Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

I really don’t care who is the traitor. I just HATE Breden I would frame her, and destroy her reputation. She would die by lapidation!

She only wants to dance with you and wrap her arms around you … don’t you enjoy flirting with her and making eyes at her?

2 Likes

I found myself thoroughly uncomfortable at that. Breden has a way with words, but not with me.

You didn’t play the first alpha of this game. There Breden almost rape me in the forest using blood mage to force Mara kiss her.

Now seriously the game at first was planned for a forced Breden romance and sexual attraction you can’t control. Thankfully, @Havenstone change the game to allowed us to choose how our relationship with her him goes. But The hate for her it was already placed in my heart forever. Also she is an Helot and my character hates helots in general so she sees Breden as a danger ape

Well. That sounds more dark than the game already is/can be. And thats saying something.

I hope we get to deal with Xaos. Anarchy around 42.

@Ringleader and @poison_mara - my character is not convinced about Brenden’s loyalty but she is operating under the premise of keeping her as close to my character as she can… exploiting Brenden’s lust/love. I’ve only played the aristo… she fits my personality better (she is a noble and nationalistic aristo that wants to bring Yeomen back).

Well, It was not a literally rape lol. It was my character suddenly find a danger unknown helot alone in the forest full on mud and launch in her arms kiss her and game even didn’t ask me my sex objective. Then character told her secrets after 5 seconds … It just looked like she used blood mind rape magic. It was so out of place.

Blood Mind Rape Magic. Sounds like something an overly preachy Ecclesiarch would denounce the MC as.
And something the Templar from Dragon Age would say, I can see it that way too.

4 Likes

I like its very interesting

Yeah. Even now the game has you attracted to Breden at first glance, and you can only get with Kalt/Kala or Simon/Suzane if you’re bisexual. Personally, I think that that’s kind of an annoying flaw in the design.

2 Likes

Of course you can get around this by just pretending to be gay for bren/breden so you get the appropriate gender for kala/kalt simon/suzanne.

“How did Anders get out AGAIN!?”

“uuhhh BLOOD MIND RAPE MAGIC, KNIGHT CAPTAIN.”

2 Likes

Yay, its back! Gonna delve right into it, as soon as I can decrease my dosage of pain-meds and have some actual reading comprehension again. Hope there’s some suitable ways to deal with that Hecto twat now!

@poison_mara

I still think there’s more than one traitor, or at least double agent, among our little band of Rebels.
I agree Breden is still a good potential choice to be a Kryptast, but I also think that cutie, Simon might actually be a Laconnier plant, which could be almost as bad, at least for the post-rebellion vision my character has.

Poor @Havenstone Langley’s been running you ragged I see. Good to have this awesome project back for discussion in any case.

1 Like

OK, think I’ve now fixed the mentioned bugs.

I strive to please. :slight_smile: Do keep an eye out for clunkier infodumps and let me know those too…

Good point. I think so – putting it within the realm of devout-but-heretical, like the Shayardene Codex – but I’ll need to make a note of that in the text if you’ve gone that route.

It needs to be the right leader who gets grievously wounded. :slight_smile: Let me know if you find it.

And providing your Wayback Machine service: here’s an upthread exchange on what gets Suzane/Simon to join you:

My original response to Mara’s “use blood magic to force Mara to kiss her” slur on Breden’s character: :slight_smile:

Though I do like the idea of Breden, the Danger Ape. Good epithet for the deputy leader of a rebellion.

I had originally planned to have the MC automatically start off in love with Breden (though you could choose to fall right out of love after the Chirex confrontation – which was originally the first scene of the game! No prologues, no flashbacks to the spring and summer). Even then, kissing him/her was a choice. Now I’ve dialled right back to merely noting at your first meeting that Breden’s an attractive person; and it should be possible to read that scene as recognizing their attractiveness without necessarily wanting to jump their bones.

And a further post on the “annoying” fact that K/S will generally be of your non-preferred gender, unless you choose to be bi:

These are my explanations, anyway; the surrounding posts have various reactions

That’s why I’ve switched to running the NSA’s Himalayan listening post. Better work-life balance.

4 Likes

Got another bug for you @Havenstone, in one of my favourite scenes no less: When you attempt to only sacrifice Simon in response to Hector’s raids it throws up this error for me now" strangers2 line 6072: Non-existent variable ‘id’ and that scene is pretty important to me, as that’s the one where my character always learns to respect Simon for who he is and see him as more than just a very pretty face.

@Havenstone

Couple minor content things I wanted throw out there:

1. Attacking the garrison in the bandits scene seems to cause a disproportionately high anarchy gain even if you don’t sack the village afterwards. That combined with the tax raid basically tip you over the Kalt line by themselves. I think the gain should be either toned down a bit or the threshold should be raised a bit.

2. Even if you don’t use Thuergy at the Harrowing it is mentioned as if you did in the mansion raid.

3. Seems like splitting the band could be a bit more of a tactical decision than a desperate one once you bring in enough to feed everyone. Sending them out to infiltrate the helot camps or go to another area to start recruiting and setting up a safe haven something to that effect. Maybe even start laying the groundwork in the first major city you hit.

4. The smuggling plus the Owlscap raid present that unique opportunity that only insurgencies can take effective advantage of: profiting from the insecurity they themselves are creating by offering protection. I feel like the relationship with your merchant guild contacts could get really interesting by way of forcing merchants outside of guild protection to use your smugglers or risk being a target for the selfsame smugglers.

Just some ideas and I could see 4 not coming up until later in the book or series.

5 Likes

I think your Idea no. 4 is great actually, wish I could have thought of that one myself and it would finally give me a reason to attempt Owlscap with my MC.

Whoops – there’s a consequence of my splitting the chapter in two! Should work now. And glad you like that scene. :slightly_smiling:

I’ll look at that again (along with all the other tweaks to anarchy, notoriety, morale, etc.) when I do the great penultimate stat-balancing act.

When I’ve got the rest written, I’m going to go through and make sure you have the choice to refrain from using Theurgy or to use it in secret – and that people’s reactions to you in each scene are appropriate to what you’ve chosen. Thanks for flagging this as one of the changes I’ll have to make then… :slightly_smiling:

And one which the opening of Ch 4 should significantly center around (at least, if you haven’t killed or driven away both Simon and Breden, who will be arguing for it with all the leadership cred they’ve built up in your time together). But I think it’s too early in Ch 2 – at that point, you haven’t done the thinking or other prep needed for it to be other than a desperate act of survival.

Ch 2 will look and feel different when I’ve done the restructure – let me know then what you think of it.

Great idea… and it might fit well in the restructured 2. Thanks!

4 Likes

That particular scene is what allows my MC to see Simon as more than just another noble oppressor and is what potentially allows him to fall in love with him. Now to work on getting him to forgive my character for almost having him killed in the later chapters, eh?