Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Minor grammer problem:
But I think whoever betrayed us to Chirex still with us, just lying low.

I think you should have ‘is’ after Chirex: But I think whoever betrayed us to Chirex is still with us, just lying low.

2 Likes

Hi there I dont normally contribute to the threads a lot but I keep running into errors? It doesnt seem to matter which choices I pick when I play the game every time I go to select breden’s gender this shows up?

Is there something wrong on my end? I didn’t see anyone else mention this bug but i also may have missed it…

That’s weird. I just played through and couldn’t replicate it.

Camila - try clearing your browser cache and running it again. I think Dashingdon is still running the old startup.txt for you, from before the latest update (when the variable xhers didn’t exist.) I had some similar problems at first after I ran the update, but clearing the cache sorted it for me.

1 Like

@Karl341, perhaps you should also try clearing your cache – startup.txt used to include an initial 4 mules, but doesn’t now. You shouldn’t be able to get an initial 8 mules in Ch 2 unless you’ve either raided the market or a noble house in Ch 1. (Of course, your band may raid against your wishes if you don’t have the charisma to stop them – but I’m assuming you’d notice if that were happening.)

Otherwise, with the exception of @WinterHawk’s negative adults, I think I’ve fixed the above-mentioned bugs. I’m about to head off for the next 10 days into an area with no internet, so won’t be able to make any more fixes til I get back.

Something to think about: what would and wouldn’t you like to see the game’s “cover art” look like? What kind of image would represent the game well and get people excited about it?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t really like the cover to have one particular MC in it, especially considering how much the game hinges on the differences between classes and genders . It works with Midsummer, but not so much with Rebels.

A setting in the game would work, but I think it’d need to be striking, and by that I mean it can’t be something specific like a sword or a flag (since those vary from player to player). Maybe a few shapes making camp in the Whendward forest.

3 Likes

A habit I have gotten into is to always open any game in a private session which clears away the cache automatically.

1 Like

I’ve cleared it before playing and i was in control so yeah i it’s a bug although it only happened once.

This is some really, really, deep and in depth content. I’m love how meticulous the lore is. I’m glad someone is tackling a “Game of Thrones” style of writing. And your skill as a writer is definitely a benchmark setter for me to aspire to!

I can tell this a book that will require keen attention. Great world building, love the aesthetics, can’t wait to this hits the market! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The harrower is such a striking symbol of oppression, and I think the harrower is always broken during the fourth harrowing, whether by a mob of helots or by Shiri Oxlaw. (This isn’t directly described in the text if anarchy > 3, and it’s especially ambiguous if the mob feeds the Alastors to the harrower, but the MC later tells Radmar that the harrower is broken.) An image of a broken harrower might catch people’s attention, and convey something of the game’s tone.

9 Likes

Maybe, but a) it’s a complicated contraption that might not, visually, look like anything to a XoR newbie, and b) I don’t associate the Harrower with the tone of the game - I don’t feel it’s one of the major threats, despite being the in-world symbol of oppression. (Even lack of mules seems like a greater threat.) When I play XoR, I feel so much hope and excitement for my own little band of people, it’s quite a different feeling from the grim hopelessness of, say, Telltale’s Walking Dead. Picking the Harrower as a visual representation of XoR would be like, for example, picking the whip as a visual representation of The Prince of Egypt.

tries to think I have so many precious, beautiful mental images of scenes, faces, landscapes, moments in this game… but they’re all subjective.

I would probably make the cover about a Xaos storm, or perhaps a sly and slightly power-hungry-looking Linos looking you straight in the eye and offering you the deal of a lifetime. That scene with Daddy Dearest throwing things into a pyre would work visually, too, with his silhouette against the flames, especially since fire is a prevalent motif in the game, and we in the forum are all used to seeing fire on Havenstone’s thumbnail anyway, hah. :smile: Another scene that would be nice is the initial trickle of rebels\refugees into the woods in the aftermath of “the day they will say your rebellion started.”

2 Likes

Put a mule on the cover.

3 Likes

One lone mule being sent on a winding path towards a faraway hillside covered in foodstuffs…

4 Likes

I acknowledge that it might be quite difficult to portray a harrower so that a) it’s relatively clear what it is and b) it’s clearly broken. Since I’m proposing a broken harrower, I don’t see the analogy to a whip; I think a better analogy would be a broken chain, which can be a symbol of hope (and is one of the possible sigils for the rebellion).

Only an aristo MC can get that scene. There are so many options in XoR that there aren’t many scenes common to all playthroughs. The only major (potentially) sympathetic characters in every playthrough are Breden (who gender-flips), Zvad, and Radmar. Horion and Linos show up in almost all playthroughs, but the MC can explore the camp site and send someone else who robs them, kills them, or lets them go. There are also less sympathetic characters (the MC’s father, Zebed, Chirex, the plektoi) who could perhaps serve as a symbol of what the MC is rebelling against.

I don’t think it’s necessary for the cover art to portray something that’s part of every playthrough (for example: Guns of Infinity’s cover art has Cazarosta during the forlorn hope, but it’s possible for the MC to lead the forlorn hope without Cazaosta present), as long as it’s something that resonates with (almost) all players. If a broken Harrower is too complex and unfamiliar or too grim to serve as cover art, an alternative could be several outlaws (perhaps including Zvad and couple of mules) travelling through the wilderness. I still think that a broken Harrower might work well, though.

2 Likes

Is there a way to save Breden at all?? She keeps dying for me :frowning:

1 Like

You can keep her alive, and at least in my playthroughs, it is easiest if you are a CHA 2 MC, especially if you have your second-in-command taking care of food runs. Then if you order people to hold Radmar back…and then ask Breden themself, then decide that you won’t put anyone to death on flimsy evidence usually works for me.

Note I said usually since I still have had it fail. It can be tougher with an INT 2 or WAR 2 MC…the group is more likely to bow to your authority if you have a good reputation.

On the other hand, if I successfully bring my people through the winter alive (personally managing the food) with minimal losses, and successful runs, etc. then they will accept the MC’s leadership/decisions with little fuss, even with Breden.

If it is assumed that Breden stays behind to lead the band in your absence, that’s cool, but then you get the option of bringing her along.

@Havenstone:
I don’t know if this is a bug or not, but if you go to recruit the Brecks people, and Breden is your second in command, and if you bring her…shouldn’t her Charisma skills still work if the MC’s isn’t up to snuff?

1 Like

If you choose “Send most of the band out through the caves. The rest of us will draw their attention and hold them here as long as we can,” then you can have Breden lead the group that’s escaping, and you won’t be poisoned. Presumably Breden survives.

1 Like

thank you so much!!!

I think the author’s preferred cover art would be one of misses Havenstone’s landscape etchings, sadly last time I heard she wasn’t playing ball yet.
Still I cast my vote for clothing optional Simon, of course, I’m rather predictable like that? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You’re welcome, and I hope it helps a little. @Estel_Edain’s advice was also good as well.

1 Like