester AMA thread will follow that evening, in which myself and a number of long-term testers will be available to answer any questions you might have concerning features/best practices/future development etc.

Exact times TBC.

Thank you all for your patience.

22 Likes

thanks man can’t wait for it to go live

4 Likes

6 Likes

Notepad++ has a feature that highlights parenthesis like that, but it isn’t quite what I am looking for.
I’m looking for this:

To look like this:

I find that having brackets and parenthesis highlighted without having to move my cursor to them makes it easier for me to read over my code without straining my eyes.
And will you be adding the option to customize your syntax highlighting?

No, sorry. There are no current plans to implement either of those features. I can’t speak for the future, but we’ve been running with pre-defined themes for a while, and there are many benefits to doing so.

EDIT: As an aside, my advice here would actually be to simplify your expressions by splitting them up. Parenthesis highlighting or no, that is a very difficult block of code to read!

4 Likes

Hey everyone, here are the times for tomorrow:

• Links to the IDE downloads (and web space) will be made available at 13:00 BST
  • The AMA will be here on the Choice of Games forums, and will start at 21:00 BST

See you then! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

More on the AMA: Several members of the CSIDE team will be present to answer your questions; of course @CJW, but also @Vendetta, @Lordirish, and myself.

Our AMA will run from 21.00 to 22.00 BST on Thursday, 15 June (15.00-16.00 CT / 06.00-7.00 Friday ACT).

Ask any of us about CSIDE, its three-year development, the CSIDE Team, @Vendetta’s CSIDE Tutorial, Testing and Debugging, or anything!

Until then, feel free to leave questions in this thread marked as ‘AMA’, too. You can mention one of us specifically if you like, or simply ask away; we’ll do our best to answer when our AMA goes live. Hope to see you there!

(And if you just can’t wait, check out the recording of our livestream with @CJW, @Lordirish, and me, demonstrating many of CSIDE’s awesome features. It also includes a live demonstration of starting and coding a game in CSIDE.)

9 Likes

2 Likes
8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: [CSIDE] The ChoiceScript IDE