Character-driven vs. story-driven

I’m sorry, but how does NPCs having their own agency mean that the MC is a blank slate?

NPCs having agency isn’t necessarily connected to the MC being a blank slate, but they go hand and hand. The main character is a blank slate because their interior world–the amorphous goop within that makes them, them–is not set in stone. They don’t even have a specific name! Some games allow a choice of backstory, but that affects stats, not plot, and doesn’t necessarily inform the MC’s actions moving forward. As the game progresses, the MC is forever reacting to obstacles thrust upon them. They’re not seeking out obstacles, or creating obstacles. They’re not pursuing an interior desire to change themselves. They’re stuck in a situation that demands a reaction.

2 Likes

Ahhh, I see. The statement about the opera got me confused.

1 Like

Ah, right, the MC, to me, I’m simple, a story when it’s MC is a blank slate, their actions were forced by the plot, it’s driven by plot; a story when it’s MC has a past, a backstory, their actions affects the plot, it’s driven by character.

But also,

Plot plot plot lines of plot, action action action lines of action

In that blink second, you catch Charlie’s eyes, somehow you know he has the same feelings as you, and that makes you can’t help but smile at him.

Plot plot plot lines of plot, action action action lines of action

It’s plot-driven.

Plot plot

You just realized by now, you never think of Nicolas that way, for all these times, you just take his generous by granted, you receive, you take, you thought you would break out a smile whenever he came over is out of polite, not something akin to affection. But this time when he catches you, you can’t ingore the way your cheeks heating anymore, you even forget how to blink, how to breathe, how to…

“You alright?” You hear him asking, his hand is still on your back to keep you straight, you blink, tear yourself away from him, faster than you intended, and, yeah, that fleeting little disappointed expression as his hand loses you isn’t your imagination, you know, as you always do, he sure does, has a crush on you.

Plot plot

It’s character-driven.

I don’t know what I’m doing here, I’ll see myself out.

2 Likes

You’re doing amazing, no worries :joy:

1 Like

I’m on the story-driven side of things…my favorite Choice game was Rebels, which sits very far to the “story” end of the character-story spectrum.

Personally, I prefer a balance of character and plot focus in media, whether that’s movies, tv, novels, or IF. I like a plot that feels engaging and makes sense, but I don’t want to feel like the characters are being forced into unnatural situations and behaviors in order to serve the plot. I like characters that feel real and honest (to whatever degree is possible, especially in speculative fiction), but I don’t want to feel like the plot is just a loose way to chain together scenes and events for those characters. To me, writing a story is like weaving a complex tapestry of both plot development and character development. It’s not easy to write a story that evenly balances both of those aspects, but a story that does is always much more pleasing to read.

3 Likes