Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

@idonotlikeusernames

Whether people will come to like the Bearer will also come down to their actions, their attitude, and how they interact with others in the end. There are likely people who aren’t too sure about the rumors or don’t put much stalk in what everyone apparently knows since all that is really known is mostly based in rumors currently.

I hope we can play with more of them soon; it really was a nice scene to experience after being hit in the face with how drastically different people treated the Bearer and Bestower.

Who?

Depending on our actions, of course. And even then, it’s more along the lines of budding friendship. Understandable, since both them and the Bearer don’t really know each other.

Though they could’ve been a little more aware of how their actions could perceived by the Bearer when the Bearer approached them after Aeson’s return. Saint and Calypso in particular came off as really inconsiderate to how the Bearer could possibly be feeling during that moment (Adonis being the only one to show at least a little awareness that the Bearer may not be in the best of moods for a number of reasons).

1 Like

I forget but we meet her when our Calypso friend offers aseat in what I assumed was math. So far seems like a side character.[quote=“idonotlikeusernames, post:10164, topic:15482”]
The “stats screen” aka the most unreliable thing in this game, because according to that thing my character really should be magically proficient to finesse that lock, instead of blowing up the door, same as a “warrior”. :unamused:
[/quote]None of the essense stat descriptions imply finesse.

1 Like

Oh, that girl! Isn’t that class we meet her in History though?

“in what I assumed”

I just remembered that she existed.

1 Like

So then we’re back to the whole the mage may have some “magical” “essence” power but can’t do a damn with it, because we haven’t even got a clue of how to use it, which in turn makes it as good as worthless, if all we’ve got is some potential, that’s going to take us years, decades, centuries or even millennia to begin to learn how to actually use any of it to our advantage.
So the only thing we’ve got now is wild, uncontrollable “essence ex machina”, whenever the plot feels like it. :unamused:

1 Like

I saw it more as brute force instead of essence ex machina.

What brute force? The MC is barely able to do some basic spells. :unamused:

6 Likes

@Dark_Stalker

I just checked the scene; it’s History class.

1 Like

Indeed, the brute force only manifests in the “essence ex machina” plot sections such as blowing up that door. :unamused:
Any other time we can barely use any magic and have the greatest trouble casting a simple light spell after our coma.

3 Likes

You mean besides shooting a flare, invisibility and whipping a trained seeker. Ignoring the fact that they don’t even do “magic”.So it’s not meant for us in the first place.

[quote=“Okami-Nora, post:10172, topic:15482”]
I just checked the scene; it’s History class
[/quote]

9 Likes

All before our coma, after that we can barely cast that flare spell anymore and we handle that lock and door the exact same way as a “warrior” who has never even tried to use their essence powers to cast a spell before.

2 Likes

These are pretty basic “spells” and the MC is still drained and ready to faint after doing them.

From what i remember we don’t even blow up the entire door. Only the lock, not at all impressive for the mighty Essence.

1 Like

True, not all that impressive for a supposed “mage”.

Yeah, in any other game these, maybe aside from the invisibility, those would be very basic “starter” spells. In any case the amount of pain and effort it takes the mc to cast even the simplest “spell” stands in shrill contrast to Aeson’s effortless displays of “magic”.

2 Likes

Because everyone shows their pain?

So you’re trying to blast it with enough force to break the door instead of the lock to show off?[quote=“Arkham, post:10176, topic:15482”]
These are pretty basic “spells” and the MC is still drained and ready to faint after doing them.
[/quote]

These are “basic” spells in a world where barely anyone knows “magic”… and it’s an assumption that they’re basic anyway…

1 Like

How about we all agree that how effectively the Bearer uses their abilities is solely a matter of perspective on our own individual Bearers and keep it at that? :sweat_smile:

I think @Rohie mentioned that the manipulation of light and gravity is something that takes most many years to do, so it’s safe to say that the Bearer is likely above average in their use of magic (heck, Cally, Sage and Santiago are completely shocked when the Bearer uses magic make a light to get their attentions and stop their arguing).

11 Likes

Someone would expect from the power that created the universe to blast that door to pieces and shake the building accidentally! I would not expect masterful control of these powers with no training. But i can’t really see the reason for the lack of raw power.

My mistakes are there for everyone to see… :sob:

Fixed it for you! :grinning:

10 Likes

I have to wonder whether another circular discussion abt the Bearer’s powers is really warranted @ this point considering:
1: The forthcoming update is a thorough rewrite tht is probably going to render most of what we know redundant. It’s already been established that it is plot altering; things are going to change.
2: Rohie has mentioned that this is an underdog story, through and through. You are not coming into the story with faultless control over powers you don’t even really have yet. The transfer hasn’t even happened yet! Yeah, you lack training, but we’ve also displayed a remarkable aptitude for the essence. Your opinions are your own, you’re obviously welcome to keep them but it’s pretty hard to dispute that being capable of fending off highly trained elite demigods as an untrained runaway teenager fending for themselves is indicative of undeniable capacity. Not to mention wht Rohie said abt the Bearer’s manipulation of light/gravity.
3: Rohie has also said that we’d be more than capable by the time the war rolled around.
4: Aeson hasn’t shown us any magic in game yet, save for making some petals flutter. We know next to nothing abt his ability, and Rohie said he’s self taught, like us. Also, when the time comes, we’re taking the essence frm him. There’s no comparison to be making right now.
5: If you scroll back 100/150 posts, you see this discussion taking place with almost identical verbatim. Especially considering the way these discussions are framed, where you’re making it out to be a plot/writing problem instead of prsnl perception when it’s blatantly clear that it isn’t. For why, y’all.

22 Likes

Well here’s something I found presonally interesting:

I was looking at seeing if there were some legend connections to the names Evander and Damon since they’re the Bearers I have brought up the most in a number of discussions. And it turns out there is:

There is a Greek story about two close friends called Damon and Pythias. Pythias had insulted a King, causing him to be arrested and pretty much facing Death because of his carelessness. Pythias begged the King to at least, but the King did not believe that the man would come back if he lets him go. So Damon stepped up and said 'then I will stay in his place. If Pythias does not return, you can kill me in his place". The King was caught off guard by this claim and felt that Damon was out of his mind to make such a request, but allowed Pythias a month to go and say goodbye to his family.

But luck was not on Pythias’ side; he faced a number of obstacles that prevented him from getting back to the king on time. But even as the King kept telling Damon that his friend clearly abandoned him, Damon still steadfastly believed in his friend and never doubted his bond once. When the time of the execution came, Pythias managed to come back. he was in a pretty bad condition physically, but he refused to let his friend die in his place and immediately prepared to be. But the strong display of loyalty and friendship between Damon and Pythias touched the King so much that he let the man free (and even made both Damon and Pythias his advisers).

As for Evander, there is a Roman story about a wise Arcadian hero called Evander of Pallene who had introduced the Greek pantheon, laws and alphabet to Italy, where he would later build a city.

Speaking of names, I’m actually surprised that the Traitor God doesn’t make a comment about the name ‘Alex’; one of its meanings is ‘protector of mankind’ after all.

5 Likes