Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

okay i was assuming that the yankee should have more money rather than isleno considering they have 1 financial point. my bad

1 Like

I would point out that the Southern Belle and a French Landowner!EmbracedofAffection both get money instead of a stat point in the same way as the IsleƱ@.

The Yankee comes to New Orleans seeking his fortuneā€¦meaning, he doesnā€™t have one yet.

2 Likes

From a roleplay perspective in could be said that not all investments were solid/profitableā€¦

Ugh, I came so close to nailing that on the headā€¦
:triumph:

The Yankee is gender-locked to male. Is he the only male gender lock? Are there any backgrounds that are gender-locked female?

Priest.

Southern belle

Southern Barrister and Southern Belle are basically the same. I donā€™t consider them to be gender-locked in the same way as priest and Yankee.

1 Like

okay just wistful thinking are you going to add more backgrounds for the mc jason ?

2 Likes

I would love a Jewish background, but I understand that would be a LOT of work, and that there were like a dozen Jews in New Orleans in 1815. Still, one can hope.

1 Like

I have a question about the LPE Masterwork achievement. According to the code, I have to be a member of the LPE, have more than 3 creation and more than 1 technology to achieve it. I was so sure Iā€™d get it in my current playthrough as a Yankee with 4 Creation, 2 Tech, 300+ income and 1,000,000+ wealth who had a good amount of local fame and was pretty anti-labor but I still canā€™t become a member of the LPE. What am I missing here? I really want to get that achievement. :sweat_smile:

Some questions and suggestions:

• When Hiram asks if we have any family to look out forā€¦ a German MC who reclaimed her childhood in Karlstein can tell him that she doesnā€™t know her familyā€™s whereabouts and will have an increased rapport. Meanwhile, IsleƱo characters know their family is deadā€”so would it be possible to tell Hiram that our family died during the British Invasion?

• Would it be possible for illiterate MCs to learn how to read and write when trying to increase rapport with Estefania, the Quaestor, and Jesse? We can ask Estefania to teach us Spanish and Jesse English, but I find it kind of strange we canā€™t ask them to teach us how to read and write.

• What other Indigenous languages does the Choctaw interpreter MC know? Their native tongue is Choctaw and they know at least a little Illiniwek. Will we have more opportunities to speak Choctaw (or other Indigenous languages) in the future?

• Could characters with high creation increase their income by becoming commissioned artists? Itā€™s really hard to increase your wealth for some backgrounds, especially if you were embraced by your makerā€™s affection. My artistic Scotch-Irish laundress is struggling. ;-;

Comments:
As a linguistics student, I love how you talked about the birth of thon. Very underrated pronoun in my opinion. And it was in Merriam-Webster! I also loved that you brought up the standardization of language in the recent update. Iā€™m def projecting my bias for descriptivism through my MCs who arenā€™t so keen on standardization. Sociolinguistics + vampire choice game? Iā€™m in Heaven.

I also agree with @apple, a Jewish background would be awesome. But I understand itā€™d be really time-consuming and you already have so many backgrounds to keep track of. Which, honestly, I really admire that! I wish there were more games where MCs could choose their heritage, which would be incorporated into the story. That way race and ethnicity arenā€™t left on the backburner. It feels more acknowledging, in my opinion.

5 Likes

1.Jason, is it possible for German MC to meet one of their siblingsā€™s descendent? Of courseā€¦ in later books.
2.I need to know why did choose West decide to turn Wotton but murder the whole Roanoke Village? It actually makes sense if Memenskia had a major role in ā€œlostā€ village since he hates colonists.
3.I think MC is able to break free that old indian guy with Memenskia but I canā€™t seem t achieve that in game.

Iā€¦uhā€¦fixed that. You should be able to do it now.

Added.

So, really, I should take out Jesse teaching English. I added Estefania teaching Spanish because I donā€™t plan on it mattering. Not really, not for a long time. But learning English is worth a point at chargen, and if youā€™re min-maxing, learning English from Jesse means you can have an extra point somewhere else.

In short, being literate and/or learning English really matters.

Thatā€™s funny, because I had an idea peripherally related to this.

But yes, Iā€™ll write up an opportunity to use Creation to make some money.

Agreed. Iā€¦really donā€™t like the singular ā€œthey.ā€ I use it if thatā€™s what people want, but zhe, xie, thonā€¦I prefer those. (Then again, Iā€™m not the one whose pronouns are being discussed, so Iā€™m my opinion doesnā€™t count for much.)

Yeah, thereā€™s supposed to be this whole subtext about language, but Iā€™m not necessarily talented enough to make it work.

I intend to go back and write one. There was actually a large Jewish population throughout the Caribbean, mostly the descendants of individuals expelled from Spain in 1492. So, yes, thereā€™s more than enough to justify the addition.

But in general, no, Iā€™m not planning on adding more backgrounds. The Jewish one is the exception.

Yes.

Geronimo? Yes, you should be able to free him. Where are you failing?

2 Likes

You just made my day! I assume we would be of Sephardic rather than Ashkenazi descent?

3 Likes

What about a female Quaestor? Could that be a possibility in the future?

:thinking:

Typo:

A letter arrives from Senator Bowater. In in, he claims that many vampires maintain some sort of contact with their mortal familiesā€”for a time.

I think you meant to say ā€œIn itā€.

1 Like

@mistylavenda give the first chapter another go.

4 Likes

when introducing yourself to yates, selecting *What do you do for fun? creates an error that says ā€œno coded textā€

1 Like

@jasonstevanhill

I think I caught an error. Right before I started the 4th chapter/entry (St. Louis) I opted to level up my Status stat, then I clicked next, and waitedā€¦ And that was all that I could do. Eventually I got one of those pop-up messages telling me that 2 windows (normal cog forum & playtest) were experiencing some error and that I could either wait or close them.

Iā€™ve tried it 3 times so Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s game related. I think I was going to get that achievement (Governorā€™s Favor, which raises Status stat) and then when I selected to increase that same stat independently it crashed.

Thanks.

Edit #1: My Status las level 2 before it crashed.

Edit #2: I chose to raise Lore instead and was able to keep playing as normal. Didnā€™t get the achievement (had already unlocked it from a previous run, I meant I didnā€™t get the pop-up that appears when you meet all the requirements), so that theoryā€™s out. :thinking:

Edit #3: line 414: No selectable options

1 Like

So, there will be no chance to kill WEST single-handedly, to diablerie him (as well other vampires) and get stats upgrade? And with that MC wont get an opportunity to become a senator? Dont get me unjust, third game is thick in a good way, reader can satisfy lot of roles to play. You can even become a god for mortals, but for some reason author don`t give us a chance to play AKA West gamestyle or brutal exterminator of any other NPC at sight like in Tin Star. To hunt others for power and vampire blood.

West is 1500 years old. Youā€™re 90. No, you cannot defeat him single-handedly.

12 Likes

what about lewis wotton ?

1 Like