Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

Theorising leads to judgement, but I say that because this is going through the mind of my MC as well. And all she can afford to do is theorise as well, which irritates her.

Eventually, we’ll figure out what happened to our mother. My MC will likely place a hell of a lot of stock on how she treats the other characters in how they related to her death. Her death was something that Thora has mourned many times over the years, and whether she’s described as likeable or not, the idea of her is still remarkably prevalent in how she is why she is today.

I think we have different definitions of judgement…or different styles of theorising…or both…

Eh…I’m just already curious to get some information on Priscilla…well I’m also curious to find out more of the prophecy…the characters…the plot…every thing.

4 Likes

I was wondering something…

I was replaying the game, and in the beginning of the first chapter, there’s this paragraph:

a thirteen-year World War? how different is this worlds history from our own?

Ya; I saw that too… it doesn’t match the Cold War or WW2.

1 Like

This may sound like a strange question, but what’s to be done about accents?

This is less about the other characters accents as much as the MC’s; I know that the MC was born in Phoenix, but does that mean that we’re stuck with a southwestern American accent?

I suppose it depends on your own headcanon, but I suppose it also depends on circumstance. Does anyone else imagine an accent other than the basic southwestern one, because I’m not good with American accents; practically all of them end up sounding generic. I suppose your race would also be a factor, but not by much at all.

It depends on what you imagine Hades and Athena to sound like, really. I just wonder if all of the potential playable MC’s are grouped together with extremely different looks, but the same accent.

The MC has been on the run, so he/she could have lost their SW accent, or (more likely) consciously practiced to get rid of it - or even affect an artificial accent as a cover story - say “British” or “Aussie”…

1 Like

YAM YAM 4 MC!!! CONFUSE ALL YOUR CLASSMATES

4 Likes

Understandable, but I’ve always headcanoned that Athena, being the elegant genius that she is has always had an RP accent, and Hades had something rather similar (if less refined and more average) which they then imparted onto Thora.

She knows how to adopt an American accent easily, mostly because she learned to on the run and the fact that she grew up alongside Americans, but I always headcanon that her natural voice is a lot closer to British than American.

I think it’s influenced by the fact that I’m from London; I can envision and apply an RP accent much easier than an American one. Plus, Thora is deservedly badass and elegant at the same time.

Again, it’s just my headcanons. And also who has an RP accent besides Mr. Edris? Diversity is a must.

That’s probably another reason he likes her.

3 Likes

Since Athena and Hades are deities, wouldn’t their accent be whatever seems natural to whoever is listening?

To one person she sounds like a person from New York and to another person she could sound like a California Valley girl …

1 Like

U wot mate!? U call that diversity!? Where’s my Brummies, my Scousers, my Cockneys, my Geordies!?

3 Likes

I think the accent of a deity is somewhat natural to their character.

There are accents all over the world that have a reputation for sounding profoundly stupid or inelegant whenever you hear them; I find it unlikely that the Goddess of Wisdom would choose to give off that impression, consciously or subconsciously. So she would perhaps have a multitude of accents, but only use the ones that convey her intelligence.

I just headcanon her natural one being RP because of that fact. I envision a deity such as Ares or Hephaestus having a much rougher accent, pertaining to their violent and warlike characters.

here, children, we see classism ;p

2 Likes

Hey, my accent is very close to RP; most people at med school refuse to differentiate altogether and just repeat back what I say in an over-the-top posh voice that makes me want to punch them.

And Scouse and Cockney just makes me want to grind my ears into paste. Although that’s just me being unreasonable; I could possibly apply it to a character I really don’t like in the future. There are some accents that will always have an unfortunate stigma.

And there is no classism here; just cultural appropriation.

Sort of.

“My accent is the ideal for a god”. Seriously, why can’t people just turn expectations on their head? Poshies always make the gods in their image, why can’t we have something?

So like, accents you don’t like go on characters you don’t like… u daft lummock. I’m sure ud get tired of me quick.

1 Like

I’m not the one who created the cultural image that people with an RP accent are seen as cultured and intelligent; that happened WAY before I was born. And turning expectations on their head is something that I do like to do; but not when it’s my own accent, though. If I had literally any other accent in the world I’d be okay with doing that, I’ll have you know.

Although, that doesn’t really mean much, does it? I’m not really the victim here; all I can say is “yep, I’m perpetuating the ideal that my accent is superior”. It’s already ingrained into culture, but it’s still happened.

I feel awful and destitute and I wonder what can I do to make this pain stop?!

I don’t mind a persons accent as long as they themselves are interesting; I’m not going to let an accent get in the way of that the same way I wouldn’t let my opinions of a person be soured by their sexuality or race.

That’s just me being vindictive.

I’m sure you’d be a sparkling conversationalist. Although you’d have to teach me some of the insults.

2 Likes

Since a few people are complaining about the accent discussion, can you start a new thread to continue the discussion please? (I’m assuming the flags were because it was off-topic.)

Prejudice against people, because of their accents, is a real thing. It would be an interesting thing to discuss on its own.

7 Likes

omg, thank you. glad to know i’m not the only one who noticed. when i saw that i had to quickly look up “how long was wwi” and then again with wwii just to make sure i wasn’t misremembering my history.

The problem is that it’s hard to give exact dates for wars. WWII, for example, could be described as 14 years long, if one starts at the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, although most people only count it as six years (Germany’s invasion of Poland) or four if you start at Pearl Harbour. I… don’t know how to make it 13, though. :confused:

EDIT: It gets up to 59 years if you count the reunification of Germany as the end-point. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well then, my mc would likely decide “it’s Ares’ turn now!” :laughing: :joy:

1 Like

Just a small typo found while playing a guy MC; last scene, just after Santiago fell from the sky:

[spoiler] [quote]
“That’s up to debate,” Sage mutters. “and what do you mean ‘team’?”

Santiago turns to **_herm _**rolling his eyes. “You must have bumped your head on the way down. Isn’t it obvious?” he says. “If they wanted us to duke it out, they’d have thrown us in an arena with weapons and tell us to spare eyeballs.” [/quote] [/spoiler]