Checkpoints?

@_jl My guess would be a true/false check at the checkpoints.

@Samuel_H_Young Yes although I imagine it could be an old link or old files. I was playing from the very first link in the OP I believe.

Ah that’s really interesting. I imagine it’s quite difficult to write and code for two different paradigm shifts though.

This is exactly my feeling on the matter. I appreciate the necessity to go back certain times, perhaps for replayability purposes? In the main though, I feel it really makes the interaction encroach on the story, rather than work alongside it.

It’s quite funny if you do get the chance!

@fantom Yes. Probably right at the beginning, you’d specify whether you want easy mode on or off, and then use that boolean value with an if statement for each checkpoint.

@_jl
Yeah it must have been. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised if you read the finished work, because the initial demo is about a tenth of the quality as the soon-to-be-published version is:P

It’s mainly to fit for different personality types. I give the reader an option of the main reason why they’re a demon hunter/huntress. Is it because
1.) You hate evil beings and want to eradicate them
2.) You enjoy the gold that comes from the career
3.) You want to protect the innocent and make the world a better place.

I think the best way to get a different version of the story is for the reader to go back and play it again, instead of choosing “go back” for every choice box, and eventually picking the option that he/she deems best. That takes all the fun out of it.

@fantom and @_jl
Initially, I debated on whether or not to allow readers to choose either a hard, intermediate or easy mode, but I think it’d take the challenge out of it if the reader chose intermediate or easy. A challenging story makes the reader feel as though he/she has truly earned the desirable ending, as opposed to having it given to him/her.

@_jl
Woops! It looks like all the old links work. I need to fix that xD since it’s gonna be published, I don’t want people to be able to read it from a link.

I have another reason
4) its fun killing stuff

@PORT3R
I didn’t know you could kill inanimate objects xD

@Havenstone

Thank you

@Samuel_H_Young I really do look forward to giving it a go when it it is published! If you do want to prevent people from reading the current content, perhaps you could have a placeholder instead? I think @Havenstone employs this technique in Choice of Rebels so perhaps you could ask.

As for personality types, I strongly recommend you take a look at D&D Character Alignment sheets. I wrote about it here if you’d like to take a look. They’re very useful to keep in mind, I think, when offering players options.

I’m unsure as to whether this should be done. My instinct would be to do the same too although you take the risk of having people getting annoyed they don’t have complete freedom and choice in the game. If your game works upon not having checkpoints and forcing players to make tough, binding decisions, then go for it all the way I say!

@Harian Apologies. I appear to be hijacking this thread and taking it off course somewhat. I am happy to refrain and move the discussion to another thread if you wish? :slight_smile:

@_jl
I have no use for the links, now:P

I’ll take a look!

There are a lot of tough decisions. However, checkpoint systems only take you back if you die.

@_jl

I don’t really mind, in any case I’m learning more about creating good games.

Some of my favorite acheivements were: (have them all saved in notes)
//
You slink up to the drummer. After a brief moment, you sink your teeth into his wrist. You close your eyes as your heart spurts to life. You feel Estefania pressing her body up against yours, and within a few moments, your two hearts beat as one.

You open your eyes, and find Estefania gazing at you lustily. Breaking the seal between your lips and the drummer’s wrist, you reach for her. Your lips meet, slickened by blood. The two of you kiss passionately, hungrily, pressing against each other, trying to seize as much of the moment as possible while your two hearts gradually slow, no longer quickened by the lifeforce of the dying musician. As the kiss continues, you do your best to push the thought of the fading warmth from your mind. You claw at each other, desperate, as though by pressing yourselves close, the cold of the grave will not return.

he hunt is short. The blood is sweet. The sudden flood of blood over your lips pushes your heart into motion, and before long you are staring deeply into Jesse’s eyes. Driven by the sympathy of your heartbeats, you push yourself up and cross the line of the body that separates you, pressing your bloody lips to Jesse’s. At first he bares his fangs, a wolf defending his kill, but within a few moments you are wrapped in each others’ arms; the corpse slowly cools between you, now merely an obstruction to the press of your bodies.

I have proven myself that you can be any descriptions of any background and (if you make the same choices) still get to these points.
\\
But my favorite scene was with Jessie bellow XD
//
“That Malloy woman has been sucking at the teat of Stone for the past several decades. Obviously, she would advance his agenda in the Senate.”

“Clearly.”

“Pickering, on the other hand, is an instrument of his domina, an antiquated bitch if ever I had the pleasure of meeting one.”

“Jesse!”

“I only speak the truth,” he says with a scowl. Thankfully, Mr. Pickering is occupied with cajoling the Puritan woman at the moment. “And, believe me, Isabella Quintaña is that and more.”

“Not everyone always wants to hear the truth.”

What about this; If you die too early, you have the choice to go back to a established checkpoint (which the PC didn’t know existed) or you can win an achievement for dying in a dumb way (of course, since the game I have planned isn’t too fighting-focused, I don’t have many ways for the PC to die early, so I don’t really need a stupid amount of achievements)

I was thinking about this since even if you don’t die early too early on the game I have planned, you still die more than half-way into the story, which… may be a bore to replay just because a plotwist caught you by surprise. You still kind-of have a penalty for reloading (If you’re a completionist) so I think it kind of balances the whole thing out nicely.

Thoughts?

• I wouldn’t mind it in a game
  • I wouldn’t like it
  • I wouldn’t like it but I wouldn’t mind it

0 voters