Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

I mean, I prefer to have Zeus as my MC’s father so I’m not super fussed. It just strikes me as appropriate that the source of all life in the universe’s first incarnation as a demigod would see them as the child of the literal king of the gods. Even if he is a terrible dad. I love Hades – but I see him more as a father-in-law figure, you know?

3 Likes

Plus, Hades already has an Essence son. And considering the Bearer and Saint have the same mom, and Saint’s dad is Zeus, and Rohie said Zeus saw Pricilla as his, I couldn’t see him being OK with one of his brothers having a baby with her.

6 Likes

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Priscilla’s journals!

7 Likes

Appropriate, schmopriate, Zeus probably has enough by blows running around that they can form pride parades and have annual conventions in Vegas.

Because of course the natural habitat of the Zeus demigod is where there is blackjack and hookers.

6 Likes

Mmmm. In earlier runs it’s implied that if Priscilla had the MC with any of the trinity (other than Zeus) it’s partially the reason why a lot dislike her (basically seen as a power grab because 2/3 are in her hands or seen that way at least)

And in that vein, Zeus can’t really do shit because of a prophesy and you know how they are with fate and destiny

Now since the rewrite, Zeus being the sole dad is totally fine imo. Whether the MC recognizes them as such is a different question

5 Likes

very sure the author is going to re-re-write that and include poseidon.

1 Like

As of now though no fish dad so can’t comment on what that means :stuck_out_tongue:

If ever, am sensing a love triangle with Priscilla actually and genuinely loving Poseidon. Given her journals and what Poseidon himself says about her prior to the overhaul at least

5 Likes

I still prefer Poseidon as a father over Zeus. That dude already has an inflated ego, if he fathers the literal essence of the universe, his ego would inflate so much not even Mount Olympus would be able to contain it.

At least Poseidon seemed like he respected us whereas Zeus probably just thinks of the MC as a pawn to be used in his cosmic game of chess.

11 Likes

Considering that Zeus can’t even fake any enthusiasm for forming a personal relationship, a demigod would have to be pretty hardup for affection to drink that kool aide.

Than again I am probably biased, my character looks at dear brother Saint and thinks to himself “Okay my mother slept with Zeus twice, maybe she was an alcoholic, untreated sex addict, or on mood altering medication.”

6 Likes

I mean, that’s definitely fair, but it’s almost certainly going to backfire on him.

I think in a way, it’s what Zeus deserves. He married Thetis off to a mortal king purely because he was terrified of the prophecy that stated that any child of hers would surpass their father. Who has a better chance at bringing his nightmare to life than an immortal bearer?

4 Likes

Hmmm I do like the idea of his child being the literal seed of his destruction. But the problem is to do that we have to turn against Olympus and that’s not something my Bearer would do.

4 Likes

Ouranos didn’t start out especially terrible, but then he cast Gaia’s children, the Cyclopes, into Tartarus. He was overthrown and killed by his son, Cronus. And so the Titans ruled for a while. But then he ate almost all of his children because he knew they would be more powerful than he ever was. And then he was overthrown and killed by his son, Zeus. I don’t think a coup is necessarily a betrayal of Olympus; I think that maybe every deity that has dominion over all has a limited amount of time before power corrupts them. Zeus certainly hasn’t always been the fairest of leaders.

5 Likes

There’s a bug when we can get the Eye of Alethiea.

Which imo is rather unfair considering that Priscilla has canonically stated that she doesn’t even like Zeus and thinks he’s a creep.

Her sleeping with him (as of now) has very dubious overtones and what not given that she probs had very little agency to refuse him

But since you’re so adamant about seeing her that way (shrug emoji)

4 Likes

Opinions do change. And she was doomed to fall in love with a god, according to the prior Great Prophet…

She was not doomed to fall in love. She was prophesized to birth the MC regardless of romantic affiliation

6 Likes

Did you read the January 16, 1991 journal entry?

Exact Entry in Question

The first thing she told me was that I was doomed to fall in love with a god, and destined to capture the hearts of two others. She told me that the consequences that followed would be devastating

Which still does not point to Zeus imo given the rest of the entries. Personally I think it’ll be Hades she falls for given what Persephone says about her in the prior version of the game

4 Likes

Since I’ve been sitting on this for over a month, I thought I’d get around to posting it:

Couldn't not bring up the Father thingy (Sorry if any of this comes off as whiny)
•My takeaway on Priscilla's journal entries (includes content found in the incomplete entry, minor SPOILERS ahead)
  1. Priscilla was a very interesting character. Would like to see/hear more of her in-game.

2. Love Priscilla and Hades’ relationship. It was the most genuine/heartfelt relationship Mother-dearest had with any god. Love how it wasn’t always smooth sailing. Volatile emotions and bitter words abound, but also vulnerability and the reaching out to one another. The way their relationship developed felt organic. Now shipping the two together–at least, as much as I can while ardently supporting the Power Couple (aka Persephone and Hades). Given the choice of who to have a child with, I could actually see Priscilla choosing Hades over Poseidon and Zeus. I am even more firmly planted in “Papa Hades is best Papa” camp.

3. Zeus is an entitled prick, or at least does an excellent job of playing the part. His interactions with Priscilla leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth; imo, he just comes off as someone incapable of taking ‘no’ for an answer. Reminds me too much of an unsavoury individual I’ve had the displeasure of being acquainted with. Wondering why in the world Priscilla felt “hesitant affection” for him in the end when she was described as being indifferent + disdainful towards him in 99% of their earlier interactions. Did a double-take when I read that. Relationship felt forced in the sense that Zeus got what he wanted in the end (i.e. Priscilla), even with Priscilla refusing him. Kinda makes me uncomfortable. Don’t like him being near her, and definitely do NOT want him as MC’s father. At all. However, if I’m forced to play a Zeus!Bearer (because of my choice to kill Saxon), they will refuse to acknowledge Zeus as a father, choosing to refer to him as ‘The Sperm Donor’ instead. Hope that’s an option if that’s the case. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to it. Truthfully, I’d rather be the child of a potato.

4. Poseidon had a tendency to just float around before disappearing into the background. Didn’t feel very important. Still, he’s better than Zeus by virtue of not being Zeus. The necklace thingy was sweet. Will take Fish Daddy over Thunder Cock Zeus any day. But he will always be second to Hades for me.

•Finding out Hades would no longer be a father option killed about 90% of my excitement over the update tbh. Hades was the most unique and interesting dad option imo and I believe a lot of potential drama and angst will be lost with this change, alongside replayability. (Was looking forward to bonding with step-mom!Persephone! Meeting Nyx! Summoning zombies and scaring the crap out of everyone! Unofficially Adopting Cerberus! Alas.) Please excuse me while I go throw away my headcanons

•Not looking forward to the child-of-nobility/royalty drama a Zeus!MC will have to put up with. Is it because of my bias against Zeus? Possibly. I would mostly attribute this to fatigue though, because there are a lot of movies/books/games and several wips that utilize this kind of drama. I don’t want to say it’s overused, but it sort of is. It also doesn’t help that I have no interest in dealing with Hera’s crap.

•Gosh, this is even affecting how I feel about Aeson. I’ve never been jealous of Aeson before, but his role as the sole child of my favourite god kind of changes that. He’s even more of a ‘special snowflake’ now. And yes, I know this is a petty reason to dislike Aeson, but I can’t help it.

This is a pretty winded way of asking to have Papa!Hades reinstated. But if there’s the slightest chance this could happen, I will definitely jump on it. So, if there’s a possibility of Hades becoming a father option again, would you please consider adding it, @Rohie? It would make my year.

Summoning

•Will MC still be granted immortality if they don’t request it? Or will the gods casually withhold it until MC’s death is upon them? Speaking of requests, I’m hoping some of them will be optional. My MC has no interest in getting involved with the gods any more than necessary (so he wouldn’t request a place in the Council) nor does he wish to resurrect his bf if he is truly dead. Forcing the bf to become undead for the sake of having him around sounds cruel.

•Hades doesn’t appear to react if MC defends him from Ares. Maybe a reaction and/or relationship boost could be included? (And vary depending on how the MC responded specifically i.e. whether they just stepped in or decided to smack Ares in the face with the Essence)

•Perhaps more personality variations in MC’s responses could be added? They would be a great opportunity to shape the MC and the gods’ view of them.

E.g. the gods would respond well to an earnest MC vs a rude one, or they could feel uneasy around a stoic, unreadable MC

This could be taken a step further with variables tracking how MC responds to specific gods, which would impact future interactions with them.

E.g. MC is rude or sarcastic towards Hera, which is tracked, and Hera treats MC with even more hostility afterwards (*if sasshera=true, *set herahatesmc true). Being open and kind to Hades and cold to the rest of the Council garners comments about the difference in MC’s demeanour when they’re dealing with family vs strangers, and encourages Hades to spend time with MC; alternately, being cold to both Hades and the Council will convince them that Hades’ efforts to bond with MC was pointless. Etc.

Each of MC’s responses could increase or decrease their relationship with the Council and the sum of those changes could be used as the Council’s base relationship.

Of course, this can get crazy complicated depending on the number of reactions and people tracked, but I think this would be a very good way to set the tone between MC and the gods, and I would love to see something like this implemented even on a small scale

•While we’re on the topic, maybe the MC could have another chance to determine how they feel about the gods. Their initial opinion was formed prior to actually meeting them, and their opinions may vastly differ after the summoning.

Misc

•It’s stated that MC and Athena moved to Phoenix after Hades’ disappearance. I’m curious, where did they live before?

•I enjoy the new training cutscene with Athena, and I would certainly enjoy another one where we get to bond with ‘Uncle Henry’ (Big surprise :stuck_out_tongue:). However, the frequent jumps between past and present, especially in chapter 1, are a bit jarring and slow the pace of the story.

•I was surprised Saint was revealed to be MC’s brother so quickly. I thought it would occur at a later time in a more dramatic fashion. If Saint knows who his mother is, why is his surname Augustine? Unless that’s not his surname? Does he go by Saint Augustine Angelis now?

•Wilma was mentioned when Saint brought up MC’s brief. Since the entire winterinterlude was pulled from the current update, new players wouldn’t know who Wilma was unless they looked at the code.

•No option to ask about Hestia when asking Saint for more info on the Council

•An option to choose the MC’s reaction to killing Saxon? My canon MC isn’t a stranger to death or murder, and wouldn’t have had any trouble killing the Seeker (an enemy in his eyes). The MC’s reaction could have an impact on how others perceive them when they inevitably end up in court.

•I’m interested to see how the romance with Apollo will go. So much potential drama and awkwardness. And Helen is an endgame option? Sweet. I’m personally hoping that the childhood friend/so will also be romanceable, come endgame.

Bugs

•Impossible to proceed unless MC chooses to make a speech during their debut

•Skipping the prologue and choosing to have black eyes is buggy, with “unspecified” used as a placeholder.

•Sawyer is referred to as bfname

3 Likes

I personally dislike Zeus but other than forcing Priscilla to come to Mount Olympus I can’t really think of anything he has done wrong. As a leader I mean.

What makes you believe he is an unfit ruler?