Choice of the Vampire - community input [SEE POST 1305]

that being said can you give me steps for how to make memeskia spoke about typhoon, i already tried moving to kerry patch,building rapport with him yet still i can’t get him to talk.

I mentioned it in post 746, regarding the ways to gather points for investigating Memeskia. However, at the same time, prompting Memeskia to mention Tryphon, even if not by name, is currently impossible, because one can only gather 3 points maximum for investigating Memeskia, and the threshold for Memeskia speaking of Tryphon is more than 3 points.

Actually, speaking of which.

What is the reason for why your characrers support their faction? Are they heavily invested in the political machinations of the Society? Or more of a lone wolf taking a superficial stance? Is their position influenced by views they held as mortals? Changed after undeath?

2 Likes

okay about that i don’t get the choice to investigate the venice levee

Hm, well, if Technology and Perception are at least 1, with the haven being in East St. Louis across the river, one should be able to see the danger and investigate afterwards, regardless of whether the damage was mitigated or not.

It is possible that one may need to be warned by Fragala first. However, Fragala will only give a warning about the levee breaking if rapport with him is over 70 and Shepherd credentials are over 75.

My priest, being a member of the Church’s hierarchy in life, with everything that came with it, is heavily invested in the intrigues of the Society. His views are deeply influenced by his background and beliefs in life. My priest is rather conservative in many respects, and it is a struggle for him to keep up with the times, as he continuously slips into anachronistic habits of bygone days. It is not surprising that he detests chaotic upheaval, such as Stone’s rebellion, and he thus moves to restore stability and order to the proper hierarchy already in place, especially a well-established one that has been overseen for millennia, such as with Consul Adonis.

3 Likes

Well My Mc is a yankee entrepreneur he never really likes dealing with the society considering how much politics and backstabbing involved in it, he is downright independent and he only join in the society simply for appearance. he is neutral about stone revolution but considering he spent time talking to john bailey out of mortal affairs he got labelled as a revolutionary much to his annoyance. when it comes to shephard or wolf philosophy he is an opportunists considering his background as a business man and inventor. oh and he also hates religious or anarchic vampires

1 Like

I apologize for hijacking your questions :wink:

I admit, I tend to view my canon MC views herself as a bit of a warrior-bard. Naniya is the native interpreter, and scion of West. As you can guess, heavy emphasis goes toward Creation, Shapeshifting, Strength, and Fighting.

As for her motivation, it is two fold. First is to keep her culture alive as much as possible (hence Creation) and the second is dominance. After putting up with abuse from elders, etc. she decided enough was enough and resolved to become the toughest vampire around. That which doesn’t kill her (again) makes her stronger.

Needless to say, she is amused by both factions, but doesn’t ascribe to them. It is rather nice in game when the Society’s perception is they still have no clue :wink:

That said, she has given her undead beating heart to someone…Chiara Santiago, who she met over their preferred prey. Lady and Tramp montage it was not.

Not to double post, but this a bug I ran into. The character’s preferred prey was children, so I don’t know if this would have an effect on when this appeared.

It is also possible that it may just be a one-off weird thing because this is actually the first time I ran into it.

Another continuity thing. If you meet Dido at the fair, but didn’t interact with her earlier at Aichinger, the text at the fair shows the Aichinger bit.

Another small continuity bit. If you speak with Clotho in Memphis, and ask what stirs your heart, you can reply art…and the answer is:
“Paint, sculpt, write, sing, perform…I have done it all.”

Unfortunately, up to this point, the vampire didn’t know how to read/writer, so writing is out. I suppose dictation would work…or poetry, if spoken.

1 Like

New draft pushed! v21126

Bugfixes, typos, a rewrite of the “letter from Memeskia” during the transition from Memphis, a new tidbit during the Philebus…starting on some Loyalist texture.

6 Likes

I finished my first playthrough of the a couple weeks ago. I’ve always loved this series as historical fiction is one of my favorite genre. And the intricacies of Vampire Society make it all the more intriguing. It’s also helped me with my poli-sci homework. So, thank you for that! I have two main questions for future gameplay.

On PoC Characters’ Choice of Clothing and Hairstyle
If your anachronism is high enough, as a Choctaw, the text mentions that you dress in traditional clothing when you give Withers a tour of New Orleans. But when you ask the tailor to make “fashions of days gone by” it sounds like you’re asking for Western-style clothing instead.

Would it be possible for a Choctaw PC to wear traditional clothing in the future? Sabine Bécard also wears braids. Would it be possible for a Choctaw character to wear their hair in braids (if woman) or long (if a man)? Or for a character of African descent to wear their hair in braids?

Re: Religion
So our Vampsona can be of these religions: nonreligious, Catholic, Presbyterian, traditional Choctaw faith, and the Children of Abraham (if that counts?). Will our character have the chance to convert to other characters’ religions such as Judaism or Unitarianism? Or do you just want to limit the religious options to the ones above?

5 Likes

:kissing_heart: My character is on Memenskia’s good side

6 Likes

This is a bit of a minor thing, but would it be possible to add ‘Learn German’ if a non-German character in the St. Louis part during one of the down time segments? I’m thinking there is a spot where you can learn to read, think of ads for the sporting good store, etc.

I realize in the scheme of the game, it doesn’t do anything by this point, but I can see a vampire learning other languages to pass time if nothing else. Additionally, if I play as the Choctaw interpreter, I can see her expanding her languages.

After all, there is an option to learn Spanish from Estafania, or if you go with West in Mexico in part 1.

For that matter, you might have Polyglot as a possible Achievement if a certain number of languages is reached. Obviously, the interpreter has an advantage, but if done as a long term thing it could also work.

6 Likes

Just a small bit of minor corrections/page suggestion:

This appears when building the cult as one of the choices
Original: Druken orgies.

Suggestion: I believe you want Drunken

The following seems like there should at least be a transition. You go from the cult immediately back to part of the fair.
The things he did to my moms, now that he was awake enough to remember? Damn you."
Outraged at this betrayal, you crush the life out of him.
You hear from Bailey that Rios is preparing to depart St. Louis; this is likely your last chance to speak with her.
You hear from Bailey that Yates is preparing to depart St. Louis; this is likely your last chance to speak with him.

There is a continuity error here if Memeskia dies, but then you break Lothar:
Original: If Memeski died:
“Down the stairs, quickly, Herr Aichinger.”
You reach the ground. Flames are dancing into the night sky.
“You…you killed my Dieter.”
“I did. He was a mortal. And then you revealed yourself to a theater-full of mortals.”
“But…”
“Shall we go inform Memeskia of our crimes.”
“No. Leave.”
“Very well. Goodnight, Herr Aichinger.”

Suggestion: If Memeskia is dead, going with the new Governor in the ‘inform X of our crimes’ seems like a good fix

Original: In moments, someone has lit a torch and thrown into Annie’s tent. While PT Barnum has invested in the most cutting-edge flame-resistant fabrics for his canvas,

Suggestion: I think you need an ‘it’ after ‘thrown’

When talking with Yates, if you suggested getting his arm cut off, I got this line:
Original: “It was a jest. Besides, you would have survived.”
“Perhaps we should feed your hand to a wolf?”
“A wolf would have no interest in my dead flesh.”
“No, I suppose not. But I find the thought amusing.”
“Yes, well, I wanted to ask you something.”
“Go on,” he says.
Looking around, you realize that Memeskia is nowhere to be seen. Has he fled his own soirée? But the night is getting late.

Suggestion: I think a response or another line is needed after the ‘Go on’ but before Looking around.

Original: Outside, and well away from the flames, you wach as Cockerill is arrested by the police. He does not resist, too traumatized by the sight of his livelihood burning to the ground.

Suggestion: Slight mispelling. Should be ‘watch’ not ‘wach’ after the flames in the first sentence.

Original: But once them temperence workers took away the bottle, all he had was God, and God don’ never sleep. The things he did to my moms, now that he was awake enough to remember? Damn you."

Suggestion: temperence should be temperance. Of course, if this is meant as an affectation here then ignore this

There is an instance where you may be talking to someone at the fair, then there is a line waking up at your haven. While nothing wrong grammatically, I do think having some divider, or even a new page would help make it more distinct:

Original:“Whatever it may be, I would recommend that you find your own such purpose. These nights are long, lonely, and full of terrors. Prayer certainly helps, but a purpose such as mine is a small comfort when Satan’s messengers rage outside my door.”
“Thank you for the advice, Sra. Rios.”
From the depths of your daysleep, you sense something amiss.
Knocking, pounding, voices, distress.

It also happens when talking with Fragalia:
Fragalà nods. The espresso has long since grown cold. You stand and leave him to his still-full cup.
From the depths of your daysleep, you sense something amiss.
Knocking, pounding, voices, distress.
When rouse yourself from your bed, you find Maeve and Amanda waiting for you.
“What is it?” you demand.
"The temple! It’s on fire!

Suggestion: Dividing before the ‘From the depths’. I do recommend a separate page.

Original: You grasp at his wrist, doing everything you can to free yourselfbefore you end up like Eliot. But your gestures come to naught before the might of West.

Suggestion: A space is needed after ‘free yourselfbefore’ to be ‘free yourself before’

Original: “If you mean, did the élites of the county set fire to hotel in retribution for the Divorce, I would say not. It was one of their favorite social clubs.”

Suggestion: I think you need a ‘the’ before ‘hotel’: set fire to the hotel in retribution

Original: Kenrick was a vocal opponent of Papal infalibility at the Vatican Council, and the French of

Suggestion: infalibility is misspelled above

Original: Insted, there is a crack of a musket. The bullet strikes your chest, burrowing into your flesh and cutting your howl short. So much for your hiding place

Suggestion: Instd is misspelled at the start.

Original: “But…he stayed here for a few months, and then went back?”
“Yes.”
“Did explain his change of thought? It seems like quite a change for him to flee here and then go right back.”
“No, but neither did I ask.”

Suggestion: In the third sentence, I believe you need a ‘he’ before ‘explain’

Original: you observe the silver badge of the Pinkertons. What do the Pinkertons want with you? you muse. When he finally fires it, it is right in the face of one of your charging faithful. The sound of gunfire changes the tenor of the conflict; whereas before,

Suggestion: Need a capitalization on the first you before ‘observe’

2 Likes

I just pushed a new build. Almost 9k new words, though a lot of it is bugfixes and the covering of plot-holes.

NB I’ve received a handful of reports about people getting deadnamed shortly after they transition genders. If anyone can take screenshots of that, it’d be super-helpful.

4 Likes

RE: Transgender PCs, would it be possible for an event or two to show that this is a direction the character wants to go before suddenly deciding to transition in St. Louis?

1 Like

What would you want that to look like?

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure, possibly a choice when you first update your look/feeding habits. It just feels a bit strange for this person who is near a hundred years old to only then transition. Another option could be at the start where you bow/curtsy to add two more options to bow/curtsy begrudgingly to indicate a trans PC that is AMAB or AFAB respectively(This also fixes the same problem with NB PCs). Ideally a few lines here and there before St. Louis would follow this choice. Thank you for responding!

5 Likes

In the New Orleans segment, Jesse and the MC should be able to communicate in this case:

*elseif speaks_spanish and (((sire_name = “Fernando de Villanueva e Itamaraca”) or (sire_name = “Padre Carlos”)) and (sire_alive = true))

However, the conversation immediately afterwards has these requirements:

*if speaks_english or speaks_french

2 Likes

Hey! Found some typos and continuity errors.

Typos and grammar
  • When discussing wages and labor at a St. Louis salon:
    Based on its affects on wages, I argue for the racial and gender integration of the workforce.” Should be effects, since ‘affects’ is a verb.
  • Deal with Chris Von der Ahe:
    “At your request, he promises to pay the judgments. However, tou weeks later he still has not followed through on the matter.” I think you mean two instead of ‘you’?
  • Talking with Fragala in St. Louis:
    “But in Kansas City, the land is broad. There is many opportunities for the Sicilians to come and make room for themselves.” Should be are, not is.
Continuity
  • Took a peak at the code. In new_orleans, when we choose “Sarah Belle” for the Southern Belle’s name, it appears always as “Sarah”. Was this intentional?
  • Sometimes, the “Vampires” section in stats says Ascher Lesczynski is missing an ear.
  • When playing as an Irish immigrant, the surname options given to me are the same ones for the Yankee entrepreneur.

Also I noticed how you let Choctaw characters create and wear traditional dress! Thank you!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hoo-boy.

I just pushed a new build. It has about 10k new words of content.

CURRENT VERSION: v21608

You can play the game here: https://www.choiceofgames.com/vampire3

Feel free to post your thoughts here, or email me privately with feedback.

You may ask, “where is the restore game function?”

The problem is that, to me, this game has always been dynamic. I’ve added so much material to New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Memphis, that if I were to allow you to restore your saved character to St. Louis, you would miss out on a lot of the content there.

I’m willing to listen to arguments as to why I should implement the *restore_game feature anyway, but I think people will be disappointed in the outcome.

Current roadmap of additions:

• Close out visible TODOs
  • Jay Gould qua vampire
  • Meditation on suicide
  • Edge-case STL quaestor
  • More origins for $stl_kid
  • Fix Yellow Fever historical racism
  • Fix $knows_pb_diseased
  • Wrap up Fragalà/Kinney plot

Release Wishlist:

• Bloodflow function for STL
    • Civil lighting subplot
    • Pig farm
  • Dracula release
  • Keno parlors
  • Werewolf hysteria --> pushback
  • Stone’s visit to St. Louis
  • Mirror moment (intro trans possibility)
  • Columbia Nest
  • Confront errant vampire if tribune
  • Oblivio
  • Dodecagram
  • More about Olympics
  • Loyalist objectives
  • Convo with Hiram @ LPE
  • More/better use of $investigate_memeskia
  • GCD complication
  • Chopin’s Demise

Longer Term (possible) Additions:

• New Orleans
    • Vampire artist character
    • Church plot (Sedella vs Dubourg)
    • Barbershop scene
    • Chunkey scene
    • What happened to PC’s family?
  • Memphis
    • Protestant missionaries to India and the American Missionary Association
    • Race Massacre of 1874
    • Date with Chiara
    • Meet Davison w/o running for Senate
    • Hesper Raid
    • Poll
    • Apollo v KKK
    • Spontaneous Human Combustion
    • Another temperance-worker incident (they don’t notice refreshments??)
  • St. Louis
    • Cranch / Slattery
    • Blavatsky’s Theosophical Society
    • Of Shepherds and Wolves text via Bowater
    • Technological response to West (Molotovs? Flamethrowers?)
    • Flirtatious letters from Withers
    • Jewish feminist-Marxist (cf Rosa Luxemburg)
    • Homestead Strike
    • Frankie & Johnny
    • Staggerlee
    • Cracker Castle
    • Visit White City (!?)
    • Temptation of Job
    • Missouri Wineries (Hermann, MO)
    • Pharmaceutical Industry
    • Choral-Symphony
    • Minstrelsy
    • Methuselah plot
    • Lavender Lady
    • HH Holmes
    • Beer Anti-Trust Lawsuit
    • Ida Wells
    • Joseph Folk
    • Mark Twain
    • Ventriloquist
    • Taxidermy
    • More about the Spencer Sisters.
    • if $thief scene.
    • St. Louis University
    • Bailey vs Veiled Prophet
  • Louisiana Purchase Exposition
    • Lothario
    • California Arrow
    • Tiozzo @ LPE
    • Masonic Heresy @ LPE
    • Bailey’s fraud
  • Users’ Wishlist
    • Scenes in Memphis with Susanne Davies and/or Olivia Polk Hill.
    • More correspondence with Estefania during Memphis and/or St. Louis.
    • More Walter Krupke!
27 Likes