Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

New draft posted! New chapters released!

Will think about these questions this week.

8 Likes
*if clotho_ordered_killed
	*choice
		*if interlocutor = "quaestor"
			*selectable_if (compassion > 30) #The better to know my enemy.  If he thinks I have forgotten about Clotho, the better for my plans of revenge.
		*if interlocutor = "jesse"
			*selectable_if (compassion > 30) #The better to know my enemy.  If he thinks I have forgotten about Clotho, the better for my plans of revenge.
		*if interlocutor = "estefania"
			*selectable_if (compassion > 30) #The better to know my enemy.  If she thinks I have forgotten about Clotho, the better for my plans of revenge.

Is this not what you’re looking for? Because to me, this addresses that.

That’s an interesting idea about sabotaging the parties. That would require a lot more writing, however. I’m trying to focus on forward movement, tweaks, and personalization, rather than new plots.

And yes, the idea of teaming up with vampire hunters is on my mind. :slight_smile:

@Nocturnal_Stillness

Yes, I suppose, but it requires a lot of blood for a small period of “life.” To have something resembling an enjoyable length of sex, you’d have to have a dozen or more humans ready and available to be drained.

That said, sex itself would drastically diminish in importance to vampires. There is no hormone drive towards it. There might be a desire for intimacy, but intimacy doesn’t require sex. Some very human vampires might try to/want to have sex out of nostalgia or compulsion, but it’d be like trying to reenact a memory, not because they desire it.

If anything, a vampire might be into BDSM, since that is/can be about power and sensual experience rather than sex.

12 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for replying.

I’ve found something that might be intentional, or might be a mistake.

It’s something at character generation, after picking the Choctaw interpreter background. At the section about the relationship with the player character’s father.

"With the Louisiana Purchase, everything changed for your family. The Americans brought new laws, new businesses, and new customs to the people of the Mississippi.

One night, listening to your father railing against the changes around him, you
 "

You have the option of saying “
urged my father to consult the local priest for guidance.”, given that you can be of the Choctaw people’s traditional faith would it maybe be better to consult the elders or a shaman? I don’t know much of anything about traditional Native American faiths, but I don’t think they had priests. Or perhaps make picking faith happen earlier for this background and have something appropriate thereafter.

Are you playing the beta? I actually made a change right there about six weeks ago.

No, I’m not playing the beta.

@jasonstevanhill Yea that part right there is just heavily reliant on Clotho being an RO and assumes the fact that you made the decision to turn her into a vampire.

I was thinking more so when you first meet Estefania and she asks you what you intend to do with your undead life and getting the choice to decide to dedicate your immortal life to the eradication of all other vampires not just the ones in New Orleans who killed Clotho as revenge for being forced to be made into one of them. And since your main goal is to decrease the population of vampires you wouldn’t go around turning others into vampires.

Oh, there.

See, this is why I need screenshots or quotes.

Sure, I can put something there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Once this series gets to more modern times, how good would the latest artificial blood/plasma be for that purpose?
Alternatively since Vamps can feed on animal blood would two cows do it? even if it is just a reenactment.

True enough, since my main boy in your series gets progressively fancier and more refined as we go along it isn’t much of a stretch to say his sexual and romantic inclinations become more complex too, including elements of BDSM.

Don’t hold me to it but I have been making notes and should hopefully have something actionable in the coming weeks. What I really miss for the testing is the dashingdon save system though not having it slows beta testing down considerably here for me, since as a series this is starting to get long with more and more branches by now.

1 Like

I’ve found some errors. In the beta this time. :wink:

"Several months later, you arrive at Withers’s on a Tuesday evening. You are surprised to see Anselm answering the door.

"Anselm? What are you doing here? Why aren’t you on your farm?"

“Well, Quaestor Withers has made me like you.”

“I’m sorry?”

“I am a vampire.”

Shaking your head in disbelief, you push past Anselm, and seek Withers inside. "

I did not give Anselm a farm of his own, and I highly doubt he could afford one of his own.
"The mob turns to look on this an Indian man who demands they stop. A leader steps forward, and from beneath his mask intones, “Do not interfere with the righteous deeds of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, lest you bring the focus of our unlidded eye upon you!” You quaver under the gaze of all these faceless men, staring at you from the depths of their hatred. Between this palpable threat of violence, and the multitude of torches in their possession, you feel yourself backing down and seeking to disappear into the crowd of onlookers. Moments later, the mob returns to the task at hand. With a gesture, several of the men in sackcloth grasp the rope, pulling their victim into the air. Their leader stands forward to speak while the man jerks and dances his way out of this world. “We, the Ku Klux Klan, do hereby execute the sentence delivered unto Robert Jordan, for violence committed against members of the natural citizenry of Memphis.”"

“The mob turns to look on this an Indian man who demands they stop.” This sentence is awkward. Also it’s a wall of text.
"You wake up on the evening of the election to find a note waiting for you. You rap your fingers impatiently as you wait for Franklin to read it to you. "

I received this note even after Carothers told me my presence was unwanted due to my non-existent status.

I also believe I should have more options on what to do after being told I’m unwanted. I only had these to options:

1. I gave my word to Withers that I would capture her errant offspring.

2. I may have given my word to Samantha, but I certainly didn’t mean for that to take precedence over an event such as this! Besides, I can always hunt down Wilson after the gathered vampires depart.

The second option doesn’t recognize Anselm as her offspring. And perhaps there should be something that would better reflect that I am not wanted. And something to reflect characters that don’t care much about vampire society, have high independence or would prioritize finding the source of a plague outbreak over politics.
As far as I can see, there is actually only one instance where Anselm is correctly described as a one-eyed German-Cajun, which is here:

"You follow the messenger to the Pinch. You wondered why she hadn’t been in attendance earlier this evening. Following the messenger into an alley, you find Dido whimpering between two barrels.

“Ahs glad you is he-ah,” she says through clenched teeth.

“What happened to you?”

“Ah don’ rightly know. Some one-eyed German-Cajun got dah jump on me. He put dis stake right on through me. Den he looks me in dah eye, all grinnin like he wuz touched.” "

All other places I found he is described the same way as Wilson, a one-eared negro.
Would it be possible to ask birds and other animals if they’ve seen Samantha’s errant offspring?
“Mayor Flippin meets with a large portion of the creditors, offering fifty cents on the dollar. For once, you are grateful for your general lack of means: you do not hold any municipal bonds as part of your assets. That aside, there will be a meeting tomorrow of the creditors, where they will discuss the offer. Carothers has made his opinion clear that the city would benefit from the creditors accepting Flippin’s offer.”

I have these options:

1. I hold no bonds; I have no need to bother with these affairs.

2. Even though I hold no bonds, I send my attorney to help the creditors press for a better offer.

3. Considering the financial panic and my faith in Carothers’ leadership, I think now is the time to buy more of these bonds. Of course, I will negotiate for a quality rate.

But I do hold bonds, I invested 500 dollars earlier.

"“Oh, no dear. I was born on a plantation outside of Nashville
way back in 1806. The Hermitage
have you heard of it? I contracted the scarlet fever as a child and lost my eyesight, and my mammie was afraid that I was going to be sold away or something even worse. But instead, when I got older, the master of the plantation sent away for a tutor, and they had me learn my letters. Eventually, he even gave me my freedom and sent me to Ohio to get my teaching certificate.”

"What an extraordinary slaveholder!" "

This conversation is with Carother’s daughter.

In part 1 of the game, when you live in the village you hire Anselm in, you have the option of declaring that slavery is an anathema to you in response to being offered a girl. I feel it’s that a vampire that holds such an opinion to call any slaveholder extraordinary in a positive manner is very strange.
Since you are not contributing to the preparations for the reception, you have some time to direct you attentions to other purposes.

1. TODO Sell Bonds?
  2. It’s time to invest my money in some ventures; I don’t want to lose my capital in another bank failure.
  3. I continue my search for Anselm.
  4. I seek to expose the illogic of the Spencer sisters’ theology.
  5. I drive the Spencer sisters from Memphis.
  6. I murder the Spencer sisters.
  7. I confront the Spencer sisters and demand a portion of their revenue.

Perhaps add an option to help getting that school for the blind up? Maybe try to find investors, with high charm/intelligence/streetwise, I believe it should be possible to find someone. Maybe ignore this, just noticed it was possible later in the game.
Also, I find it odd that you choose to not tell Carother’s about the thing that turned Stennis into chunky salsa. While on the subject of Stennis, I believe that a vampire with high perception should be able to spot the trap Stennis steps in.
After trapping Anselm:

"“Wut you want from me?” he exclaims. “Ahs didn’ do nuttin.” Apparently, he has a short memory. Dido would certainly beg to differ. "

This does not match the speech pattern Anselm has in the rest of the game.
"The two stand at your entrance, and extend their hands in greeting. “You must be Hiloha Okshakla,” the blond begins. “I am John Bailey, Senator of St. Louis.”

“A pleasure, sir,” you reply with a smile.

“It was unfortunate that we did not have the opportunity to meet in Memphis; I would have thought you would have attended the caucuses there.” "

Carothers told me my presence was unwanted. Perhaps this should reflect in this dialogue.

What had you done with Anselm, though?

This appears in multiple places in different contexts. What did the note say?

I just let him go, released him from his service.

I don’t remember precisely, I’m going to replay that part with no status again to refind it.

EDIT: Refound the part. That was embarrassing, I was misreading that part, just ignore that particular error I reported.

Found some other things. I noticed my reply was really long, going to try using this fancy Hide Details to make it hopefully easier to read.

Anselm bug 1.

He stops and gazes at you across the flames. You’re not sure, but you think you see the faint reflection of bloodtears on his face.

"Ah ain’t givin’ up yet. There’s gotta be some way ta’ go back. Ah ain’ afeared uh dyin’ no mo’. Ah jus’ afeard uh dyin’ uh vampiah."

“And you think you can find some way to become mortal again?”

"Ah can hope. It’s all dis ol’ body 's got leff."

With that, he turns and exits the warehouse; apparently, he had an exit prepared, one you had not noticed earlier. You watch him go, the flames between you still roaring.

Anselm spoke like Wilson.

Anselm bug 2

He stands beneath the streetlamp. You have a weird sense of déjà vu: here he stands, beneath the same streetlamp as four years ago, waiting to impart word of Anselm.

Stennis waves hello when he sees you approaching. You thought it best not to terrify him with a sudden appearance; it might make the interrogation more difficult than it needs to be. “Evenin’, sir.”

“Good evening, Stennis.”

"I think I’ve found him. I seen that one-eared negro."

“Where?”

“I will take you there.”

I was looking for Anselm, not Wilson.

Anselm bug 3

Mr. Casey answers the door. As with Lonergan, his eyes are jaundiced; strikingly, the rest of his skin has a yellow cast to it as well. He still walks, so there may be hope for him yet.

He address you in English. Presumably he’s asking who you are and what you want.

You try to mime Hugh’s gap teeth, and his eyes go wide. He begins babbling, but you can’t understand a word.

Finally, you gesture ‘enough’ with your hand; he knows something, but whatever it is, it’s not for you to decipher. Frustrated, you feel as though you have made little progress in your investigations, but you do not see what more you can do tonight.

I was looking for Anselm, not Hugh.

No choices error

Hiram snorts. “To stop drinking blood? How would you do that? By becoming human again?”

“Well, I don’t know about becoming human again, but we don’t have to drink human blood to survive.”

“Pardon?”

“We can live off of animal blood. Or so I am told. I simply cannot stomach it, otherwise I would abstain from human blood entirely.”

Hiram marvels at this. “To no longer drink the blood of humans
” he whispers.

“No more petty cruelties, as you say. No more deception, no more taking while giving nothing in return.”

“I mean, you’re still taking while giving nothing in return, but at least it’s not from sentient beings,” you observe.

“Do you wish to only feed from vegetables, then?”

“I would like to stop drinking blood altogether, yes. And while I may not be ready to end mine own existence quite yet, being able to continue without these nightly crimes might make the whole thing more endurable.”

“Perhaps we will do so together?”

When I got to this page I was greeted with an error message, and I had no options. They’re not greyed out, there aren’t any appearing at all.

Missing sentence

“Absalom Pickering, of Mobile. I would consider him the favored of the candidates, what with the likely support of Coffin, Lockridge, and Simmons.”

“Simmons?”

“Yes, Charles Simmons. The Senator from Mobile.”

“And he will support Pickering?”

“I would count on it,” he replies. “And then there is Siobhan Malloy.”

"The Irishwoman, I presume?"

"You are correct."

"No, I haven’t."

“She has her charms.”

I think there is a sentence missing between “You are correct.” and “No, I haven’t”.

Short term memory loss and Anselm bug 4

You wake up on the evening of the election to find a note waiting for you. Unfolding it, you scan the lines quickly.

One of the individuals you hired years ago to keep an eye out for Wilson—a man by the name of Stennis—claims to have spotted the errant whelp. He requests that you join him in the Pinch.

Of course, you cannot imagine a worse moment for Wilson to come crawling out of the woodwork. Should the senators catch wind of this, Withers would be terrifically embarrassed.

Besides, what are you going to do, shirk the most important event of the decade?"

1) I gave my word to Withers that I would capture her errant offspring.
2) I may have given my word to Samantha, but I certainly didn’t mean for that to take precedence over an event such as this! Besides, I can always hunt down Wilson after the gathered vampires depart.

I gave Withers no such word, I was cast out of her city when I told her the confederacy was on the wrong side of history and was destined to fall. I was ordered by Carothers to catch her errant offspring, who is Anselm, not Wilson.

This doesn't fit on a high compassion vampire

A bierfrau backs into you, spilling the contents of several tankards on you. You pause in frustration, using a dramatic gesture to sweep some of the beer from your clothes.

She looks at you in terror, stuttering an incoherent apology. Were others of your kind not waiting for you, you wonder whether you would have been able to resist the urge to take out some sort of vengeance on the poor girl.

The woman who beckoned you is tall, blonde, and buxom. She does not smile at you when she curtsies. “I am Sigrid, ja? If you need anything while you are in the home of Herr Aichinger, I would be happy to provide it to you.”

A bit out of character for a vampire with high compassion.

Continuity error with deacon

He looks at you askance. "Your grandfather was Antonio Rodriguez?"

“Yes, he was.”

“Well, I suppose that makes sense. You are the spitting image of him.”

I changed my character’s name recently, but the old deacon refers to my “grandfather” using my new name.

Kinda weird lack of pattern recognition moment

“The second card is the source of the challenge.” She draws and places another card, Temperance, upside down before her. "The problem is one of passion. Desires and impulses have trumped reason. Perhaps there is a drunkard in your life, who has lost themselves to the bottle?"

You try to suppress a smile. A drunkard? What vampire would succumb to drink? "

I find it odd that a high intelligence character or his progeny don’t link West and the drunkard together for this reading, or perhaps it’s linked to perception/superstition? Either way, the entire reading is suspiciously close, in mundane terms, to what’s going on in the main character’s unlife. You don’t need masterful pattern recognition skills to spot that. Might be a nice moment to start believing in tarot readings.

Game kinda asks if I feel like voicing an opinion, but doesn't let me stay quiet if I don't

But that is what progress is built upon, Senator. One must take risks. One must invest in the future. Even now, as our citizens prepare their proposals to Congress to host the Columbian Exposition, we must consider what it means that Chicago has two of these buildings, and when offered the opportunity to build one, we reject it? No. If we do this, that city will surpass us in influence, both in the mortal world and in the Society. We must not stand in the way of this project." You sense that, were Aichinger still mortal, he would be out of breath at this point. Perhaps even red in the face.

You sense that now would be the time for you to speak your mind, were you so inclined.
1) I too urge Memeskia to allow the project to proceed.
2) I express my concerns about the safety of those constructing the building.
3) I express my concerns about the safety of those inhabiting the building.
4) I do my best to ask Memeskia about his concerns.

Is there a particular reason I can’t simply stay quiet?

I'm only given one possible motive for not doing something

Considering the months you have before you, before the reception, you realize that there may be ways that you can affect the election before the various Senators have even arrived. With a few well-placed words, is it possible that you could decide the identity of the Senator of Memphis? Of course, you will have to ask Franklin to pen these letters for you. Are you willing to endure this indignity?

1. Yes, it is important that I correspond with the other attendees before next year’s election.
  2. No. I cannot stand to humble myself before my servant.

Maybe add an option for someone that just don’t want to send any mail, not because of some indignity. And maybe something for characters who were unwelcome at the previous gathering.

@jasonstevanhill i replayed a few days and was killed by carothers
 then replayed with a powerfull mc in strenght did the same to see if carothers fight me but he just made me go away from his city
 so i wonder if there is any way to kill him?

To kill Carothers? No.

(Because of plans for later on, that’s not something that I intend to add as a possibility.)

It would be an awesome opportunity to murder all village due to high STR stat when they making a stand against your omnious presense. While no matter how strong my character is they always prevail and that was petty experience in the first few playthroughs.

1 Like

i wanted to kill him since he killed her servant though he dont attack you when you are more powerfull than him , very Smart.
Can you spoil us of who we can kill in the 3rd book¿? like–> jesse, cant wait to kill him

The highest your Strength can be in St. Charles is 3, which is professional-athlete level, not superhuman. So, yes, it doesn’t matter how good of an athlete you are, you’re not able to fight off dozens of attackers with polearms.

Why do you want to keep quiet? Because these things are beneath you? Because you don’t want to offend the other people in the room? What?

What were the circumstances in which Carothers told you your presence was unwanted?