Children of the Gods (Important poll #12306)

It would be the ultimate act of rebelliousness… I need it.

7 Likes

I just really like found families more than just blood relations :)) relatively mundane in comparison in terms of reasoning

Like when prompted by either/both Hades and Athena as to why they pledged themselves to them, MC is just “you are my family”

//clutches heart

11 Likes

I agree; Hades and Athena are much more Nyx’s family than the rest of Olympus. I don’t even consider the other gods as her family since… well, most of them want her dead or indentured to them. Plus uncle Henry and aunt Alice raised her while the rest of them were basically “eh, whatever. We’ll need the bearer later but let her fend for herself.” It’s the main reason why (for now, because of Percy Jackson Syndrome) I choose to spit in Poseidon’s bowl.

If we had the option to make the sacrifice for Hades or Athena then I would, but as of yet no thank you.

4 Likes

Something I’ve been meaning to answer (even had a lot of it saved on my laptop), but haven’t gotten around to for a while. A bit long, though.

[quote=“Rohie, post:10231, topic:15482, full:true”]
First: In the third chapter, when meeting the pantheon for your summoning, what responses would you like to have? I edited that scene a few months ago to include a wider range of reactions, but it still feels incredibly…lacking, if I’m being honest. I want this moment to powerfully represent how your MC will go about their attitude toward the gods.[/quote]

[details=TL;DR: he’s disappointed in them, but would also like to regain his trust in the gods.]Starting after the disappearance of Athena/Aunt Alice, my MC eventually lost trust in the gods, believing them to be the ones who kidnapped or killed her and sent the Seekers to attack him. In response, he’s come to hate them. As far as Evander is concerned, they’ve done little more than give him grief (to day nothing about their mistreatment of the human race). By the time that arrives at the Summoning, however, his emotions are more conflicted. Assuming we’ll still have a chance to see them give the apology as we have it right now, my MC feels that, at the very least, the gods are acknowledging that it happened and are willing to humble themselves in this way (or at least giving the appearance of doing so).
As I and others have expressed before, bringing up that there appears to be a lack of oversight concerning the Seekers would probably be an immediate concern. Once Evander arrives on Olympus (including coming to terms that it’s all real) there is still an overarching sense of betrayal combined with a sense that they’re “home”. In his mind, ultimately, they are of Olympus, and the gods are, in some way, their family. But the gods have let him down, especially in light of the fact that the Essence exists and all of the implications thereof (and doubly so if they expect him to be used as a weapon against Cronus). Their apology does not negate their dereliction of duty, and they’ve got a lot to make up for it.
But he’s also willing to meet them halfway. He knows that he’s next to clueless about the Trials–something that also contributes to his opinion towards the Gods (would it have been so wrong for Hermes to have sent him their equivalent of a Hogwarts letter?)–, to say nothing of the culture shock he’s experiencing at Olympus. But he’s not about to betray the gods at this moment. At the very least, based on the importance of it all, he’s willing to give the Trials a shot. After that… I could see him wanting something on his own terms, such as dealing with strategy instead of picking up a sword (…well, I think he’d be more willing to be an archer or a sniper for long-distance attacks).
[/details]

[quote]What question would you ask before agreeing, if any?[/quote] [details=TL;DR: “Why should I believe that I won’t be let down again?” and a weird plot bunny]They’d probably ask, “Why should I believe that I won’t be let down again?” or some variation of that. Again, the gods are on thin ice. The MCs will place their trust in the gods again, but only if they prove themselves. The gods may be more powerful that the MC, but power does not automatically equate respect.
Actually, I don’t know if this is possible (or even if this is simply not how the Essence works–I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s the case), but an idea that I have is that, in another way, the Essence is leaking in this moment. Not through power–as in blasting a door open–but as thought. The Essence is looking at its’ descendants and is finding them lacking. In the same way that Odin from the Marvel Cinematic Universe felt that Thor was unworthy of Mjolnir in the first movie, so would the Essence feel that the gods (or at least too many of them) are unworthy of their power and authority. Or at least something of a vague concept is there and the MC is unconsciously refining it into a more coherent thought.[/details]

[quote]What would you want to say in order to defend yourself against Ares, Hera, Hestia, Hephaestus, and Aphrodite’s distrust against you?[/quote] [details=TL;DR: Ares needs to grow up, Hera needs a therapist, Aphrodite needs to learn that MCs have feelings too, and the rest are a toss-up.]Quite bluntly, Ares should just suck it up and move on. He’s just as culpable in the creation of the MCs as Zeus and the rest. If he has an actual issue, he can either act like an adult and spit it out or go pout in the corner until he matures and can deal with it. And, really, both of my MCs are probably more mature-acting than he is.
I can almost understand why Hera would have the attitude that she has (…to put it politely). She can also suck it up and deal with it. Again, my MCs aren’t even children of Zeus (aside from one playthrough, just to know what it felt like), so their attitude would be one of, “Uh, no… Zeus isn’t my father… So, um, could you lay off the bitterness and hate? It’s not helping things out here.”. On the other hand, I can’t see either of my MCs being too big of a fan of Zeus not using a condom whenever he visits Earth (again, this could be an instance of channeling unconscious emotions).
I have no idea what Hestia’s problem is, and neither do my MCs. An explanation would be useful. Hephaestus is probably bored/apathetic. Aphrodite’s got answered after the dance, but the MC would like to have a chance to ask her to show some empathy.[/details]

[quote]What would you bargain with in order to assure your assistance besides immortality? Power, freedom, wealth, the gods’ downfall?[/quote] [details=Freedom, in more ways than one.]They’d like to have as much of a normal life as possible. In an earlier post, I said something about being a researcher. But, really, above anything they’d love to have an iron-clad guarantee that the gods won’t betray them or hurt them in any way. They don’t care about power aside from what I’ve already mentioned, can live with a modest amount of wealth (something comfortable, but nothing too materialistic), and can live with the gods being around another million years or so.
For that matter, some sort of guarantee that they’ll have something close to a modern western-style form of trial concerning Saxon and any of the other Seekers would be extremely helpful in insuring the MC’s cooperation. Some form of legal counsel, ability to present evidence proving their innocence, and a neutral arbiter would be acceptable. And Sage can’t really complain about justice not being served.[/details]

[quote]Second: During the ceremony scene, the ability to initiate romances has been cut out due to pacing reasons; now the romances begin later in the game. A few thousand posts back many of you commented on how the MC seems more like an interviewer than a person with mere curiosity; what questions would you like to ask individual RO’s (including Santiago who in the earlier draft didn’t allow questions to be answered, Sage, an uninterested Psyche). Home life, beliefs/values, opinion of the MC?[/quote] As of right now, we can ask those sorts of questions to Avery. Maybe not in one go–at some point, discuss each others’ home life, compare beliefs and values, and an honest evaluation of their opinion of the MC. I’d prefer for it to be in different scenes so it’s not all in one chunk. And, of course, opinion of the Hero Trials and even the gods (connected to beliefs and values).

[quote]Third: What questions would you have for your father? The earlier drafts answers were vague placeholders at best. What would you want to know about Priscilla? Whether your father truly cared? His opinion on Athena kidnapping you?[/quote][details=TL;DR: Keep most of it as is, but maybe bring up the issue of Athena.]My MCs would probably view anything about Priscilla as trivial. She may have been the one who birthed them, but Athena was more their mom than anyone else, even with the fact that she kidnapped them. She changed their diapers, taught them how to read and write, was there for every skinned knee and bruise, helped them when their powers first manifested, and all the rest. As for the questions themselves, I’d probably keep what’s already there, though the opinion about Athena kidnapping them would also be valid. Of course, this is some advanced level of Stockholm Syndrome that’s involved, and my MCs are more than aware of this (at least in my headcanon). Still, neither of them are about to throw away one of the few actual familial bonds that they have over an issue like this, especially with what’s coming.
(As an aside… personally, there’s a reason I only did a run-through with Zeus as a father once. Whatever issues Nyx might have as being the daughter of Hades, at least he was actually there in her life. And, while Poseidon had to keep his secret, at least there doesn’t seem to be quite the problem of egotism, which is helpful for Evander.)[/details]

[quote]Fourth: Major spoiler regarding the first trial. click at your own discretion. (snip)[/quote]Accumulation of choices. While random occurrences would make things more dynamic–and, considering the setting, more like fate than based on personal choice–it might cheapen the ending in that it makes our choices more meaningless. Besides, that’ll probably less coding to have to worry about.

[quote]Fifth: There is a minor interlude between the 9th chapter and the first chapter of Part Two of the game, in which the MC is warranted free time. Besides spending time with potential RO’s, what other activities would you like to be available? Studying, sightseeing, training, spending time with your godly parent/Athena, etc?[/quote][details=Yes to as much as you can, although weighted (if it buffs up stats, have it dependent on the order of your choices) and can only choose a limited amount.]All of the above? Maybe sort of a choice of three–a combination of either studying (school stuff, knowledge of Olympus, and some additional background stuff for later in Part 2), sightseeing, training, or spending time. Probably dependent on previous choices. I know for some CoG games, it feels as though there’s a case where, for example, you were given a choice between 1-4 (or something along that line) for different attributes and how it related to how much effort you put into a certain task. So, for example, putting a lot of time into studying boosts intelligence a certain amount, training increases strength, and stuff like that.
Now, if it’s not going to be added to the rest of Part 1, I’d like to know more about what Cronus, or any other antagonist-like being, might have been up to before the beginning of the game as a sort of “Why We Fight” kind of thing.[/details]

6 Likes

Is the bug fixed? sorry to ask if it’s not but I haven’t been on this forum for a while.

Nay.

And the waiting game continues :))

Given the size of the update – or my presumed idea of what the scope and extent of the update is – personal bet is we’ll probs see it maybe in the --ber months

1 Like

It’d be the perfect birthday present if it came out in October for me, hahah

We can only speculate :)) and I’m running on personal headcanons just to starve off the waiting anxiety and hype

4 Likes

So the bug you get where Poseidon your dad no matter what has it been patched

I don’t think so, but you wouldn’t even be able to get that far due to the bug that stops you right after meeting Avery. We just gotta be patient until it’s resolved

2 Likes

In the meantime, personal headcanon is that Hades gives the best hugs :stuck_out_tongue: Poseidon gives awkward pats until (if ever) MC and him become close and then it’s full on bear hugs, and Zeus sends “you did good” cards – but we all know if Olympus has a secretary, he just asks them to send it for him

(Aka musing thoughts while waiting)

15 Likes

I feel like if it was our birthday, Poseidon would send us a pony.

3 Likes

Most definitely. And Hades better give us a puppy or my MC will be sorely disappointed

6 Likes

So he’d send us a seahorse?

9 Likes

And we will name that seahorse Blackjack!

10 Likes

I hope it would bring with it the same amount of sass as well

And if we get a pegasus we must name it Rainbow

2 Likes

Lady Rainicorn it is!!

6 Likes

Cue themesong

If You've Played Rainbow Unicorn Dash You Know The Link

https://youtu.be/lWqJTKdznaM

3 Likes