Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

I don’t know that ‘vindictive’ trait of her makes me wonder things. :sweat_smile: And the fact she is secretive kind of makes me wonder how difficult it might have some communication issues of her own when it comes to certain matters.

I honestly think that a lot of people are sort of expecting the Bearer and Bestower to be a item at some point. Which I imagine could lead to a little bit of friction with insecurity with some of ROs (especially if the Bearer does share a close bond with Aeson, who many call the Bearer ‘other half’).

One of the many possible things that Bearer is going to have to worry about when interest in Donny. I’d also add in Aphrodite’s whims and the frustrated fans of Donny who he has yet to go out with in that list of dangers too (can’t imagine many happy people when Donny begins to flirt with others less and less due to the Bearer’s influence). :sweat_smile:

It will be interesting to see Saint being a little protective about the idea of Santiago being interested in the Bearer. He may really like Santiago as a friend, but there is always that chance that he’s not as keen of Santiago taking a liking to his brother/sister/sibling due to knowing how he usually is about relationships.

The Ares thing is something I’ve always wondered about. In the old demo, Calypso had claimed that Ares didn’t hate the Bearer, but we have yet to know if that idea still stands in the new version (or even if Calypso was right or not). But I imagine that out of all the ROs that the Bearer can get with, it will be Calypso that causes Saint to make the most remarks about the relationship.

The Hermes situation is just as interesting; he was one of the Gods who is apparently willing to let the Bearer be one of the Hero Candidates. But the new demo does seem to confirm that he’s got a few suspicions that the Bearer had killed one of his children. So I don’t know what game he’s playing. Although I think that when it comes to the matter of interest, Hermes will probably let Sage make the end call on the situation. Though considering how protective Saint can get of people he cares about, I think he’d be pretty wary about the idea of Sage’s interest being genuine.

Summed it up pretty perfectly :sweat_smile:. I can already see Saint watching Apollo warily if he learned that Apollo was going out of his way to interact with the Bearer for some unknown reason.

5 Likes

Which is true. But I’m going to assume that Saint doesn’t know that so he’ll be in for quite a doozy :)) I feel he’ll have to do a double take when he finds out about Avery’s shit list

Saint: Avery, the nice healer, has a shit list? //sudden fear

I’m on the fence for that. On one hand I can totes see the shippers for this calling for it to happen, but then since the Bearer still has to earn Olympus’ trust and what not, I see also a lot of flack coming their way if they get a certain disapproval rating.

[And ofc there will always be the fans that ship themselves with Baeson so the MC is going to have to wrestle with that]

Totally agree on the RO’s reacting and the speculation of the Bearer and Bestower dating though

1 Like

The real question here is how Hades is going to feel about Aeson, his son, and the MC, a child he (somewhat) helped raise and has seen grown, entering a romantic relationship with him (Aeson).

9 Likes

I was actually wondering about that since I found out Aeson was one of the RO’s. For myself, I’m more interested into seeing Ares’ reaction when he finds out I’m going out with Calypso. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Meh. I don’t think he’ll react very strongly. I agree with @Okami-Nora that it is sort of expected for the Bearer and the Bestower to become an item among some of Olympus citizens. So I’m sure Hades is well aware of the possibility.

And about the odd family ties… well, the gods seem to have quite a different view of what family is and what boundaries can be crossed. If Hera can live surrounded by her husband’s bastards I’m sure Hades can adjust to seeing his son and the child he “helped” raise, together. I think it would be strange tho if Hades were still a father option and he was both Aeson and the MC’s father. Now that’s weird territory for me :grimacing:

Actually, in this new update, I sort of got a different vibe from Avery. She’s still friendly and sweet sure but there were quieter moments where she looked… wary? Not dangerous, but definitely not the innocent naive girl I had taken her for before. She definitely has more going on, or at least that’s the impression I got.

Oh man, now that will be hilarious! :joy:

3 Likes

Since the gods provide no genetic material to a demigod, the divine parent doesn’t count for the incest taboo on Olympus.

So even if the MC had been a child of Hades no one would have said boo about them romancing Aeson.

Of course, the MC wasn’t raised on Olympus, so realistically, the MC ought to form their own opinion on the matter, ranging from “Oh, that makes sense” to “You freaks are more twisted than the family from Deliverance.”. In the latter case Avery would be the only viable RO, though.

9 Likes

I always thought in writing, where demigods were concerned, the consensus romancing a demigod who didn’t share your divine parent was OK, because no genetics, but two demigods of the same parentage was a no-no. Because they have to give you something — there’s no way a mortal parent can provide both sets of genes. I thought of as like getting blank genes, so the mortal parent’s took dominance. But, obviously, I don’t know @Rohie has planned.

1 Like

That’s true but I was thinking more in Hades’ point of view. If he was the Bearer’s father, even without the whole sharing genetics thing, it must be weird as hell to have your two “children” dating each other. Both of each you’ve been slighty involved in raising.

For the whole of Olympus it would be fine tho, I’m sure.

1 Like

Hades being drilling his brother’s daughter. I don’t think here cares much for that topic

3 Likes

That… is a great point :no_mouth:. I take back all I’ve said.

Married to his brother and sister’s child.

Although that reminds me that’s something I’d want to be able to ask Aunt Alice if she and Uncle Henry had been participating in the ancient sport of greco-Roman wrestling.

And if they are still participating.

7 Likes

Oh, sweet baby Heracles. This is something I’ve wanted to ask Auntie and Uncle for some time now…

And if so, poor Persephone… ;-;

1 Like

I’d love to ask that question!

To be fair we don’t know what kind of relationship Hades and his wife have.

After thousands of years together they might have hit the “What doesn’t happen in Hades stays out of Hades” phase of the relationship.

I would imagine it to be somewhat frosty since the myth says that Hades tricked his wife into staying in the Underworld for several months at the most by having her eat a certain number of pomegranate seeds if I remember right. It’s been a while since I read the Greek mythology but if Hades has been truly a good person all of the time and was loving like he is in the story then well, they might have a good relationship.

2 Likes

“As we’ve explained,” Zeus continues. “Human bodies cannot handle the power of the Essence. So, we are willing to offer your an immortal body, one that can withstand the Essence as its soul.”

you

1 Like

Myths, being stories, often contradict.

The two big ones I’m aware of-

1 Persephone was kidnapped and basically Zeus married her to her rapist for all eternity. Hopefully not the one used here.

2 there was no kidnapping, Demeter is just a crazy overprotective mamma bear who can’t accept that her baby girl is old enough to leave the nest.

It doesn’t help that historically the difference between marriage and forced kidnapping hasn’t always been as clear cut as one would like.

4 Likes

I do have to agree that there were myths that does contradict each other but the myth that I had to read in high school world history implies that Hades kidnapped his wife, Demeter got angry and told Zeus to do something about it, Zeus didn’t really care much so Demeter turned the world into a cold place where mortals couldn’t grow food or catch fish until Zeus had enough of her actions but Hades loved his wife so much that he tricked her into eating the pomegranate seeds so she would had been forced to stay in the Underworld for months at the most and she would go back when the months were up, repeating the situation forever. Now when I think of it, I personally think these two myths you mentioned was lumped together to explain the climate changes during my classes. Maybe the myth I had to read wasn’t really the myth that was told in Ancient Greece as you listed two different perspectives of it.

1 Like

@stsword is correct. The additional other considerations as to why Persephone x Hades was considered a happy marriage was that:

• Persephone has few myths and images that actually connect her to her mother. She’s often depicted by Hades’ side and they literally rule the underworld jointly (like she can actually bend/get Hades to bend certain rules for her just because) – her name literally comes from the word ‘to bring death’ (so the link between her and her husband is actually very there thematically)

• Hades is loyal af. The only exception is that Minthe story and even then it’s not very clear if Persephone had a jealous streak or if she wanted to protect Minthe from her mother. Anyway, in the world where Zeus’ infidelities are not news and Poseidon is equally as…free with his passions, this stands out a lot

I can think of a few more but that’s going to be a very long post

9 Likes

You seem to be working on some big assumptions here.

Myths aren’t one collection of work. They are stories, in this case stories told by countless people over a period of time that spans over 900 years.

Why would you expect them to not contradict? No force stopped people from changing the stories whenever they wanted.

Myths were basically the equivalent of fan fiction spread over the internet by random people.

Take Orion the hunter. Who his father was varies. How he dies varies. Whether he was a giant taller than the ocean or capable of walking on water varies.