Choice of Box: Help/Resource Site (Updated 04/22/16)

Really sick right now but as soon as I am better will fixes thanks

@Cecilia_Rosewood
Have made the corrections and thank you so much for taking the time to point them out.

@Everyone
If you feel I am missing content or wish to write something, please feel free to hit me up. Thanks all and as always if you have a wip with a thread and I don’t have it listed let me know.

It’s looking good! (+ 20 characters )

1 Like

I have linked the stories for the 2015 CSComp. I have neglected the site for some time now. Planning on doing a revamp here in a month or so. Anybody that wants to contribute please pm. We are going away from wordpress as it has had a few issues, going back to good old html setup.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for this to catch back up again, way better than scavenging forums for links

The site is back up and running. I did go back to Wordpress it would take me far to log to code in all the feature I want. I am adding new security protocols as well some features from my server. Going to take some time to rebuild the wip listing. If you would like to have your wip listed or if you wish to share some content you can email it to choiceofbox@gmail.com Please do not pm as I hate the pm feature, It is hard to track the tons of pm’s I get. Thanks

The link doesn’t work

The site is up. You may have to hit CTRL+F5 to force a refresh of the page contents

1 Like

I have added a simple chatroom on the front page. Depending on feedback I may upgrade to the full version. I have also added a WIP submission to make it simpler for me to add new WIPs in the directory.
http://www.choiceofbox.com/?p=66
It will simply email me the info for security and I will manually add it up. Have a lot to add to the site so will be working on here and there. As always we welcome content and help.

1 Like

I have been mauling over the WIP directory and remember how long it took to build it the last time and it also required a lot of work to add new submissions. Have been looking into using MS access with WP, but alas they do not work well with each other without out a lot of frittering with .cvs and a lot of php.

Then I moved to looking at a lot of plugins that might work like access, there again not much success. Finally I came across a directory program that may do the trick. The learning curve does not seem to bad and once I figure out how to customize to my whims it may make my work a lot simpler. I will let you all now over then next few weeks how it goes. In the mean time continue to send your WIP info and as soon as I have the new directory built will add them. Thanks.

So no way for people to submit their own entries?

After being hacked twice I am not so inclined to allow that type of access with my limited skills. And while I am happy to pay for a plugin here and there I do not have the funds to hire a programmer to build something that would allow the freedom to add submissions on their own. While I would love this feature, unless one of you all are a master WP builder and want to donate your time, this is not likely to happen, sorry.

“I see!” Said the blindman to the deaf mute

As he picked up his hammer and saw.

Have the afternoon off so working on the site. Still looking for a good solution for the directory. The plugin did not offer what I wanted, back to the drawing board. :smile:

*Edit
I have spent a few hours looking for a plugin that would do what I want for the WIP directory, but a last it does not exist. I do not look forward to writing the directory again as I spent 100 hours building it last time. Plus updating new info was a bit of a pain. Hench I am going to learn how to write a plugin for Wordpress. I imagine this will take some time as I know nothing on the subject so will have to teach myself. I will continue gathering info from you all and will update you all on progress.

Wordpress has crashed on me. I was only adding a plugin but now cannot use any action from the admin board. I will have to reinstall and start over.

*edit
I was able to go in resolve the problem manually. The form plugin caused the problem. Will have to build the form submission page from scratch as I cannot make of the form plugins to work. There is another plugin over writting it but not sure which and I have to many extensions to search manually. I will be learning how to do this first before moving on with anything else with the site.

**Edit
It has crashed on me again lol. Going to stop for the day as I have been at to long and going to start pulling my hair. I will try to pick this up again Friday. Going to switch gears and actually do some writing.

I am currently working on my game today but will be working on this tomorrow. Going to have to reload Wordpress, something in the plugins scrambled the backend so I cannot make any changes. I will try to work on this one to two days a week until I have it backup and running. Have tons of content to add but first will be the WIP directory once I have everything stable.

Alright I reset the site and currently working on building the directory pages. Once I have them set will start adding back all the WIP info, but please submit your WIP and I will be happy to add it. I have a few emails already and will be adding them in the order I received them. Have a long list of material to add up on the site, but going to take time as I can only code on the site when I am shutdown and have signal.
http://www.choiceofbox.com/

*Edit
Have done what I can do for the night. Please send your WIPs, :slight_smile:

**I like the theme, but do not like how it list links. I will try and change the css file so it at least changes the font color to standard blue. Any thoughts?

I don’t mind the color of the links matching the color of the theme. Of course that only counts as long as the links are properly indicated. There are some things about the site that bother me a lot more than that.

I really dislike the moving background picture. It’s terribly distracting.And the color makes the ‘Choice of Box Interactive Fiction Help’ text unreadable.

Also, as it is every author has described their WiP’s in some random way. It’d look a lot better if we had some sort of basic structure to adhere to. For example:

• Author
  • Titel
  • Description
  • Game link
  • Thread link

Lastly, the links to my WiP’s don’t work for some reason. :cry: I guess something got mixed up coding it into the site, because the two links I sent (one for the game and one for the thread) seem to have gotten mashed together. The text of the link indicates that it’s the first one, but the link itself redirects you to the choice of games forum, though it doesn’t end up at the right thread either.

Have only a moment, great insight thank you. I agree I do need to follow some type of format for layout out for the author info. Was busy getting things backup, but will go back and set a standard format that I will follow before getting to far into it.

As far as the pic sliding around not much I can do as I would have to hack the theme, which I am not so sure I could do effectively. There are several things about the theme I am liking less and less. However finding one that will handle the logo, as it is a rather large file, has been a problem. I may play with a few other themes and see what kind of input I receive.

I will fix the links tonight if I have signal. Thanks.