Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

A spacing issue, that I ran across before. You may well have it fixed. If you go after the Telone, there is a space at this point:

Bleys’ wife

tries to speak, but her throat is choked and she just manages a croak. Her face is shiny with tears and sweat.

Also I don’t know if you went back to remove Breden references yet or not. If you haven’t…if you exile Breden, she shows up in this line:

Elery gives a sudden, excited nod, as if something just slipped into place in her mind. “She’s right. Damn me if she’s not.”

Slowly, reluctantly, Breden nods… and the rest of the band erupts in awed, unsettled conversation. You reach out your arms to them and say,

2 Likes

Bleys’ wife

should be

Bleys’s wife

1 Like

This is one grammar rule that I’ve seen go both ways. When used with a proper name, I was taught to use an apostrophe after the s like in Bleys’ wife.

However, I know other instances where it was taught as adding an 's after the name like you suggest. So whichever way @Havenstone goes, would work for me.

2 Likes

This version feels very good. Much more finished than the last one. My usual path did not go as well as it used to, but that is fine.

Now, bugs! I found two: First, if you have full rations in chapter 2 from the beginning, the game will never ask you if you personally eat full rations or prefer to go with whatever your men eat, which makes sense. However, this seems to have the unintended effect that the game will ask you later in chapter 2 if you want to eat more when you fall ill from not eating enough (We all had full rations!). I believe this also makes you sick for a week. A bit annoying, but not game breaking.

Second but is that if Zvad dies in the final chapter when protecting you from pursuing enemies, the game forgets that he is dead and he will tell you about your father’s unfortunate demise in the battle and also be a choice to pick for (continued, in my case) leader of the rebellion.

Keep up the great work, felt like this update really added quite a bit.

4 Likes

My principle is 's after every singular noun to make it possessive, but then, I have much fixation on proper grammar, lol.

Another missing name:
In the coming week, 14 of your healthy bandits will be needed in camp to care for the sick and dying. wants to speak with you in person, as a matter of some urgency. “Something about the caravans in the Owlscap, kuria,” the messenger says with a nervous smirk. “You think we might have stolen from her by mistake?”

At the end of the first sentence, after ‘sick and dying’ there is a period, then a space and ‘wants to speak’.

Also this sentence needs capitalized:
yeomen don’t want to have anything to do with you, and all your followers’ attempts to win them over amount to little.

Played through it a bit and the general improvement to the management aspects of banditry are very useful. I also sighted a few bugs.

When the camp got poisoned, I had -25 outlaws get incapacitated and when I tried to rally my presumably 25 followers stronger forces I had -50 healthy outlaws. I image those are related.

The purchasing of training for Sylba doesn’t get capped at the amount of adult followers. I’ve had more weapons then people and I was getting charged based on the weapons.

It seems like there is some missing text when proposing to Breden. “At long last she joins you, looking wanted to talk, Starn?”" I got an error message during the wedding as well. hounds line 3525: Invalid expression, couldn’t extract another token: . The less I see of him, the better.

1 Like

I’m so glad for you! :smiley:

I’ll happily purchase in support (hopefully) later this year!

3 Likes

There’s some kind of error that won’t allow me to continue to spring because of my chosen last name. Something about it only being five letters long when it needs a sixth letter…?

1 Like

I noticed a few bugs:

-You can use magic to take down Theurges in Chapter 4 even if you have never learnt Theurgy (it’s the one after the supply train attack)

-The game doesn’t realise that I have kidnapped Horion in Chapter 4 if I choose to kidnap him without ransom

-Releasing Horion in Chapter 4 increases “violence” instead of decreasing it

1 Like

Just a general observation, but in Ch. 4, when playing as a Charisma 2 and Intellect 1 MC, I can’t seem to harry the Phalangites successfully. It always ends in a dialogue where there is talk of capturing the kids, and my band being crushed.

Which is fine, except the last few playthroughs, I actually destroyed the baggage train, and took out 3 of the 4 Theurges before hand. This was with over 170 adults, and around 100 arms.

If this is normal for a Charisma focused MC, that’s cool…and I freely admit I might be doing something else wrong.

However, a Combat 2 oriented MC, or an Intellect 2 Theurgy MC allowed me to successfully harry the group.

On a bug side, I’m trying to narrow things down, but I ran into a situation twice now when my mules essentially disappeared, saying there weren’t enough to do sick carry/food carry. If the game had sold them, that would be fine but it didn’t.

3 Likes

Don’t know if someone said this already, but I changed the rations from healthy for sick, subsistence for healthy to healthy for all. It said I’d need 87 bushels, but I have 48 and it said I had enough for the rations I set.

PS: Oh, also, I tried to buy 60 bushels, but it said it was a lot, so I bought just 33 bushels instead… Now I have 87 somehow?

2 Likes
*if violence > 0
    And then you're ducking back down to the ravine, flinging yourself down the drop and scrambling for the nearest spill of boulders.
    *goto boulderspill

I think this is causing it. Non-violent characters are supposed to get the “bad” ending automatically, but because of this, it’s the other way around for CHA 2 players. As far as I can tell, it’s a bug.

3 Likes

Then you would create destruction.

Oh, nice, Havie! I’m now replaying it with a new, charismatic helot MC, and I’ll help point out bugs if I ever find them.

But, so far, it seems to have gotten much better. I’m not sure how much you rewrote, but everything flows much more cleanly. I’ll play again and put a few examples up.

One thing I think you could watch out for are the adverbs. Kind of like here:

“Trust you, Breden?” Radmar growled dangerously.

I think you can drop the “dangerously” here, and just imply that Radmar is more resentful of the MC later on the same page. Or, I think it’d fit well if you indicated that he’s not feeling comfortable through his mannerisms, like having his arms crossed?

Edit: Bug, tried to marry Breden, “invalid expression 3525” showed up. It was the “the less I see of him, the better” choice for a helot MC.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m baffled. I’ve rejigged that file to move all the choices closer together, in case a line I added was somehow keeping CS from finding that line. If you have time to play through again and see if you get the option, I’d be grateful. If not, I’ll do it myself next time I run through.

Did you plunder the noble estates? Either one can get you to 8, and 11 if you plunder both.

@Lys, thanks, think I’ve fixed all the problems you found. Except for the disappearing mules. I’ll try to get to those tomorrow.

Grammarians differ on whether an additional “s” is required for a singular name ending in s. You can see which side of the fence I come down on. :slight_smile:

@Haresus, thanks for the encouraging words. I’ve fixed the sickness issue. As for Zvad dying, I’m struggling to find where and how that could happen – everywhere I’ve found him dying, the code sets *zv_here false, and everywhere he appears throughout Ch 4, it’s only if zv_here is true. But clearly I’m missing something…

@Winterhawk, fixed a few of yours. On the negative followers poisoned: do you remember what your strategy was on that run? In particular, was it Breden’s preferred strategy of sending as many as possible back to the Rim?

Aha, interesting. Well, it took a little fixing, but I can now confirm that the de G and the Oatou can now get name change options, and other names – say, “Big Dog” – should not keep you from playing the chapter.

@Golthar, thanks so much for finding the nonviolence bug for me. I’ve fixed that. Your other bugs, and Outrageous’, I’ll fix tomorrow. Off to bed now.

6 Likes

The second time you get an option to spend money on weapons, in part 4, it should be exactly like the first one where it tells you how much you can afford and how much money you have and doesn’t disappear after you’ve gone through it. I can only imagine this is an oversight.

1 Like

It was to stand and fight on that run.

I had maybe 200 adult followers total by the time the fighting got started, I had angered everyone but maybe the yeomen. I had a 150ish people get trapped. I successfully attacked the Theurges and the caravan (in that order). There were four flanking forces, and I tried to run in the daylight.

1 Like

Okay it works now.

Spotted a tiny pronoun error though where my female Breden got defined as nonbinary. “Something you want to say, Orchard?” Xhis tone is barely civil, with none of the respect that you were raised to give your elders."
"

3 Likes

Nope i’m a noble that didn’t plunder the market

I’ve found a few more things. You can set the children to receive less rations than the adults when initially setting the rations with Yeben.

“The remaining Theurge who circled round the outside of High Crag yells in shook and outrage, then redouble their assault.” Is this sentence reading right? It seems like it might be an issue with an *if statement when there are 3 Theurges and you hit 2 of them with the COM 2 traps.

Although this is the most interesting thing I’ve found from inspecting the Harrower, and creating my own ceremony revolving around fire.

[spoiler]“At the very base of the machine are shallow boxes which you’ve seen being filled with coals before the ceremony. A separate pump keeps air blowing across the embers. You wonder queasily why the blood must be kept hot.”

“We are souls of air and fire.”[/spoiler]

2 Likes