Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

A situation I would have enjoyed using shape-shifting in the Memphis game would be to move in-and-out of the Union blockade. The possibilities of such shenanigans multiply with each motive I can think to use such a power during this situation.

A situation I would have enjoyed using shape shifting in the New Orleans game would be to hunt the rogue vampire … Other man-hunt scenarios would benefit from being able to shift into a wolf.

A situation I can think of with the St. Louis area is to explore the huge cave system in that area ( I forget the name of it off-hand) for either a future escape/safe house location or for the location of a new vampire-den.

I’m sure, given the story narrative, I could come up with more interesting possibilities.

I look forward to whatever you write; your vampire story/game is one of my all-time favorites and inspires me to this day.

Ah, but, SS 4 is needed to fully change form. You can only get up to SS 2 by the end of Memphis, and 3 in St. Louis. So…maybe for Chicago? That might help with the bootleggers… :slight_smile:

People have asked–repeatedly–about specific opportunities to use SS 1 and 2 in the extant games. It’s the sort of thing where I’m looking for someone to say, “hey, in this particular choice, where you’re trying to achieve X, could you add an #option to use recruit some rats/bats/something to do Y for you to resolve the situation?”

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the feeding options are in Choice of the Vampire?

I think you’ll need to be more specific for this question, so we can help.

Yes, Charm 5 lets you affect memories. But no, there’s no way to get it yet.

That said, I have a bad habit of writing code that is entirely unreachable, in case I go back later and write a way to make it accessible.

Generally, though, that ends up just confusing/frustrating players.

2 Likes

So, Clotho from Memphis is, iirc, the niece of Clotho from New Orleans. For very specific (long-term) reasons, you can’t romance both of them.

I’m not even sure that you can meet both of them? Can you tell me more about how you managed that?

2 Likes

More generally: dusting off this thread as I continue to make progress on V3.

For anyone who hasn’t been following me on Twitter, I’ve been writing consistently for the past two months or so, and even added thousands of words to both V1 and V2.

Always looking for concrete suggestions to better tailor the game to your PCs.

19 Likes

You started up V3? thats cool

1 Like

Glad to see this going. Choice of the Vampire is one of the all-time most interesting CYOAs I’ve played. The “side stories” are beautifully written, and the death of a certain RO was the only RO I had ever been moved by, and the “hidden skills” really add to the unknown. I think my only gripe with all of the skills is that there aren’t many opportunities to explore them, which I found frustrating.

1 Like

Started? I never stopped. I just…slowed down to an inchworm for a few…years.

7 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it. Can you explain more what you mean by “hidden skills”?

1 Like

Didn’t some skills require the learning of other skills before they would show up on the character sheet?

Not that I can think of?

I mean, believe me, I may have forgotten something—I started writing this in January of 2010–but that doesn’t ring a bell.

I’ll do a replay this weekend and find out how senile I’m getting

1 Like

oh well im glad to hear you have been having more time to work on v3.
The previous 2 were quite enjoyable even the sad parts of the story kept me enraptured. best of luck and happiness aplenty.

1 Like

I’m referring to the different choices of prey in the game. What can your PC feed from?

Yeah I was wrong. Best I can imagine is the “unlocking” of initiate when trying to learn about the blood.

Playing through again, there is something I would like to see improved upon in the future versions. Especially in Memphis, I would be offered the opportunity to do something, sometimes a single event, sometimes a project. But if I declined, the time was just lost. I wouldn’t get an opportunity to do anything else, like try to find out more information on our kind, or look for Wilson, or train, or make more money…anything. Then, after months of doing nothing, you have to choose between two important events. I get the importance of making choices, but it felt contrived to have to make it in that case.

1 Like

Mostly only humans, but a couple of choices I think can let you feed on animals, though I’ve never tried.

Can you give me some specific examples in Memphis of where there was a choice to do or not do something, that you would have wanted an alternative for?

1 Like

In Memphis, I believe after the first failed session to elect a Senator, you are given the option to help plan the second session. If you decline, then you are given what appears to be 3 months of down time. That seemed like prime time to do some Wilson hunting, or just do anything to improve my abilities, or maybe try to work on the bonds situation.