Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

My MC is named Mia from the list of names because I like the fact that it means “mine” in Italian. I don’t think the prophetess was saying that the MC was hers by rights, but that the MC is owned by no one but herself. Basically, “I am mine,” or, “I am my own.”

3 Likes

(I apologize in advance; I created a good deal of Bearers. Also used names offered because I love when a game acknowledges that the name has a meaning and the character was given the name for a reason). :sweat_smile:

Male
Evander (Poseidon): A reminder that things are not so simple. As much as Evander means ‘good man’ and his mother probably wanted him to retained that sense of kindness he had in him, Priscilla of all people probably knows that ‘good’ and ‘evil’ are not so easily defined and wanted Evander to remember that himself. Even the boy himself wouldn’t really consider himself good; when asked why he helps others when it doesn’t really benefit him, he simply states it’s because of his common sense.

Damon (Hades): A reminder that there is strength in gentleness. Aside from meaning ‘to tame’, the name Damon also can mean ‘gentle’. I’d like to think that Priscilla caught a momentary glimpse at her son’s future hardship and decided to give him this name in hopes that he would still retain his gentleness will also gaining the strength ‘to tame’ those who oppose him. The name Damon also has links to a legend about a Damon who waited faithfully for his friend’s return without a single doubt, so he also gained this name in hopes that he would develop a strong, unwavering bond with his brothers (particularly Aeson).

Pan (Zeus): A reminder to laugh at himself. Arrogance is probably something that the children of Zeus are much too prone to having due. So Pan’s mother gave him a silly sounding name to remind her son that it was OK to laugh at himself and for others to laugh too, as well as . That said, Pan is actually his nickname; his true full name (which Priscilla purposely kept to herself) is Panas, which can mean ‘immortal’. On another note, I wonder if Saint and him will at some point question their mom’s naming sense.

Female
Mia (Poseidon): A reminder she is loved. Mia is the type of person who tends others tend to draw people to her, to the point that all of the Twelve are not fully immune to her charisma. Her mother gave her the name to let her daughter know that, even if she ever found herself alone, she was loved by someone. It is also a name of warning, as her daughter would likely find herself in a situation like her mother’s if she is not careful (kind of playing with the idea that Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon all loved her in some way, and that Mia may inadvertently cause the same sense of love and devotion to blossom in the three male love interests herself).

Nyx (Zeus): A reminder she can rely on her own strength. The Nyx of legend is one even the King of the Gods fears, so she wanted her daughter to become someone who is acknowledged due to her own strengths, not due to who her father is…but in all honesty, Priscilla mostly named her Nyx for giggles, feeling it would be quite an ironic name to give to a daughter of Zeus. Also her daughter doesn’t look like the type of person who would have a name like Nyx, which makes it more humorous.

Anastasia (Hades): A reminder to look to her past. While Echo is someone who ‘hears’ the voices of their past, Ana is someone who experiences her past, often having dreams that made her re-live some moments of her past briefly. The Bearer’s past may hold answers to the prophecy that is being spoken, so Priscilla gave her the name to get her to pay close attention to what her past is telling her. Ana also gained the name because of her mother’s odd sense of humor, seeing as she is the daughter of the God of the Underworld.

Nonbinary
Echo (Poseidon): A reminder to listen. Echo is a listener by nature in more ways than others realize, having a oddly strong connection to their past lives. So Priscilla gave them this name to let them know it was it was OK to hear the voices of their past. It’s also those who ‘echo’ back another’s emotions that tend to be the most empathetic, something that Priscilla hoped others would be able to see, despite her child’s difficulty at expressing themselves.

Alex (Zeus): A reminder to protect others. Alex is a odd combination innocent and uncaring. While friendly and not particularly hot-tempered, they are also a good deal disconnected from others and tend to only do things if it interests them or they’ve taken enough of a liking to someone. So they gained this name from a mother’s hope that they will grow emotionally enough to become the type of person who would become a true ‘defender of man’.

Rain (Hades): A reminder to let things go. the rain washes over everything, sometimes gently and sometimes harshly. But eventually the rain has to stop and let the sun come through. For this child in particular, Priscilla wanted Rain to be the type of person who could move forward with their head held high and embrace both the joys and sorrows in their life without being completely weighed down by them. Rain also gained their name as a reminder to not judge people so quickly, since rain falls on all without judgement of their past or their actions.

13 Likes

Hi all of the choices in the part where you wake up in the hospital give me an error it says line 120 not a number false

Didn’t someone a while back suggest a drinking game for how many times people don’t read the thread and bring up the error?

3 Likes

Oh I’m sorry I didn’t now thanks for telling me

That would be me among others :stuck_out_tongue: (PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY)

But it seems like we’d all have liver poisoning at the rate we’re going

While twiddling our thumbs, does anyone want to talk about the traitor god? Last I remember, Hermes seemed to poll as the most likely one. Wonder if that’s changed

3 Likes

Hades. He seems too nice. Plus too involved with BOTH side of the Essence. Like he’ll guilt trip them into following him.

While it’s cliché, there’s a reason why every story/myth about Hades displays him as bad. True the author can twist it whatever way they can, most typically remain to the original.

Btw, where the hell is Hermes?

4 Likes

My money is on Hades or Ares being the traitor.

1 Like

It’s Hades. Hint: Notice the options on how to approach Priscilla in the beginning…

Because the Greeks were afraid of death?

In the myths all he does is help people, and kidnap his wife, though that’s kind of glossed over just because you never hear any problems about their relationship. And since he’s king of the underworld, it’s kind of easy to compare him to Satan.

Though I’d bet on Hades too since Rohie wanted getting him to be difficult. Alternatively Hermes or possession.

8 Likes

I would bet on Hades, just because, A, he seems to have a hidden guilt to him. Also, what’s the reason he had to return to Olympus for when you were ten? B, remember when you were a newborn and you began crying in the traitorous God’s arms because you could sense his “evil”? That also gets brought up later when you’re three if you choose to bite Hades. C, Persephone may be in on it because she gives off some serious b!tch vibes. Even more than Aphrodite does.

Although, a counter argument could be that Hades constantly calls you “Iroas” which is Greek for “Hero”.

A counter to that counter argument could be “But to whom is she a hero?” It could be that the MC is Chronus’ hero…

6 Likes

Most up to date link?

Hermes and Hades seem to be the most obvious candidates, though I’m leaning more towards Hermes. Honestly, I prefer that the traitor god was someone other than Hades–but this is mostly because I’m tired of seeing Hades portrayed as the ‘Big Bad’ or ‘that broody/emo guy’ all the time.

13 Likes

What choices do i have to make to not end up in the hospital?

You will always end there

It would be very disappointing if Hades ends up being the traitor God. He has been unjustly portrayed as the villain in various films based on Greek mythology due to Christian influence connecting the meaning of Hades with Hell, and forever associating him with Satan due to being the ruler of Hades. Hermes is most likely the second choice since being the God of Thieves also brings up a very strong possibility of having a different agenda. It would however be very entertaining if the God or Goddess were completely unexpected. Someone who hasn’t been portrayed as evil in previous media such as Demeter, Aphrodite, Poseidon, Dionysus or pull a red herring with Hades and make the real culprit Persephone.

12 Likes

The traitor deity is mentioned as “he”. Ares is my theory of traitor, followed by Hermes. Though Persephone being the real villain would prove interesting.

It’d be crazy if it just ended up being Zues selling out his children and siblings

4 Likes

I’ve thought that Hermes was at least a good suspect for a while now. Hades may have his own agenda with the Bearer/Bestower (not that the other gods don’t have theirs), but nothing to this extent.

And isn’t he also the messenger of the gods? Knowing enough of their plans, while keeping his secret… Sounds cliched, but still works. On the other hand, the issue of his son being killed or falling to his death would play some role in how he handles his actions. Or how his daughter would react to this.

3 Likes

In universe, or at least as previously discussed several posts back, the reason as to why Hermes was a likely candidate was because he is the gods’ secret keeper (being a messenger god and all).

So if anyone knows anything, it’s likely him. And since “everyone likes Hermes” it might put him above suspicion (at least for a little while)

Plus source material also has him as a trickster deity so it helps the case as him being the traitor.

As to Persephone, Rohie mentioned ages ago she’s a little extra/flair for drama as a character but nothing really about motivations and what not. I doubt it’s her but we’ll see

My own personal bet is that it’s unlikely to be a father who is the traitor. Zeus has a lot to lose if he was, Poseidon seems to have 0 interest in that sort of power, and Hades (at least myth wise) has little interest in Olympus affairs – he lives a drama free life you see, or at least as much as possible

Ares seems likely if only for purging the world into chaos (his source is war after all, the brutality of it at least) but then his antagonism of the MC wouldn’t help the long run. And while he’s a hot head and 90% “FIGHT ME” in what we’ve seen, I’d like to think he’s smarter than that. So yes, still a lot of doubt tbh

TL;DR: Hermes still looks likely imo

10 Likes