Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

It was in Old Greece, However, In Rome there are some pictures in duomos that seems to assembly Athenea in several grotesque sexual positions with slaves of some sort and owls. But no one knows exactly if where just some kind of joke that was consider like our modern humor cartoons, or it was part of some secret cult against Athena. Roman empire had sexual explicit material painting everywhere from public places to houses. The custom was put a picture of Priamo naked with his .Olympus… in erected position accompanied with women or men in some more detailed homes. However, most of this decorative art has lost due Cristianism. I studied this in the college sadly That interesting theme is too mature for our modern society. In fact your description of how olimpus decoration c it is far from what an Old Roman or Greek could imagine. It is ok, because Gods adapted to human customs.

Would that be Athena or Minerva? Ones Greek, and the other’s Roman.

Romans didn’t really care for Minerva.

Who can blame them? Minerva, what an awful thing to name your child. (Sorry toany and all Minervas. I don’t actually hate the name, but MAN is it a stuffy name).

ALSO CAN WE JUST TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE ROMAN MYTHOLOGY, FOR A MOMENT???

I’m a huuuge history buff, and I love Greco-Roman history, in particular. But holy mother of God, I hate when people refer to thr Greek Pantheon by Roman names, bc they’re Greek, not Roman ughhhggddchbskdoan!aoh /facedesk

3 Likes

I personally like the name.

I also like Roman mythology.

Not quite. Roman versions of the gods were more warlike than their their Greek selves.

The Roman gods, though based on the Greek, were always entities in Roman culture.

Really, you should never get the two confused. Granted, if someone’s trying to talk about Greek gods and calls them by their Roman name, that’s annoying.

Like when someone confuses Heracles and Hercules. Heracles is the Greek name. Hercules is Roman.

1 Like

Yes of course, I tend to use Greek ones because I knew how they are written in English, However No idea about Roman versions is Iuspiter Iuspater Iupiter Jupiter ? In Spanish is Jupiter. Same with Baco Bacus? Bacon?? … Roman empire respect Minerva however they have a cynical vision of her and most of not proper old native Etrurian gods. But many greek colony and late empire had more complex and cynical image of Athena.

1 Like

Also, Rome used their gods as more of a political tool. Rome had a cynical view on religions and were much more secular, they used gods to manipulate the masses and all that.

3 Likes

BACON!!!

The Gods’ greatest gift to humanity!

3 Likes

I always thought the temple of Bacon was the best smelling of all the temples.

3 Likes

The only god I really could help wholeheartly is Bacon. Bacon, Chocolate and Pizza that would be the new trinity if my character wins. Bacon Pizza and Chocolate don’t make wars or piss people. They are love and peace.

3 Likes

I personally haven’t researched how Athena and Minerva’s depictions are different but if it’s anything like Ares and Mars’, they likely almost seem like totally different people.

8 Likes

That’s because everyone is too fat and content to wage war with all that delicious food.

The first thing is that Athena as Minerva lost her war-goddess designation and battle-strategy aspect. She just was a wisdom goddess and goddess of domestic crafts.

Athena was too Greek for the Romans, also because Roman Virgin goddesses were complete virgins like Hestia and Artemis. Athena did have a mythological kid, but it was when her and Hephaestus’ sweat touched.

The Priestesses of Vesta, aka Hestia would be buried alive if they ever broke their vows and slept with a man, just imagine how shocked Romans would be if the goddess herself had children.

It was also because of Rome that Helios and Selene faded, they stopped sacrificing to them and named Apollo and Artemis into that position. Gods rely on belief, and cultural impacts. As long as Western Civilisation exists, the gods will still be able to exist.

Rome replaced Athena in their pantheon with Bellona. She was a proper Roman Goddess.

7 Likes

I just recently picked up Rick Riordan’s series and this sounds quite a bit like what was stated in Lightning Thief :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not that I dispute this, mind you. I was at Washington DC over the weekend and the Greco-Roman deities still have plenty of influence in art and architecture :smiley:

Mostly because think of it like this, the small amount of demigods that exist and quite possibly a few mortals would be unsustainable for them, so they had to tie themselves to something tangible. Something that couldn’t be destroyed easily such as a concept such as the West.

1 Like

Ewwww, DC during Memorial Day is awfullll. (But I already told you this). Didja have fun touristing the giant tributes to the Greek pantheon?

And @Sirostrike (I think you’re the one that mentioned this, sorry if not!), while there are subtle differences between the Roman and Greek pantheon, I find the Roman pantheon completely abhorrent, because it truly IS cultural appropriation. We like to talk about it today, but nothing in the modern day quite comes close to LITERALLY stealing an entire country’s religion and mythos.

And while there are some actual differences in the gods, every single Roman myth I’ve ever read has been almost word for word the same as its Greek counterpart (with small differences that I’m used to, such as in Greek-only different retellings).

That is why I can’t stand Roman mythology. They literally took a religion, renamed the gods, and just pretended it was theirs. And the Roman gods are the ones that planets get named after, for some reason! Wtf???

Anyway, I’m slightly curious if the Roman and Greek pantheons are separate entities in @Rohie’s universe.

Zeus meeting Jupiter would be hilarious.

1 Like

Probably because Romans were more influential than the Greeks at a time when Christianity was just coming about, and really, the Romans took a lot from Greek culture, it would probably be hard to distingiush without any names to go by so people like to lump them together anyway.

I can also imagine a scene where Zeus and Jupiter and all the other gods see their equivalents for the first time, and then decide to mimic their movements for a good two minutes before someone screws up. “THEY’RE IMPOSTERS!”
(This is Back to the Present all over again…)

2 Likes

Nah, the nuances of their gods are different. Roman gods were much more militaristic, they were more about duty, honour, and self-sacrifice. Also the Romans rarely believed in divine intercession. The Greeks believed their gods would intervene for them, the Romans would rather do things themselves and only fall back on their gods if things were desperate enough.

Case and point, in the Roman Odyssey, Somnus struck down Ulysses helmsman for falling asleep on his job. He neglected his duty so he was punished. Greek gods tended to be a lot more capricious.

This is essentially in song, the Roman mentality.

1 Like

Let’s see. Dance with Aeson. Then Ask about trojan war. Ask about prince paris. Admit you in past life was in love with him. I think that’s it.

Sooo I did some aesthetics for cog. :smiley:

19 Likes