Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Well, of course. The unimportant, helot-filled places needed to learn how much they needed Karagond’s divine power.

When did the Eldritch Furries™ start coming into existence in relation to the storms and the Wards?

Since Havenstone linking me back to that old ‘lore dump’ I’ve been looking back at a lot of the posts made years ago, some even before I created my first account in '14, and it seems that there is a lot of world history that I simply missed (although I have been following the game for years I have not been following the thread most of that time)

1 Like

Don’t worry. I joined before the first draft had even been released and I can’t remember jack shit of what happened on the upper half of this board.

Except Drazen, and my undying, burning hatred of him and everything he touched…

1 Like

The name Drazen rang a bell, but when I looked him up it seems he stopped posting on this thread a few months before I came on the scene, so I probably remember the name from a different thread.

Yes, go for it, though of course my mc would find likely find the idea of being close enough allies with whatever civilization likely survives there to call it’s leader “bro” rather appealing. :laughing:

I always figured it must have at least a decade to get the whole infrastructure to build and sustain those things in place, which would feed into my character’s theory that while unpleasant the Hegemony and its priesthood deliberately overstate the danger, particularly since the Abhumans have a wardless border with Xaos and are still around.

They probably thrive in it, or at least use it to their advantage? I mean… tree-people.

@Havenstone Havie, you haven’t answered whether or not their “adopting half-animal” forms is fluid, whether or not they are the typical were-beasts (voluntary or involuntary) or what. It’s so vague. You don’t need to spoil us just. Just yes or no. Cause like, I’m not sure how much we can speculate if we don’t know what standard of furry we’re talking about here.

Abhumans: the nomadic werefolk who live in the jungles to the south of Shayard. They have a loose tribal federation, rather than any centralized government. The Karagonds call them half-demon servants of Xaos, but still trade with them.

[breathes heavily]

Like many of my theories this is likely already disproven and I don’t even know it, but have you considered the idea that Abhumans are descendants of regular humans changed by theurgy? Possibly people who were touched by storms long ago and were lucky enough to transform into beasts rather than trees, rocks, pinecones, bars of soap, etc… but even if not the storms, some sort of theurgy such as that used to make plektoi.

Evidence in favor: We know there are many different types, which I see as more likely to result from several types of them being seperately created and reproducing rather than evolutionary branching.

We also know very little about them, I would suspect if they were a natural culture from before the Hegemony that old Shayard would have had some interaction with them, but from what little we know of history they don’t seem to have played a large part in it which suggests they are a more recently formed race/culture.

Evidence against: The Hegemony doesn’t seem to hate the abhumans overly much outside their usual xenophobia, I would expect them to if this theory was true. This could be explained by the Hegemony simply not seeing them as a threat. Plus maintaining the southern ward does indicate they aren’t exactly on the best of terms despite not being at war.

The Hegemony maintains most wards mostly to keep its own people in though. They do have quite a small volume of trade with the Abhumans and apparently quite a bit with Halassur whenever they’re not fighting low-level “wars” against them.
Were the abhumans always the Abhumans, even when the Xaos-lands were still Braurach, we don’t know at this point. But since Braurach apparently had its own Goety magic even back then, I’d venture that the Abhumans always having been shapeshifting werefolk is very much possible.

cordeceps furry. the last of us begins. EDIT: soap furry. no helot goes uncleansed.

no but seriously. are the abhumans fully beast? like, beasts, fully shifted, but sentient? bigger or have weird shit like fucking bark mctree man that shows they’re not like, normal animals? some sort of weird old-fashioned werewolf belle-et-bete type creature that vaguely resembles a human but is monstrous in design?

i know what they are, because havie has told me in private. i know the origin, if not the actual time period. but i don’t mind about that! i don’t know what i want to know! i want to know: exactly what level of furry are we dealing with

https://s15.postimg.org/6kxndvph7/hhhh.png

i think i know. i can guess to this question with… 70, maybe 68.5791% belief that i’m right? :pensive: it’s been a long time since i’ve talked about anything other than good movies and useless game trivia with dear havie.

also Fraurache. i just can’t stop laughing. stop me this is stupid i’m being stupid.

Is there any connection between the Brorach/Braurach and the Unqueit Dead, or are they separate external issues? Or does the surviving history not make clear?

Tried this game again after a very long absence, and I have some comments on going through Chapter 2 the hard way:

• When you change the number of mules assigned to support the sick, it should always tell you how many are required for the current number of sick people. It would be helpful if the game told you how many sick people that number of mules will support (if you have 10 sick people, you need 4 mules, which is enough for 12 people) as well, but that might be confusing.
  • Whenever you are requesting a grain caravan, the player should be told how much grain is required for the current population at the current rationing level (it does this the first time, but if you get “That’s too much” warning and change your selection, on retry it doesn’t provide this information). It would be highly helpful if it also provided a table that showed how much extra (in addition to total) grain you need at the “Maximum Rations” / “Sustenance for the healthy, maximum for the sick” / “sustenance for all” / “minimum for all” levels. This would help determine if you can safely increase the ration level for that week.
  • Setting traps has no gameplay effect (it sets the variable traps, but this variable isn’t referred to outside of this choice) – is this deliberate, or is this something that just hasn’t been implemented yet?
  • It would be better, I think, to organize all of the scouting options under a common top-level choice, rather than including them as sub-choices under the relevant parent. As it stands, it is a bit of a chore to keep going into the choices to verify that the scouting missions are underway (or, worse still, forgetting to launch them at all).
  • If there are missions that require the protagonists participation, and the protagonist hasn’t performed an action this week, there should be a note to that effect on the main menu (", there are some missions that require your personal involvement"). If the player would otherwise move to the next week, and the “protagonist required” missions are still valid options (e.g. don’t require any troops), then the player should be warned of this and have the option of performing these missions. Very annoying to, for example, delay too long on the “Scout out the tax caravan” mission because you simply forgot.
  • There should be a “Restart the chapter” option under “Change standing orders” option – at least until the game is release, and perhaps even after that (it is fairly easy to get into a situation where you can continue, but you know you are doomed).
  • There is already a bonus for having everyone fed maximum rations – but this should both be larger to start (I’d suggest +10 for all sick children, +5 for all sick adults, +15 for all healthy children, +10 for all healthy adults) which should then be modified by the size of the band (as a multiplier – 1-(population / 200) feels about right). This bonus should increase by 50% for every consecutive week you keep that ration level. The base bonus should be reduced (permanently) by the number of people who have died specifically of starvation / illness – say, 0.5 / starved child, 0.25 / starved adult, but not until after week 3. If the base number goes negative, apply a morale penalty for every week where rations are not at maximum. This is all based on the principal that your only real goal is to keep everyone fed and alive through the winter – if you achieve that, then everyone should be quite happy with you. Also, note that maximum rations are better than what the herlots are used to, so you should get credit for that as well.

A bit more general, but still Chapter 2 focused:

• On the status screen it should show what percentage of your followers are armed (only counting the ablebodied). If you have excess weapons (more than you can currently use), this should be shown whenever you have the option to sell weapons. When purchasing weapons, it should report how many weapons you currently have and how many you need to fully arm your forces.
  • When you are offered the option to provide training for your troops, it should be made explicit that only /armed/ forces will receive any benefits from this training, and that the cost of this option is proportional to this number. Yes, it works like this today, but it isn’t clear (and someone might purchase as many weapons as possible, then discover they don’t have enough money to pay for training).
5 Likes

I feel this is our rebellion in a nutshell.

"Courage isn’t having the strength to go on - it is going on when you don’t have strength.”

This quote I simply enjoy.

“You don’t reason with intellectuals. You shoot them.”

@idonotlikeusernames’ strategy in a nutshell plus shooting anyone who isn’t a Helot and even then he’ll go and shoot the helots who disagree with him. The dude is all about equality, hating everyone equally that is.

2 Likes

Hey, my guy is totally against the death penalty, maybe for the same reason some of our most nasty real-life conservatives are, but still… :sweat_smile:
Why shoot folks when you can work them and bleed them, if we ever get to institute a working “blood tax” then it becomes even more important to keep people alive as long as economically feasible.

Which is still a great leap forwards compared to the Hegemony’s caste system. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nah, you need some intellectuals and small disagreements stimulate the mind, for large ones there’s always re-education. Shooting intellectuals in particular is a big waste as it takes over a decade to train new ones.

I just like the quote. The comment should be directed at Napoleon if you want to disagree with him.

Oi, you did say that this game was inspired by a D&D game, I myself have used some video game tropes to drive in points across to the party or to flesh out a setting in a more emotional capacity. All I am saying is maybe your DM did get some of that from them lol. Either way, Ive never heard of those games and this is really fresh and different to me and I love your game haha. Question though. How would a noble be able to attend the summer ball and not be recognized? It seems unlikely that you wouldnt be ousted by a kryptast at some point into the night unless they were wanting to identify your collaborators. Poor Calea. Im still gonna try to romance her even if she only wants the filthy pig helots lol.

But they are fine with stripping criminals naked and whatching nude helots crawling in pig blood.

I think you should keep it. Since the country name is not just “Bro” but “Brorach”, it shouldn’t be too distracting and you could use the pun for some achievement names later.

I was the DM, so pretty sure nothing crept in that way. :slight_smile:

Cunning disguise. And the nobles from the Outer Rim are a tiny percentage of the hordes who will be flooding Shayard for the Season, so the odds of meeting anyone who recognizes you are low.

“Fine” might not be the right word. But all prudish cultures have outlets for the sexual drive they repress, often violent ones. It should be no surprise that the Hegemony goes in for punishments and torments with an element of sex involved.

History is almost completely silent on the Unquiet Dead.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, yes and for my poor mc it’s likely even more unfortunate.

Yep, the oppressive decadence of the priest and nobles knows no bounds and the above is the second reason why this mc of mine will never (voluntarily) wear fancy clothes, being “fitted” for those things really would be tantamount to torture for him, and I suspect a lot of his fellow former helots too. :sweat: