Choice Script Changes To Run Tests With Firefox ver 68 ( See Post 12 & 31)

It doesnt work goes javascript error even in a totally empty files. I still can use pc half of week so no problem after all is not CS fault

1 Like

Everytime I run Quicktest, then, I have to do the extra clicks of “uploading” the scenes file? It doesn’t take long, of course, but when I have to run it hundreds of time to bugcheck, it does get a little annoying. Is there no way to avoid that?

1 Like

I think this is the price all of us pay so that we have the ability to use all of our devises with the same product. Because there is a security threat for Android phone, every Firefox user must now go through this.

I hope Dan or another can figure out a work-around, because I agree that the added steps make a repetitive task very tedious and weary.

Edit – @Jacic --I won’t ever use Chrome or Edge and prefer Firefox.

2 Likes

I’m still running old firefox (Grab the install off the site before they update again in case you decide you need it down the track!) At the moment it’s just easier to do it that way and then use chrome for web browsing. It’s annoying and I hope Dan can figure out a work around, but that’s what I’m doing for now.

Edit @Eiwynn yeah, I’m not a biggest fan of Chrome and don’t like edge. I’d like to have firefox back.

2 Likes

In my pc i have the old firefox and old choice works great . With the new i have problems with testing so for now i maintain older. My pain is with Android as firefox has destroyed my favorite place to code. I mean i can code but now i can not test or run in my tablet or mobile

I believe CSIDE still will work with Android, have you checked it out and attempt running the tests within CSIDE?

2 Likes

Yes it requires firefox for both running he game and testing and it also is not very comfortable ina tablet or even less in a phone

1 Like

CSIDE will continue to work as it’s essentially built atop its own personal browser (Chromium in this case). This has pros, and cons. One pro in this case being that it has direct access to the file system, hence doesn’t need this workaround.

I’m not sure about Firefox but you can disable this security feature in Chrome (that might not help with mobile though). Not that I necessarily advise doing so. If you do, you’ll definitely want to turn it back on before doing any real browsing.

2 Likes

I’ve just built out a new, more convenient way to test ChoiceScript, saving you from having to click the “Upload” button every time you test.

First, you’ll need to install Node.js and you’ll need the latest version of ChoiceScript from Github.

Next, you’ll need to open your “Command Prompt” (on Windows) or “Terminal” (on macOS), and cd to the directory containing ChoiceScript.

There, you can run these commands:

• node serve: Creates a basic localhost web server on a random port number and launches your ChoiceScript game there. You can refresh your browser to test your updated code, just like you used to in the good old days. (Note that if the command prompt/terminal window closes, the server will stop, and your browser tab will stop working.)

• While you’re running node serve, you can replace web/mygame/index.html with quicktest.html to run QuickTest. Refresh the browser to re-run quicktest.html.
    • You can instead replace web/mygame/index.html with randomtest.html to run RandomTest. Refresh the browser to re-run randomtest.html.
  • node quicktest: Run QuickTest in your command prompt or terminal. You may find that node quicktest runs more quickly than quicktest.html.

• node randomtest num=10: Run RandomTest in your command prompt or terminal. Change the num to any number you like.

There are other randomtest options available, like this:

node randomtest num=10 seed=4
    node randomtest avoidUsedOptions=false showChoices=false
    node randomtest showText=false showCoverage=false

These options work exactly like the checkboxes in randomtest.html.

You don’t have to install Node to test ChoiceScript or do any of the stuff described here; using Node just saves you from having to click on the Upload button each time you test.

7 Likes

There are two different Node versions, which should we use?

Either one is fine.

2 Likes

In the latest version of ChoiceScript up on Github, it’s now somewhat easier to get this stuff to work.

You do still have to install Node.js (one time only). Then, when you download and extract ChoiceScript, you’ll see I’ve added some new scripts to launch the ChoiceScript server.

• Windows: Double-click on run-server.bat . Windows hides the part of the file name after the dot, so run-server.bat looks like run-server .
    • The first time you run it, Windows will pop up the Windows Defender SmartScreen (“Windows protected your PC”). Click “More Info” and then “Run anyway.”
  • Mac: Double-click on serve.command .
    • The first time you run serve.command on a Mac, double-clicking won’t work. (“‘serve.command’ can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.”) Hold the Control key on your keyboard, click on the serve.command file, and click Open. From now on, double-clicking will work.

Launching the ChoiceScript server will open a window for the server, and it will also open your browser, showing you the example game. You can just refresh your browser to test modifications to your game.

You can stop the server by closing its window. If the server stops, you won’t be able to refresh ChoiceScript in your browser; you’ll need to launch the server again to continue using ChoiceScript.

You can also run Quicktest and Randomtest in a similar way:

• run-quicktest.bat on Windows, quicktest.command on Mac
  • run-randomtest.bat on Windows, randomtest.command on Mac

Once you’ve jumped through all of the hoops, running the game and the tests is as easy as double-clicking, just like it used to be.

I’ve updated the Introduction to ChoiceScript and the Testing ChoiceScript pages on our website to match these instructions.

3 Likes

This is simply terrible. I can’t even upload the folder. Does anybody know how to upload the choicescript folder?

Here’s what I did:
I placed the .txt files in the scenes folder of the updated CS I downloaded from Github
clicked the browse button in my firefox browser
selected the scenes folder but it just keeps on opening and showing my .txt files instead.
tried dragging the folder to the empty space before the browse button but it only shows the directory.
when i click index.html still it redirects to the upload folder page.

Please help.

Did you try the instructions from my post right before yours? Install Node, double click on run-server.bat or serve.command? That eliminates the need to do the upload thing.

1 Like

No. Is there another option where I don’t have to install Node? In case I use a public computer to run CS stuff.

Unfortunately the options are extremely limited.

You can use CSIDE. That’s a great and easy option for most people, though it doesn’t help your issue with using a public computer.

1 Like

I guess the thing to do is to help you figure out the upload. Are you on Windows?

Using the github, non-Node version, I’ve been able to get good results using the Upload method.

However, I can’t seem to get line coverage statistics to work. All the other options are successful, but not that one. I’m using Firefox. Does anyone else have similar results?

Thanks for patching this!

@dfabulich Yes. I’m on Windows using firefox ver. 6.0.2

For those looking to downgrade Firefox, this is a good guide. Downgrade to version 67.0.

Now, you’ll need to follow THESE STEPS to disable updates, or Firefox will upgrade you again. This should leave you with a stable build that can run the Choicescript tests.

It’s not an optimal solution, but once it’s done you won’t have to screw around with anything else for the foreseeable future.

2 Likes