Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

Mara you sound more like the Reaper here, Genocide to stop genocide.

Besides it was discovered the first time it’ll be found out again.

I doubt that since they want to save their blood for important stuff. Plus not nearly enough people know it to replace technology.

That sounds like what your goal is, you want to stop the deaths of blood magic and increase use of technology which would lead to overpopulation.

Is there even overpopulation now? What’s the hunger rate among non-oppressed? How much space is there?

I can stop world hunger, just kill all the hungry!

Blood magic doesn’t cause genocide, Maras do.

Havie has said there is OVERPOPULATION ONLY BLOOD MAGIC AGRICULTURE preserve people from mass FAMINE I won’t kill those people you know PACIFIST ROUTE lack of bloodstream magic will do … Blood magic is evil because needs Slaughtering in pain people… You know Mara has no killed even a fly do you?

Which you want to stop, their blood would be on your hands still. You want to cause their famine.

The burden of lives weigh on the leader a.k.a Mara.

Plus murder by inaction…

And you still want to get rid of all the mages, I don’t see that happening without death.

I DON’T want their demise. It is not my fault blood mgic is endangering earth and humanity. I mean You could still sacrificing people in your game all you want but calling someone who wants DESTROY HARROWING forever being genocidal is really hypocritical lol. You will be genocide tons of people in your Harrowings Havie has stated blood taxes wil no possibility and pain is needed in the blood stuff

You want to cause their demise to reduce overpopulation. You want to cause them to starve.

You want to kill all people who know magic, that’s genocide. Then you want to starve half the population which also genocide.

No it just means the ends justify the means for you.

It’s not murder if it’s lawful. Besides I am only arguing Mara’s morality, I’m ok with Harrowing people, or killing for a new country. I never claimed to be a pacifist.

MARAS MORALITY… JAH JAH

#LOL LOL YOU REALLY THINK MARA BELIEVES IN THOSE CRAP… NO THAT JUST POLITICAL BULLSHIT FOR FOLLOWERS

Mara says Shayard can’t compete in magic my family is not magical… KILL THEM ALL USING RELIGION AS EXCUSE. No magic no Karagon… purges help maintaining control mages would be the focus of everyone rage like in 1984.

Sounds more like a fun constant war. With all the things we’ve seen magic do. Plus it could easily tip to the magic side.

She’s starving us while those mages are living blissfully!

Of course not, but it still seems dumb to me, to deny magic. Especially when you get to use it to keep people afraid.

Mara is not a mage… If she use mges she would be at their power. Basically She has to oppose to people who has better weapons than her.

Why didn’t Mara learn?

Sounds difficult.

2 Charisma.

But would Mara hire Theurge underlings?

She still had the choice to learn Theurgy as a 2 int.

that moment when we can pick wizard as a title reminds me of this [details=Summary] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_00CrJcxI [/details]

Never works for me :cry:

She’s not playing as an INT 2 character. She doesn’t want to. Just like I didn’t want a non 2 COM ass MC.

1 Like

Yes Mara is becoming Evil Gandhi … Nationalism religious pacifism from a empire. I don’t want be a mage is not interesting for me and I don’t like blood magic it feels cheap. @Dark_Stalker Not everyone wants play same way. Magic and Intelligence route is boring as hell for me. I will use other path for win.

I can’t do Harrowings… too terrible to bear :cry:

1 Like

Not you, why did Civ Ghandi Mara choose not use magic?

Don’t worry you’ll find some way to justify it!

Because PACIFIST CHARISMA DEITY CULT ROUTE… You could be all mage you want lol. MARA DOESN’T LIKE MAGIC

I, or well my mc agrees. He will absolutely use any alternative to the Harrowings available and there are at least hints that there can be alternatives.

You can justify almost anything, but Harrowing would be particularly difficult even for my mc as it is the very symbol of everything he stands against.

Be careful Mara, Charisma has been the undoing of more than one leader. As Weber said of charismatic authority many of the leaders who rely almost exclusively on it fail when they must offer up something substantial
Of course Weber also believed charisma was ultimately the undoing of many leaders, once they start to buy into their own “divine rights” and “exceptionalism” as that sort of self-confidence and belief tends to make them believe their own infallibility and thereby to become inflexible and unable to change.
The charismatic cult of personality is ultimately like a pyramid scheme and sooner or later it will fall apart, unless you can keep living standards up enough to create, if not happy, then at least contented masses.
Otherwise if your leadership is not seen to benefit them (enough) then they will get buyer’s remorse, if you get to the point where your character’s “charismatic authority” evaporates your followers will more than likely have a tendency to become bitter and brutal, for having put their faith in a leader with no substantial talents or experience, they find themselves saddled with a figurehead who is a constant reminder of their foolishness. And nobody likes to be reminded of that, hence the brutal part in Weber’s theory.
What is more since Mara will be the first of her dynasty you will not have the powerful, conservative forces of (institutional) inertia and “tradition” on your side, which makes (over)reliance on charisma without much substance even more risky.
In fact Trump may become an interesting character study of what happens to the charismatic leader who is proven to be all bluster and substance. We’ll see, I guess. :expressionless:

That being said, INT and COM focused characters will have their own challenges and the technocratic and (ruthlessly)ideological styles of leadership have their own challenges and pitfalls, particularly when one tries to use them to achieve the sorts of things my character wants. But what I’m saying is that with Mara’s categorical resistance to magic she may now be making it just as difficult for herself as my character is. :wink:

3 Likes

This might sound like a superficial commentary, but maybe we could use economic or military effectiveness to draw legitimacy as the rebellion grows. I’m under the impression that it will take five years to topple the Thaumatarch, at least. If we spin a tale that everything runs better on our side of the Hegemony, maybe we could get a few defecting to our side.

Of course, if the MC is up to accept it is up to their choice.

1 Like

Yeah, so that’s like not gonna happen at all, if my character gets anything to say about it. Particularly since he doesn’t fancy becoming a sharecropper peasant in the “new” Shayard at all. :sweat_smile:
Tha Laconnier “heir” being fake on the other hand has always seemed eminently plausible. :wink:

Which they can forget, my mc isn’t very keen on the whole concept of hereditary monarchy and even less on becoming a serf or sharecropping peasant.

Yes, copycats and anarchists and rival rebellions seem pretty much inevitable, but that won’t cause my mc to back the monarchists and his own demotion back to serf again.

I don’t know whether to be relieved or dismayed by that. :disappointed_relieved: