Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

No, it doesn’t but that’s likely deliberate. Note that dear old dad and probably most of those loyal to the Hegemony/believers in the Xthonic faith want you to think it is a punishment for even thinking, however briefly of helping that poor helot out.
The truth likely is that it is either something the mc caught when that helot’s blood got transferred to them and their clothes or it may have been something to with the aura of those particular plektoi or perhaps even something that theurge did to definitely put it into your head that you shouldn’t mess with him.

What your character believes, as always, is entirely up to them. :wink:

2 Likes

Fascinating insights, thank you. I’m from the US, where the entire fox hunting thing never caught on (At least not in my area). Where I grew up we hunted without all the extra flair or pageantry. But yes, I hadn’t considered the psychological aspects of being exposed to the plektoi, let alone at such a young age.

I think most Americans who are not from urban areas hunt in some form or other, since they sure like to fry anything and everything, except horses that is as they seem to have an aversion to horse meat, oh and armadillo. :unamused:

At least involved in one way or another. If it isn’t hunting, then it would be dressing the kill or preserving the meat for storage… etc.

At least you don’t do it like poncey gits such as those English fox-hunters, that “tradition” disgusts even me.
Of course even here granddad and great-granddad hunted…during the war.

2 Likes

That’s your prerogative. Making excuses for what I do is an insult to us both.

@idonotlikeusernames
I hear that armadillo makes a decent substitute for beef or pork, but in the southern US half of 'em are infected with leprosy, so I’m not really eager to give it a try.

2 Likes

Was there a shortage of food in the Netherlands during WW1?

WW2, ya dolt and yes there was, look up the “hunger winter”. Though their hunting was probably more like what our dear Simon in this game condemns as “poaching” I’d imagine. And we were lucky great grandma had a small farm where most of the family could move to during that winter.

We sat out WWI, fyi. So that didn’t really affect us except for Belgian refugees.

So you probably hate Simon and most of the “nobles” in this game too, since I can’t imagine their hunting is for anything other then “fun”. Of course the nobles here seem to find the most “fun” in hunting human, read helot, quarry. :unamused:

Awww…the name can’t help it you know.

Mayyyyyybe… though my mc and Simon might have issues of their own too. On the other hand it’s not like we’re exactly inundated with cute gay(or bi) guys who may be in love with the mc. Particularly since the next one is hinted to be the one you call prince “nippletwister” and I think its pretty much a given that him and my mc aren’t going to be very compatible. :disappointed:

True, however I like my gay RO’s to be relevant to the plot if at all possible, just like what straight people have gotten for decades now. Not minor characters with one romance scene at best and a couple of throwaway lines otherwise.
Of course you’ve got it even worse considering how much rarer important, plot relevant non-binary RO’s are, even compared to gay male ones.
Logically once our mc amass enough power they could probably get any number of cute boys/girls/nb’s into their bed, but those people would be nothing more than irrelevant booty calls within the story.

Somewhere in game 3, I think it was said when our mc sneak into Aekos for the first time

Well considering who he is and where he comes and considering who my mc is and where he comes from, I can already tell you it absolutely isn’t going to work, by any definition of the word and I don’t need 12 years to reflect on that.

He does seem to have plot armour in the Horion and Linos ambush, if you send him away

Many, many ways to die in final battle. :3c

Yeah, okay that’s true but also quite easilly avoided, besides romancing just Simon, who is a relatively simple country “noble” with a helot is difficult enough, to that Prince we’d be nothing but subhuman filth and I don’t see that being the basis for any sort of fulfilling, romantic relationship.
On the other hand he’s also not a mostly background character with some throwaway lines, while the straight romances are plot critical characters (Breden can be male too, but just does not appeal to me for many other and unrelated reasons).

1 Like

Goodness, I just said the Dutch were in WW1, that was so stupid. Forgive me. I mess it up a little bit with the Schlieffen Plan and whatnot. And I didn’t know about the Dutch famine. Will read more into it, so thanks.

2 Likes

Just curious, how do you feel about hunting for the purpose of wildlife management?

We have a major coyote problem here in Indiana. Without hunters we’d be overrun with the damn things.

Like stuffing the animal’s head and mounting it on your wall? :stuck_out_tongue:

My dad has one of those in his house somewhere. Never shot a bow at anything but a Styrofoam deer myself, always seemed a bit macabre to me.

Interesting, the hunters I’ve known don’t like guns because it isn’t challenging enough. Or something about license laws, I don’t know.

Is it supposed to random cut off after your father’s ‘trial’ on the helot path? That seems like a strange stopping point.

Just used my mod powers to edit a post above that I thought got too personal. Please keep the disagreements to ideas, not people. If you feel that what you’re objecting to is a personal failing rather than a mistaken idea, it’s probably best not to argue about it on this thread.

@Sylfaen, yes, Chapter 3 can end just after your father’s “trial”. What felt strange or abrupt about it?

2 Likes

It just felt… Off, I guess. Like the end of the Bandit section has your father commenting on your rebellion, at the end of his trial there is no immediate commentary besides him chewing you out. There’s no… ‘Closing statement’ as my English teacher would say. There’s both looking backwards and forwards at the end of the village segment and the bandit segment, but the spring segment just kind of meanders to nothing.

1 Like

Yes, it is. In fact, joining the CoG forums gave me a chance to learn some new stuff and new ideas, some of which I agree, others which I disagree, but that made me think about them for a while, and that’s most important.

3 Likes