Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

incense is more of a Zoroastrian thing not a Greek pagan thing. Just saying.

3 Likes

Just weighing in on the Flashback thing, I can kind of see both sides of the argument. On one hand, the Flashbacks are really interesting, offer a huge amount of insight and give us great historical windows. On the other hand, I think all of us, at some point or other, whether it was a TV show, movie, book or game, have been annoyed by a flashback. When they come at inopportune times, when people are desperate to keep moving forward with the story, they can be frustrating. In this scenario, I can see why people who are eager to meet Aeson, their potential soulmate, might feel stymied to suddenly be ejected into the Trojan War before sharing a single word with him.

Personally though, I’m fine with the Flashback where it is, it’s interesting to read and it’s a brilliant place for it, if anyone would trigger a flashback it’d be Aeson. I can’t think of many other places to put flashbacks anyway, unless maybe they were inserted like dream segments. That way they’d be in between the action.

4 Likes

I never had a problem with flashbacks; even if I was jonesing to continue with the story, a flashback always provided extra context that I wasn’t previously aware of. Most of them are quite important; if they weren’t, it’s likely they wouldn’t be put in at all. But even if they are inconsequential, then they do provide an outside single on the story we haven’t seen, and context often essential to the story, no matter how small. I think it just ties in to my need to know everything I can.

Same with this; it may diverge from the story, but we now have knowledge, context and experience we were previously not privy to. Because of that flashback, we know more than we did.

Even if you don’t connect with the flashback characters themselves, you can know how they fit in. You can know how somebody you’ve never seen in the actual story was essential for the story’s continuance, or you can make sure that somebody thought to be destined to fade into obscurity will in fact be known.

So many angles.

2 Likes

Well that was just my opinion thats all. If it came rude then sorry, it was not my intention to insult the autor or anyone else. I have nothing against flashbacks that are not too long (so they wont disrupt the flow of the story), but author could use some other less popular and not overused war or legend as the trojan war cause the author clearly has the knowledge to do so. Still i love the main story, admire your work and will get the game when its finished;)

2 Likes

“Because of Aeson,” Adonis says. “We were thirteen, I thin. I remember it was my first month at the Institute, and I was on my way to the forging room when this guy knocked me down. He came out of nowhere, really. I was already in a pretty bad mood because Lia Williams just–never mind. The point is, I was about ready to explode at that point.”

Thin is supposed to be think

how do you romance Paris in the flashback? I never have above 50 relationship with him

When Helen calls for you, go to her. She’ll say she’s in love with Paris, and then Leon/Korrina will have four options presented to them as to why they want to take action and stop Helen from running off. One of them explicitly states that they don’t want Helen to do that because the past Bearer themselves is in love with Prince Paris (the others reasons for wanting to stop Helen is because you either care about her as a friend, as someone you love romantically, or because you don’t want a war to happen).

Although, it’s not so much a romance as it is a implication of feelings from the past life (though you get some interesting extra dialogue from Aeson if the past Bearer liked Paris or Aphrodite if the past Bearer liked Helen).

3 Likes

Hehe, just discovered this little jewel last night and binged read it (first WIP I was actually able to binge read more than three chapters :o). I really like it so far <3 I’m sad to know Saint isn’t an RO, I kind of liked him :c I just thought MC having the same eye color as him was just a coincidence at the time x.x Even in my second play through when I changed my eye color from green to blue today (normally I pick brown eyes when given the chance but I thought I’d live on the edge this time around); I merely shrugged it off as me being tired and throught I set my eye color to green last time just to pick blue again. I’ll just have settle for making him, Cally, and Adonis my best friends then.

Though to hear Sage is a love interest is amusing. I’m tempted to kill her brother just to see how that would play out :3 Actually, I might just go ahead and do that. On both my play throughs I haven’t deviated from my “from reserved to calm and peaceful” character. Maybe I’ll delete one of them and make one a charmer and another an angry murderer (then hopefully find a way back to calm and peaceful because I love it when angry people find peace) ^.^ Admittedly though, I find reserved characters aren’t all that satisfying to play. If it’s an NPC nine times out of ten your character gets the choice to respect their reservation and coax them out from behind their walls. Feels like this is handled differently from the MC’s perspective, or maybe I just rushed it.

Question about magic and morality: why does going towards the dark potions in Nephilim’s house increase your immorality? I feel like the game is telling me I’m evil for liking dark colors :c It’s not like I knew that was a Centaur’s blood I picked up Dx Or was is actually looking at the potions in general that decreased my morality?

Also, does choosing my magic effect my morality of whether or not I’m good or evil? I didn’t check to see if choosing shadow magic was what actually caused to me to have a lower standing with the public in one my play throughs than the other, but it’s the only thing I did different (unless they genuinely care if their hero plays the piano or the violin? Jokes aside, does that come into play later? I’d be nice to unwind with a skill not combat related… And maybe show off a little x3). Also, I’m a sucker for “light isn’t inherently good/dark isn’t inherently bad” trope.

As for my thoughts in on the flashbacks: I personally loved it :3 (Also, your game is really fancy, dude <3). The whole soul mate idea is what initially made me decide Aeson will be my love interest instead. First game that made me deviate from my chosen love interest v.v Though, I guess I wouldn’t have much of a choice since Saint isn’t even a love interest Dx

You know what would be kind of cute though? Is if another flashback is planned it would be interesting if it was the Bestower who pursues the Bearer and the Bearer who gets to decide whether or not to encourage those feelings or deny them c: It would certainly add a new outlook to their past relationships than the current “the Bearer pursued the Bestower in one of their past lives” that stands. I also feel like it would have a little more impact on Aeson, or at least make a bit harder to be indifferent in the following discussion x3 Because, you know, that would not only be twice they showed romantic feelings for one another in the past but it would be (obviously) flipped.

8 Likes

If I recall, the light potion is fairy blood, which is arguably even more immoral.

1 Like

Dude xD Now I feel bad for just looking at the potions!

But I don’t see one being more immoral than the other. It’s blood from a living creature in a jar no matter how you look at it x.x

1 Like

No it doesn’t. It’s a purely cosmetic choice.

(But I think it was mentioned that the chosen instrument will come up again…though it doesn’t influence the citizens stat as far as I can tell.)

Depends on where you pin down fairies on the morality scale…In many myths they aren’t what people would call nice or even “good”.

1 Like

And I’ve read at least one story where killing fairies (in cold blood, no less) was treated as the unambiguously moral thing to do, so yeah. Point conceded.

formerly living”

1 Like

Or they are still alive and Nephlim just got the blood from a blood bank for supernatural creatures… (And he put it into vials because “aesthetic”)

2 Likes

Is helen a romance character cause let me tell you i want helen to be my girlfriend.

2 Likes

No she is not not goddess as romantic choice.

@Misa101

For the Past Bearer? Technically yes (more like implied feelings since the two couldn’t really be together due to their circumstances).

For the current Bearer? No; only Sage, Santiago, Calypso, Adonis, Aeson, and Avery are the currently confirmed ROs for our Bearer.

no, i have tried making @rohie add helen as a ro :heart_eyes:, but she did refuse even when i put my puppy eyes :disappointed:

As Aphrodite stated, the past should stay in the past. Helen had spent a good 60 years mourning a Bearer who had been her friend (and almost a hundred years if she had loved them). It would feel almost cruel to have her meet the current Bearer and make her relive the grief (and possible guilt) she experienced when she first learned of their death in the Trojan War (wonder who was the one to tell her that news).

Besides, the fact she and the Bearer can’t really meet again really hits a person with how tragic the Bearer’s/Bestower’s situation is and how those who bond with them are not unaffected by their existence or their all-too-soon partings (which doesn’t look good for the current potential friends/ROs who may not be fully aware of Aeson or the Bearer’s situation).

11 Likes

I love this game and I am looking forward to more.

I agree. When I first got to the flashback, I did not initially like it because it felt at first irrelevant to modern events. However, once my MC tried romancing Aeson, I adore the flashback for providing character interaction. On a side note, when my MC wields ultimate power, I REALLY hope my MC gets the option to hold Aphrodite to account for what she did to Prince Paris. It may have been thousands of years for Aphrodite, but my MC’s soulmate was stolen from my MC only to die in sight of my MC and my MC thinks Aphrodite deserves to pay for that.

Aeson is literally the MC’s missing half, soulmate, twin flame…

I got Hades as my MC’s father on the first try and that is who I would have preferred anyway. My MC considered it self-defense under the circumstances (as far as my MC is concerned, that seeker earned his fate the moment he tried to kill my MC with a dagger) and would not consider that evil :innocent:. The morality of what my MC intends to do to Aphrodite because of Aphrodite’s past actions is more debatable :imp:.

I LOVE this idea.

I admit during the dance I wanted the MC and Aeson to dance obliviously to a tune not heard since before the Fall of Troy. I could picture Aphrodite snidely commenting she should have blessed them both more since they could not dance properly to the music currently being played while Athena recognized what they were actually dancing to.

I REALLY hope we get the chance to get Athena and Hades together. I wonder whether Hades was forced into an arranged marriage just because his realm somewhat overlaps with Persephone’s sphere. Zeus seemed big on arranged marriages (Thetis for example) and never seemed to care about the feelings of those involved.

I may have missed this plot detail, but if the MCs get ultimate power, why can’t the MCs just make themselves immortal on their own? That seems like something the MCs would have tried in the past so a reason why it never worked needs to be given.

6 Likes

Because we don’t seem to get the “user manual” and either our puny human brains can’t make sense of it all or our puny human bodies “burn out” long before anything significant can be achieved, since changing to a non-human form which could handle these things apparently voids the whole Bearer deal and is just a creative form of suicide.
And if we somehow did manage to come close they could always kill the relatively defenseless Bestower, which would do us in as well.
So that’s why the Bearer has never achieved anything significant in who knows how many lifetimes.

1 Like