Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

You seem to have this odd fascination with him killing you and being better to spite you, even when Rohie said he values others more than himself.

Well it’d save mama Grendel at the least.

5 Likes

Hehehehehehehe I see what you did there. The Bearer has to ‘bear with it’. That’s comedy gold right there.

1 Like

As a Spanish person right here…yep, I would not like to see it in this context where is one of our past lives.
We must talk about these topics even if they are uncomfortable or horrible so we don’t forget what was done and what we did (as Spanish, I mean, at least personally), but it has to be from a place of criticism (for colonialists) and respect (for those affected) and not fiction, because the things that happened to these people (and still happen) were/are very much real, painfull, irreversible, and deserve as much consideration, not just angst or plot for fiction.

(If I said something incorrect or offensive or I talked over, please do tell me.)

10 Likes

Perhaps we’ll have to deal with Vlad Dracul?

Small update: I’ll be sending out the beta draft to my testers tomorrow, if all goes well!

28 Likes

Yes, it was all terribly sanguine, then that goes for most of pre-modern history and we are living in an unusually peaceful time right now.
That said, ancient China always appeals to me (though with the bearer’s rotten luck they’d probably be a eunuch or something). There’s also ancient Russia and its colourful mythology, I mean I’d like to see “auntie” Athena moonlighting as Baba Yaga, eh? :sweat_smile:

That said had the Aztecs somehow managed to win, well their own history shows what they would have been bloody capable of doing.
While colonialism of course inflicted more than its share of horrors what killed more native South Americans initially were imported diseases.

2 Likes

Persephone is my bae… Has always been my favourite Goddess ;_;

1 Like

@idonotlikeusernames

Ancient Russia and its mythology sounds great!

1 Like

That reminds me, am I the only one who wants to have their MC claim to practice a different religion just to annoy someone on Mt Olympus?

I figure Hermes is up on his pop culture so I figure he’d get the joke if one mentioned worshipping the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorn, or dread Cthulhu.

8 Likes

Or better yet, proclaim we worship the roman gods.

My MC would totally pray for Mars’ help right in front of Ares :joy: .

18 Likes

They might be the Roman gods though.

Probably better to go with gods a little farther from the greco-roman tradition.

Like Norse, Egyptian, or Celtic.

So tell Ares you like Thor better.

6 Likes

How about an mc from a monotheistic religion to refuses to acknowledge the pantheon as valid gods? That is bound to be interesting.

5 Likes

I reckon they are. The Romans were so prideful they just had to name them differently in their own language. I don’t think the Greek Gods took kindly to that. Almost a millennia of been called the wrong name must be annoying, to say the least.

Though sacrificing a lamb to Montu in front of Ares must be as equally entertaining :thinking: .

1 Like

All the way at post 2329 (I feel a little weird quoting from that far in the past) says that there are other gods from other pantheons (though Rohie is focusing mainly on Greek mythology). So, that sort of takes the wind out of a potential MC’s sails if they tried to do that. Though, they could always compare a god against another.

I mean, there’s an MC that grew up around such a religion (had friends of such a faith, for example) and, for all we know, might have a morality system closer to that. There’s hatred of the gods (which, given the circumstances, is understandable) But, when you can perform the supernatural and have things that are supposed to be mythological as part of ones’ daily life, the best you could argue is that the gods usurped their roles from the Supreme Being. All things considered, though, they’d be wise to keep silent about that if they value existence as they comprehend it.

1 Like

Rick Riordan wrote a monotheistic character in his Norse trilogy. I believe her reasoning was that the Gods weren’t gods, but rather power beings akin to angels who were created by her god.

1 Like

Why not mention worshiping the modern gods of Monty Python and the modern heroes such as the Princess Bride and the Black Knight? :joy:

1 Like

Well the mc is a 'murican kid, depending on where both auntie Athena and and the values of the mc’s previous private school fell, I suppose it’s possible they (used to) pray to a proper right-wing god. Though given how gay my mc is that would be awkward to say the least.

That would definitely be interesting! Especially the Norse mythology!

I love all of you guys’ ideas. I especially support the idea of the flashback(s) giving a nod to a culture or a part of history that is underrepresented.

But to be completely honest I would be content with anything @Rohie thinks would fit well into the Essenverse and would be a good way to propel the rest of the plotlines forward. :smile:

4 Likes

Well, looks like we now know why Athena laughs when she learns about the Bearer taking a liking to Calypso:

Her dark sense of humor. :sweat_smile:

1 Like