Choice of Box: Help/Resource Site (Updated 04/22/16)

As long as you make your own idea without any external factors going into it, the chance of it being plaigarism is about 1%

There are no entirely-new ideas. Billions of people, all thinking busily, have been there before us. Ideas are not protected by copyright law so much as the way you express those ideas. Plagiarism comes in when you lift someone elseā€™s expression of an idea and pass it off as your own.

You can take off from anyone elseā€™s starting point and extend a story or a concept in a new way. This is the basis of both fan fiction and parody; but it is also the basis of rich, exciting creative work.

Yep. Every basic plot imaginable has been used, so you just have to make it different via the characters and writing style.

Thank you to Lucid for submitting How I Got Paid
http://www.choiceofbox.com/tutorials/how-i-got-paid/

@lucid or @anyone

How much would you get paid roughly on average for creating a cs under the banner of hosted games

@JLBH

I have to tell HMRC the income for a year to get the certificate of residency required for CoG to pay me and according to Jason itā€™d be approx Ā£1000 for the year but it would be hard to predict.

Hope that helps.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Thatā€™s a vast underestimate, in my opinion. Maybe the poorly recieved gamebooks, but not ones like Unnatural. Havenā€™t you made half of that in like 2 weeks?

@JLBH
Anywhere from $1,000-7,000 most likely.

@Samuel_H_Young

Iā€™m still dealing with the UKs HMRC to get a certificate of residency they are being awkward and having to wait for a call back.

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Yeah, but I mean your novel has still earned that much. I find it hard to believe that half of your annual revenue would be made in 2 weeks. I predict Unnatural will make $10,000

@JLBH
It also depends on what your gamebook is priced at. $1 Will hardly make you anything unless itā€™s exxtremely succesful, whereas $3 will make you decent money.

@Samuel_H_Young @JLBH

I worked it out that last time I had sales figures it has about 1262 sales on 16th Jan. Which would earn me about Ā£404 but I wonā€™t know for sure until I sort out the certificate. We may have to take tax into account. For me it might depend on whether they take my income from my actual job or not.

Unfortunately, the details arenā€™t shared with authors. I have 2 games, with a price change on the first. But, i donā€™t get any breakdown of sales, or even a differentiation between the 2 games. Iā€™m guessing the big hits to get $10k over their lifetime. I have no clue what the lesser priced games will earn.

@Lucid @LordIrishdas

ā€œAmazon App Storeā€ and ā€œKindle Fireā€ are the same thing.

The different one is ā€œe-Ink Kindleā€ or the ā€œActive Content programā€.

Also, we can and do (sometimes) publish to Nook and Windows8 Store. But the sales are so small, we donā€™t bother to put the HG games on those. We barely bother to put the COG games. But theyā€™re there just in case.

@Lucid
So you just get one check, instead of one for Life of a Wizard, and another for Paradox Factor?

@jasonstevanhill I am just placing the articles up :slight_smile: but still good to know.

*Edit I added this as a comment below the article. Thanks

So on a decent sized game, your looking at 3000 depending on pricing is that over the year? Also how much would you roughly get paid a month depending on the pricing so what 500 a month? So you know what 25% royalties and 1000 pounds/dollars for 10,000 words extc is that just for CoG games or HG aswell

@JLBH

the 10k or 25% royalties was a CoG choice, the Hosted Games authors just get the 25% royalties.

How much you earn will depend on which platform they sell on and how many you sell. You make more for copies sold on Chrome Store BUT Chrome and Amazon are a small percentage of what you get. (for example Unnatural has sold over 800 copies on iOS and over 400 on Android, Chrome and Amazon would probably be about 100 or something or even less [only got 12 ratings on Amazon])

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Chrome gives an exact number of downloads (which the other platforms should REALLY start doing), and it says itā€™s been downloaded 214 times. Since it appears as though approximately 50% of the people who read the demo buy the whole story, Iā€™d say that at least 100 people have bought Unnatural on Chrome.

So how much would a decent game be looking at

@JLBH
It really depends on how well the gamebook is received and what itā€™s priced at. Heroes Rise: The Prodigy and The Hero Project are making over $10,000 a year each. Itā€™s hard to say, since it all depends on how good and long your story is, but itā€™ll most likely earn you anywhere from 1-10k a year. If you make sequels, the sales will probably rise each year.

In half a month Unnatural sold 1262 copies which worked out about Ā£400 so Iā€™d guess itā€™d make between Ā£800-Ā£1000 in a month so something under Ā£12000 maybe in a year. But anything over 9k is taxable so you have to knock money off that. I earn about Ā£1200 a month and get taxed just over Ā£300 for example.