Choice of Magics -- PLEASE SEND IN BETA FEEDBACK SOON

Two thousand years after a vicious war brought the ancient world to an end, you have stumbled upon an ancient magic academy. Magic has been forbidden in the kingdom since the war–the Church of Abraxas makes sure magic-users disappear–but you are determined to unlock the secrets of the past.

Choice of Magics is an epic tale where you rise to hold the fate of the world in your hands. Will you bring the world to the brink of disaster to bring back the wonders of the ancients? Will you engineer monsters, only to have them turn against you? In drawing on the sky’s power, will you create an eternal storm that threatens to drown the world? Or will you become immortal and whisper secrets in the ears of mortals forevermore? Will you die to ensure your dreams live on, or will others die in your stead? Whether you use your magic to forge taciturn golems, or design strange chimerical creatures, or wipe the neighboring empire off the map, or win the crown for yourself – the choice is yours.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE copy the log from the stats screen when you mail in your comments. It will help track down errors.

Email me, jason AT choiceofgames for access. DO NOT SEND ME A MESSAGE THROUGH THE FORUM MAIL SYSTEM. When you send your EMAIL, include your forumname, your real name, and the game you want to test.

(You cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.)

I will send you a link, a username, and a password.

Return feedback TO ME. Preferably part of the same thread, rather than a new email.

I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, SCREENSHOTS are VERY HELPFUL. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that. Also, the “BUG” button is great; but if you use BUG, make sure to say in your email who you are, so I can give you credit for the report.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback:

In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

20 Likes

Also, copy-pasting your story summary from the stats screen is super useful for me knowing the context of your comments!

IT’S HAPPENING PEOPLE AAAAA

19 Likes

How’s that for a down-and-dirty description? Do you want to send me any edits?

Just add OR MAYBE YOU’RE DOING SOMETHING ELSE and we’re set. :wink:

I’ll discuss logistics over email.

Hahaha I knew it!!!

You still put elements of sci-fi (well steampunk at least) in a fantasy work! I’m so excited! I wanna beta but I also want to read the work when it’s done! What should I do?!!!

2 Likes

Why not both? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

But it would take away from the actual game its uniqueness and awe-factor and complete unpredictability of what’s about to happen next!

I still reminisce the first time I played Choice of Robots and I got the Robot-companion. I decided to make a robot copy of the Mc instead of surgery… and well the result was heart-warming (thank you for that by the way, the romance was unexpected but… it was good - like sincerely good).

And of course Choice of Alexandria, I will always love your interpretation of Euclid as a person, so based on your previous works I am nigh certain there is a wow factor moment waiting for me… and I’ll probably just wait for it to come out.

Horayyy to you though, it’s finally here! Congratulations!!!

4 Likes

You had me at “engineer dragons.” By the time I got to “delve into dungeons” I found myself compelled to ask if there was any way you could ask Matt Mercer to narrate. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I’d like to test this game but I have a question first. Is it absolutely necessary to include my real name? I don’t think you’ll abuse the information or anything, it’s just my privacy is extremely important to me and I would prefer not to.

1 Like

This sounds like fun!

@jasonstevanhill

I tried sending an email to the address you directed, jason AT choiceofgames, but it told me that it didn’t recognise the email address. I added the DOT com afterwards. Was that right, or did the email go elsewhere?

1 Like

I animated the tray to fetch the alchemist set and totally felt like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia (Sorcerer’s Apprentice).

Thank you for making me smile. :smile:

3 Likes

You don’t have to include your real name to beta test since it is only needed for the credits page.

2 Likes

So I was in the process of turning my carrot super (“Karoto fortis, sto komma sto stoma!”) and I immediately thought of Dragon Ball (Kakarotto). Intentional or not, the easter eggs in this game are fantastic! :star_struck:

1 Like

I can’t wait for this game!

1 Like

I’ll wait for it to come out for real. Don’t want to know anything about it at all until I buy it.

1 Like

New draft posted!

I love this can I join :blush:

That murder golem is OP! :sunglasses: