Choice of the Vampire - community input

When you say “join the LPE,” do you mean the planning/organizing committee?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. And yes! I figured a character who mastered finance would get me there but it hasn’t yet

Are talking about this option?

In March, Congress votes to authorize the Louisiana Purchase Exposition—to celebrate the centennial of the Purchase—two years hence. The LPE Corporation is immediately formed of local businessmen with the goal of making this the greatest exhibition ever staged in the history of the world—and to promote St. Louis as a center of both commerce and culture.

As the spring passes, how do you focus your efforts?
  #I wish to become a member of the LPE Corporation.

The current requirements are that you have (income * 1000) + wealth > $10,000,000.

Admittedly, that $10M number is a rabbit out of a hat. Tell me what your income/wealth is for your character, and maybe I’ll lower it.

I might also lower the $10M by a factor of $local_fame.

2 Likes

Yep!

I figured it would be somewhere close to 10 million. I’m at 7 right now. I’m sure 10 is possible though.

I have a Spanish character for the high starting wealth
Van der Ahe as my dominus for finance advantage
Finance: 4 Charm:4

Balancing is part of the beta process. $10M may be too high.

I’ll keep playing with it to see if I can get 10. Really like where the story is headed.

1 Like

You use the word ‘abolishment’ which really isn’t a proper word. The correct word is abolition. It’s sort of like how people use the words ‘coronated’ and ‘irregardless’ when the correct words are ‘crowned’ and ‘regardless’. dd

1 Like

I see you’ve now inserted this scene where the Dominus instructs one’s character on Vampire spittle. For the characters this scene appears before, perhaps it might be good to change the scene just before one embarks on dealing with the rogue Lumberjack vampire that’s leaves dead bodies about where the Dominus says that he did once instruct the character on blood spittle.

Sorry, I can’t parse what you’re trying to say here.

I didn’t really explain myself properly. What I meant was that there’s generally a scene just before the Dominus dispatches the character to deal with the redneck vampire where the former brings up how the former taught the latter about licking vampire bites.

It always read as though the senior vampire had forgotten that he hadn’t quite taught his offspring everything he should have while a character taken as the lover of a Vampire is given more attention. In one of the more recent updates you introduced the below scene where a character turned into a vampire without being the Dominus’ lover can be sometimes told about the ability to lick bites.

In these instances it makes the latter scene a continuity error where the character shouldn’t really act in surprise about the licking of bites as they would already know.

The second thing is with West’s offspring where he’ll tell the character about Governors. However a character that goes on from his tutelage to New Orleans then gets the below scene where he doesn’t seem to be aware of the existence of Governors in the Society. That ought to be addressed too.

I was also curious about your thoughts of vampire characters who’ve killed West in the first scene of the game and go on to be ‘brought up’ as it were by the Dutch Merchant in New Orleans. They lack the stigma of other West offspring and their parentage goes without much mention unless the character actively asks about his Dominus. Is it simply because the character’s parentage isn’t really known by the Dutch Merchant, the Governor when she visits and so forth or is it that as the character is regarded as having been quickly abandoned by his creator and raised by a proper Vampire, so to speak, that the character is somehow regarded as less tainted? Anyway, your thoughts would be of interest.

Furthermore: St Louis is filled with instances of the Priest rarely being referred to as such, being called Mr this and that. One instance of many is below: mr

One of those rare scenes is when the Priest meets Gonsoulin, the Priest from the start of the game, in St Louis. Though the former’s name is Alexander in this playthrough, the text has him down as being called Michael. Which again, is rather odd. gon

Also this line about concurring/differing suggestions still appears when one has chosen to observe the other vampires rather than offer a proposal on catching West:

And could an option being inserted here to keep one’s gob shut as there’s plenty of reason not to want to say anything at all?

Silence could also extend here in the sense of having an option to keep quiet for the reason of not caring about Cuba either way as opposed to banking on backing some revolutionaries later on. silences

It’s because you’re lying. If you told him you had the same name as your grandfather…I mean, I suppose you could have the same name as your grandfather. But the idea here is that the PC is lying. And Michael/Michelle is a pretty generic name. But I could make that clearer.

1 Like

Oh you don’t need to. I just misread it. More my error than yours.

Have you considered, in the same way that a German character can be involved with German organisations, allowing a Black character from New Orleans onward to be involved in some form of underground railroad organisation too? Also in the scene with the Haitian Lady, could you add some comments where she acknowledges a character’s racial background if he’s a former slave or whatever? And if contact details are exchanged in the walk to the Bank are you considering further scenes between the character and the Haitian Lady?
Furthermore, with the consideration of adding romantic/more friendly personal elements and opportunities for such between a character and Becard, could you add an opportunity to feed with her in the way there is with Eliot? At the moment there really doesn’t seem to be many opportunities for interaction which limits the game’s replayability a bit.

1 Like

Yeah, that was just lazy coding. I literally have a variable to track that properly, but wasn’t using it. Will be fixed in the next update.

Again, I have a variable for that, but didn’t set it during the Mexico trip. Fixed now.

I actually hadn’t given this any thought. It’s worth exploring.

That said, I’m not sure why West-patricide PC is your test case here. Whether the PC is a child of West and/or killed their dominus, the point worth exploring is the “adoption” of the PC by the Quaestor of New Orleans.

That’s what beta reading is for. :slight_smile: I’ve fixed it in some places, but if you see it in others, please screenshot it.

Will fix.

So, I hate “stay silent” and “do nothing” #options. They’re terrible for both gameplay and dramatic reasons. Is there something else active you would want to do or say there?

I hadn’t considered the Underground Railroad. However, there’s a big time jump between 1830 and 1863 in the game, and I’m not planning on filling it in right now. My perception of the UR is that it was at its peak during that time jump. Maybe at a future time.

Sure!

Yes, you can meet her again at the World’s Fair. Also, I need to write a scene about sending some support to Haiti.

Have you uncovered Bécard’s particular delusion?

When they get news of the revolution, my character who has 3 in lore mentions not knowing the titles even though when you get lore 3 they mention the titles within the society. Just a small thing i noticed, sorry if it has already been mentioned.

Picture

Where did you boost your lore to 3 where the titles were explained? That’s where the bug is.

Because looking at timejump1 (between New Orleans and Vicksburg), *consul_praetor_explained is set to true in the appropriate place, and it’s checked in that part of vicksburg_denouement.

You’re playing the beta, right?

Oh I werent, then i apologize for wasting your time.
Love the games anyway!

Pushed an update. Mostly the bugfixes that were pointed out above.

2 Likes
  1. As requested below are all the instances where Mr is used instead of Father:

f10
    f20

2. Secondly, I noticed that all the scenes in St Louis assume that the character can speak English. It might be worth sorting out or deciding whether or not to force the character at this point to learn English as can be done if a character remains illiterate in Memphis. That being said, there are a couple of non English speaking character scenes that need sorting out.

Firstly, this is a scene where the character’s mothertongue is Spanish not German:

Secondly, in this scene the non English speaking character has perception levels of three. Since these levels allow one to detect and gage the emotions in others beyond spoken words, perhaps a non English character could pick up on Calkins hiding something even if he can’t understand English. Of course, telling Withers doesn’t mean she’ll believe the character as the latter won’t necessarily be able to point out how he knows Calkins is lying. Perhaps it could be a relations based thing where she either dismisses the character’s suspicions out of hand or ask him to investigate further.

Finally, below is an instance where the character can’t speak English but has the high levels of charm that allow one to paralyse another through one’s gaze. I don’t think those powers of persuasion would work below when the character can’t speak English.

1. Thirdly, our Germanic maiden has been going by Fräulein the entire game it seems inconsistent to suddenly have Herr Aichinger address a young lady as Frau. The wider question with these titles is are we in the 19th Century or not game wise and it’s only consistent to use the titles of the period rather than ones one might use in the present. It’s like how the Indian translator goes from Mademoiselle, the French Miss, to Ms in Vicksburg, which is, immersion breaking, for lack of a better phrase in the early 1860s.

2. Fourthly, during the strikes, a trade unionist, pro worker character is really left with very few options during the second round choices shown below. The terror option only seems to yield anything if one has shape-shifting powers. It might be nice to have some more options if one’s on the side of the worker.

3. Fifthly, an option to support the Divine Right of Kings on Theological grounds as opposed to pure pragmatism would be good, especially given Charles’ generosity to the Church which a Priestly character might have some sympathy with.

4. Sixthly, the Priest having this scene is a bit peculiar given the Vows of Celibacy and the Catholicism of the residents of New Orleans.

5. Seventhly, there are a few instances where a character who has discovered the Partridge plot won’t get to ask about it at the closing scene of Memphis when Dido’s been popped off.

6. Eighthly, in German the plural of Biergarten is Biergärten with the umlaut making it plural. In German the ‘s’ isn’t used to make something plural.

7. Ninethly, I see your point on the silence front but if one is determined to play a character that likes to stay in the shadows, hates the society, doesn’t give a damn about the Revolution either way and so forth, to force the character to say something is just, uncharacteristic, so to speak. But since silence isn’t an option, couldn’t there be an option to go straight to someone like Sabine or Harem, Herr A or whomever and get their thoughts on the matter at hand. That would allow a character that wishes to avoid the limelight to continue to do so.

8. Tenthly: For those characters with a technological slant, it might be a nice idea to add a tech based desire, to move science forwards with a new device or whatever.

9. Eleventhly, in the same scene with Don Nando as the Dominus it has Jesse feeling disconcerted by being surrounded by Spaniards. It might be worth using the line with Padre Carlos and the character when he’s a Spanish Priest.

Lastly, I’ve sent you some thoughts on Bécard.

I enjoyed the new installment a lot! Here are some of the bugs I found :slight_smile:

My German character met Clotho but did not speak to her. On our second meeting I had the option to ask why her accent disappeared, despite never speaking to her… It also gets explained again in the next scene. It feels like I just shouldn’t have had the option to ask the first time, although Clotho complimenting me on my French was cute!

The game always thinks I don’t know Abigail Coffin in the second reception, even though we not only talked but I even convinced her to vote for Malloy. This happened on a couple of play throughs and builds. Also, it was a bit weird that I could reintroduce myself to Malloy, given that I had also spoken to her in the first reception… Why do I need to reintroduce myself? Also, it seemed a bit weird that the game assumed I had no idea who the Italian woman was given that Jesse specifically pointed her out to me.

I met Pike at the KKK party where he complained about Catholics & how we’d all be indebted to him… I later on fed on him & we had an identical conversation. I didn’t screenshot the first conversation but here is the second one:

When talking to Fragalia, I would pick a conversation option but my previous picks wouldn’t disappear when the conversation advanced. The option to ask about 1848 wouldn’t disappear either, although I forgot to screenshot that question. I did enjoy how blunt we could be to him…

I paid to have Maeve’s nephew sent to Dr. Kellogg’s sanitarium, he later died there. Later on, I paid to have my neighbor sent to a sanitarium as well. Maeve recommends Dr. Kellogg’s sanitarium again, which seemed really weird to me given that the in game text had implied her nephew died there in dubious circumstances. Also, the game implies she didn’t know about Dr. Kellogg the second time around.

I didn’t really understand what this was going for - I invested in the university & discovered a psychiatric asylum that was somehow connected, but it was never mentioned again in-game. It seemed fitting to tie it in to the plot line with the servant’s nephew or with the dying neighbor, but instead I just kept sending people to die at Dr. Kellogg’s sanitarium. :flushed:

I didn’t accept Norris’s offer (the game only gave me the option to reject him based on religious principle, which was odd in and of itself). The game later on acted like I did…

Carothers thanks me for my efforts during the first caucus, even though I didn’t do anything… I didn’t change anyone’s opinion or get anyone to drop out, so I didn’t feel like the impasse was my fault.