Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

So far, only for the bisexual MC. More options will arrive next game.

What I meant was pretty far from perfection. I’d like to be able to play through the new Chapter Two without it crashing every single time. :slight_smile: I’m currently making it halfway through the winter on most runs, which is progress from two weeks ago. When I can find one bug-free route through the chapter, I’ll post it here for y’all to help me clear all the buggy ones.

5 Likes

I thought of something else setting up dummies with make shift weapons to make the magic blood people waste there magic blood on them it could save you some of your soldiers lives

1 Like

This would be a good idea, except for a bit of lore I haven’t shared with you yet: experienced Theurges in their blood-trance can easily detect life, especially human life.

The bright, incredibly complex blur of teloi around a living human looks nothing like the simple telos of a dummy. So they wouldn’t be fooled.

3 Likes

Hmm, If they detect “life-force” as heat or visa-versa (eg a basic infrared detection) then would you be able to disguise your partisans by hiding their “life-force” signature or heat signature?

This would be essential information to know in order to set-up successful ambushes and traps.

I don’t think it works like that. When the the MC sees the world in telosvision it seems to be normal line of sight from his/her eyeballs but you see the purpose of the things in view. So camouflage or dummies will show up saying “my purpose is to deceive you!” Since people are the “nature behind nature” their number of purposes and how they show up in telosvision is pretty clear. You probably need to rely on hiding behind something already doing its normal thing, like the forest and trees, to mask your signature from the theurges.

This makes no sense. (I’m just dense, sorry)

If you can hide behind a living tree, why can’t you drape living vines over yourself for camouflage? (using your analogy)

The purpose of both the tree you are hiding behind and the vine is to “live” so according to your argument the actual camouflaging would work fine.

There are many other “things” you can use that are “doing their normal thing” that occur naturally but a smart survivalist or people trained in counter-tactics should be able to develop other “things doing their normal thing” that are portable and or useable as camouflage.

Much like the paint jobs that were used to break patterns on WW1 ships, even if normally they stood out like pink elephants and the naked eye would spot what is front of them, those same eyes behind a periscope in a U-boat was unable to see past the “camouflage” …

I think hiding under living vines would work but once you start harvesting vines and turn them into a ghillie suit now you have changed their purpose just like forging a lump of iron into a sword changes its purpose.

A paint job that was applied with the intention of camouflage would show up as having the purpose of deception in telosvision (I think).

I believe that there are ways to deceive telosvison, for instance the forest hides your band from the theruges reliably, but something specifically designed only as a decoy or camouflage would have only that telos if that makes any sense.

In addition people stick out in telosvision in general as @Havenstone indicated because their various interweaving purposes are so complex.

1 Like

@Vertigo: You should know that you only get one or the other depending on your anarchy score, K for high anarchy, S for low anarchy, and they’re always the opp sex of Breden. So if you’re not bi, then you need to lie to the question about the attractive bold young helot and make Breden the sex you’re not attracted to if you want S or K in your preferred sex.

I dunno; a chia pet vine-suit thingy would be living and mobile … I’m just saying I think there are ways of accomplishing things without changing their nature… nothing should be a sure-fire detection method.

A paint-job… with multi-purposes would be sufficient camouflage … according to your television.

cascat07@ What Using Captives instead of dumies ? as in captured enemies dressed as rebels and immobilized and gagged ? since they are no dummies they would detect as human and i doubt theurge would predict this tactics.

Sure I think that would work as far as just fooling the therugevision. Obviously captives aren’t very cooperative when tasked with serving as meatshield for blood magic, and being bound and gagged might give them away to regular visual inspection. It would not be my go to tactic…

1 Like

Besides, depending on the skill of the opposing Theurge they may still be able to detect the subtle change in their teloi, from whatever they were before to “distraction”.

Yo was there an update? My last playthorough was the attack plan so yah, was there?

Nope. There will be a date in the thread header when I post the next update. Sorry!

4 Likes

Ty very much, love the game btw! :smile:

Obviously the dummies should integrate sacks full of snakes. Then they would definitely work 100% to fool theurges.

4 Likes

Thats the way to go! Maybe some angry weasels in a few of the dummies just for the fun.

2 Likes

[quote=“cascat07, post:4138, topic:1601”]
I think hiding under living vines would work but once you start harvesting vines and turn them into a ghillie suit now you have changed their purpose just like forging a lump of iron into a sword changes its purpose.

A paint job that was applied with the intention of camouflage would show up as having the purpose of deception in telosvision (I think).[/quote]

Possibly - and possibly there’s a way to get around that. For example, the tools taken across the Wards are designed to work as weapons but to emphatically not have “killing things” or “being a weapon” as their metaphysical telos. Of course, to be able to draw the distinction between a lump of vines that you happen to be hiding under and a disguise made out of vines probably requires some theurgical education of your own.

There’s a German folktale about someone who went around giving everyone free left shoes and then selling them the right shoe at a ridiculous markup, because nobody could resist free stuff but a left shoe was so useless without the right. So one of his “customers,” instead of using it as a shoe, filled it with soil and used it as a flowerpot, and never bought the right shoe.

I imagine that this kind of lateral thinking is something that Theurges are going to find useful despite the fact that in this world, a shoe is essentially a shoe.

(And now I shudder to think of how theurgy would interact with duct tape or something similarly omni-useful.)

3 Likes

Like staring straight into the sun. Great anti-Theurge weapon.

9 Likes

There is a slightly interesting metaphysical question there - in the world of telos, what are the implications if a created object has a use (a very well-suited use, we’ll say) that the creator didn’t consider? Does it appear to telos-vision, or not? Or not until that specific object is actually put to that use?

(There’s no ‘true’ answer, of course, but.)