Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

I dunno. Don’t 1 v 1 hector???anyway Focus on weaps

Don’t think you can kill Hector with Theurgy, only his buddies.

Cunning is not same of intelligent. That is why is always include or in a subtlety stat or directly in charisma not in intelligence.

Yeah cunning is an aspect of charisma. Intelligence is composed of seven abilities (or three if you look at the triarchic theory of fundamental human intelligence), I get it

1 Like

Ah, but you don’t have to get the Brecklanders on board. You can get introduced as shepherds (setting sheepsmell), fail to convince them, attack with your small band anyway, then return via the clever method.

I didn’t find the thing in gameplay, but I did confirm it in the game, just in case.

Actually, though, speaking of coding efficiency - it’s probably not a change you’d want to bother to make now, but it did occur to me that you could have saved yourself a good deal of code checking for Simon’s membership simply by setting s_rel to a specific negative number if you imprison him, rather than to 10. Then you could have just used s_rel > 0 alone to verify that he’s a member of the band.

3 Likes

Let me express a moment’s admiration and disbelief, too, for the Architelone raid. It’s somehow not obvious in the game just how extensive the code and writing for that thing is - 3500 lines, 42000 words; whole chapters of other people’s work are less extensive than that monster of an option.

It’s just a pity blackmailing the Telone for the information is so nasty in its outcomes. That method’s significantly longer than the others, and has some interesting choices along the way, but when you have to either frame (and effectively kill) your fence or an innocent and relatively good-hearted noble, or else get the Telone himself horribly killed and his family fled into xaoslands…well, I pretty much always pick getting the information from the noble or the merchants instead.

2 Likes

42000? Thats…very impressive. Kudos Haven.

4 Likes

So I must admit my latest playtrought was quite interesting. I came upon the scene when we reject becoming an ecclesiast and instead create your own version of the religion and I took air as my element. That scene was amazing. I got some help because I missed the charisma check but honestly I feel like it only made the scene better.

I also loved your idea to escape detection after taking care of the sheeps without spliting or staying in group. I look forward your next update and hopefully the release.

Indeed. Mind, that’s word count including code, so something like “*if frame = 0” is counted as 3 words. (3? Huh. Looks like it doesn’t count the equals sign as a word, but does count the zero). Still, though. It’s a lot.

That’s the cost of doing business and remember that our characters, no matter who they are must already be pretty desensitized just from being either a citizen or a slave of the Hegemony.
As a noble Ismene de Gallis still profited from the Hegemonic system, so the fact that she’s at best only relatively innocent is key here.
Anyway, that’s how I justify taking the less than nice options, on occasion, for my character. I think it will be a very tough challenge to say the least to play a truly softhearted and character till the end in this world @Havenstone has so expertly crafted for us.

That said I’ve no doubt that framing that noble is likely going to have a cost somewhere down the line.

Yeah, sometimes (partial) failure or, in the case of kidnapping Simon, initial distrust and reluctance, can make for much more interesting scene’s later on.

1 Like

[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:3273, topic:1601, full:true”]

That’s the cost of doing business and remember that our characters, no matter who they are must already be pretty desensitized just from being either a citizen or a slave of the Hegemony.
As a noble Ismene de Gallis still profited from the Hegemonic system, so the fact that she’s at best only relatively innocent is key here.
Anyway, that’s how I justify taking the less than nice options, on occasion, for my character. I think it will be a very tough challenge to say the least to play a truly softhearted and character till the end in this world @Havenstone has so expertly crafted for us. [/quote]
It’s not really the cost of doing business, though. I mean, as I suggested, you can get information from the merchants or from Ismene herself instead, in which case nobody has to suffer. (Or at least, nobody you know about.)

I always choose to kill the fence, as an upstanding noble like me could not go back on his word to Bleys, and she insulted me when I chose Breden as my deputy. And of course I’m not going to kill family. (Not to mention, she could tell us more about our mother.)

2 Likes

Isn’t it heavily implied that if you do nothing to implicate either Ismene or Alaine the lower ranked Telones, including Bleys, are the ones who get scapegoated and suffer by default?

If you don’t go after the telone, I’m pretty sure there isn’t any mention of punishment for anyone.

Note that this is emphatically not a request for such mention to be added, so don’t go getting any ideas, Havenstone!

It is heavily implied that someone has to pay. I’m fairly certain the telone and his family are the default victims of the the reprisal.

Where is it implied, if you get the information from other sources than the telone?

It isn’t but he indicates that the blame for the raid would by default fall to him and thus the need for framing. I assume he and his family are the scapegoats off screen.

On screen it is told that the local Telone died despite threadbare evidence if you choose merchant or noble routes.

Information not present in a given playthrough is of very limited applicability to what happens in it, I feel. Even so, what he says is:

Bleys utters a laugh-like bark of despair. “Ah Angels. Madness, ${lname}, madness! You think they won’t find out I told you? That after you rob the Architelone, they won’t come asking after my absent family?”

He didn’t tell you, and there is no absent family, so.

No, that only happens if you get the information from him and don’t frame anyone. If you never interact with Bleys, it doesn’t appear.

But after you raid and you go to the final page of the raid(the one right before returning to the choices for raiding in the winter) the very first sentence tells you the local Telone was blamed and killed for the raid. [quote=“Dominic, post:3282, topic:1601”]
No, that only happens if you get the information from him and don’t frame anyone. If you never interact with Bleys, it doesn’t appear.
[/quote]
No, it happens on every route.