Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

As we’ve seen on other threads (edit: and as Scrivener just said), there’s no way of writing romantic options that will please everyone. Maybe I’ve happened on the way that will make no one happy. :slight_smile: It has genderflipping, but the characters’ genders don’t all flip the way you want them to; the NPCs are decidedly not playersexual, and as in real life, there’s no way to guarantee that the ones you think would make the best partners are from your preferred sex.

Part of the dynamic I want to explore with K/S is precisely what happens when someone from your non-preferred sex is attracted to you. Bi readers get to evade that dynamic, which I suppose could be seen as a bonus for them, especially if they want to get as far from Breden as they can. Non-bi readers, like myself, get the more complex relationship. Or they can flip their orientation to see what a romance with K/S is like.

Breden belongs (by definition) to a sex that you’re attracted to. That’s part of the mix that’s meant to make your relationship with Breden complex and memorable. I’m still not convinced that the initial pang of attraction should be a choice, any more than I get a choice in real life to feel attracted to a striking, highly charismatic woman.

As you get to know Breden better, there are almost immediately options that take you down a not-attracted-to-this-individual path. As a noble, you can be pissed off at her manipulation of you in the helot meetings, you can reject her, and when she forces the issue in Ch 2, you can shut it down permanently.

I wholly understand people hankering for noble romance options from your preferred sex, but I’m afraid I don’t intend those to crop up until Game II – when they will crop up in abundance.

@mreed, appreciate the detailed feedback and suggestions. I’m taking all proposals seriously.

1 Like