Character Creation Help

Hi, I’m making a game that has 3 main characters one of which is the “seeker” a witch/crystal ball viewer lady it seemed cool at first but now it seems pretty lame, I was wondering what I could do to make this character better. Also feel free to put other characters you think would be really awesome but have never seen before in a COG.

@Antonie_Tiger With the “witch/crystal ball viewer lady” what if she doesn’t always need the the crystal ball to view the future (I’m assuming this is the purpose in your story)? Like what if she has the ability to see future events normally, but her visions aren’t usually very clear, and the crystal ball somehow helps her focus her ability? Might make for interesting game play if they have an inkling how things might turn out.

@Antonio_Tiger I’ve found it’s not inherently about the actions of the character but the character themselves that perpetuate the level of like one has for a character. For example, in Jack London’s *The Call of the Wild* [SPOILER ALERT] Spitz enjoys the death of Curly, and people dislike Spitz for this; however, when Buck kills Spitz and “finds it good” no one really has a problem with this. [END OF SPOILER] I suspect this is because Spitz is perpetuate as much more cruel than Buck. I imagine that if Spitz had been portrayed as a kind character, what happened to him would have garnished a great deal more sympathy.

Now that I’ve explained why people dis/like characters, I can move on to how I find people find characters interesting. Almost always, the paragon character–the most virtuous one–is not the favorite. A quick Google of *A Game of Thrones* reveals that people like Daenerys–whose primary vices are pride and lust–and Tyrion–whose primary vice is shrewdness, lust, and, more or less, alcoholism–over Ned–who is the paragon of what is honorable. So giving your character a paragon stance will make her almost unlikable.

I suggest that you have an understanding of what happened in the character’s past, and ensure that it is not a happy past. Almost always, characters without a happy past have some dire vendetta against someone or something. You could have this character strive to you her future-seeing capabilities to kill another character; perhaps you can choose to ally yourself to the vindictive character (and maybe you even genuinely support them) or perhaps you can choose to ally yourself to the character the other wishes to kill (and maybe you even genuinely support them). Or maybe you can just use both of them for your own personal gain. But make sure all choices are what are “gray” choices; there is no right answer and there is no wrong answer. This makes the story, and its characters, intensely more interesting and stimulating for the player/reader.

Going off of @Fantom’s idea, what if she not only didn’t need the ball, but couldn’t control when some visions come… Make it more challenging, but interesting. What if she only had control over a portion of her visions, but had some side abilities… On the side?

It’s late and my brain doesn’t function properly.

She could also use motionless bodies of water

There’s an interesting idea. Maybe she uses different mediums for different situations.

Oh, and she could use mirrors.

Alternatively, instead of visions of the future, she can see visions of the past: maybe she can enter the memories of others by touching those people, and then be able to alter those memories (or even the past event itself!) through her power?

Hell, doing that and studying the consequences of it can be an entire game by itself.

You could stop envisioning her as being lame :V

Thanks everyone your input has been helpful especially Ninjasplaycardgames2 lol.
@fantom yes I was thinking of something like that just trying to put the pieces together
@adjppm1227 I’m sure that making a character well written is obviously very important, and I will try to make her interesting but, the main problem I was having was finding things the player could do with her. Do you know what I mean?
@Doctor yeah I thought about that too, maybe she would have to fight her inner demons when she had visions… Something like that
@Samuel_H_Young Those sound like good ideas the main part of her character is that she is a clairvoyant/prophetic character I definately wouldn’t want to hold her back to crstal balls
@Cataphrak Interesting, I really like that.
@Ninjasplaycardgames2 seriously best comment

Add this character to it
Will Lambert
He is a European American male.
Personality: The Artisan.
ISTP: Introvert Sensing Thinking Perceiving.
Quiet, reserved, with loner tendencies. Private and hidden. Has trouble describing feelings, tends to be unemotional. Not very affectionate. Can be insensitive to the misfortunes of others. Isolated and not influenced by others. Avoidant. Not complimentary. More interested in intellectual pursuits than relationships or family. Disorganized and messy. Can be a risk-taker who lives in the moment and may have an interest in extreme-sports. Uncomplicated desires. Loyal to peers and own value systems, but not overly concerned with respecting laws and rules if they get in the way of getting things done. Not comfortable in unfamiliar situations. Fears drawing attention to self. Dislikes leadership and tends to be submissive. Dislikes counterculture. Interested in how and why things work. Excellent skills with mechanical things. Detached and analytical, excels at finding solutions to practical problems. Lower energy.

Psychological Disorder: Antisocial.

Favored Careers: aerospace engineer, technician, computer scientist, software engineer, software developer, scientist, bar owner, automotive technician, electrician, engineer, mathematician, industrial engineer, nuclear engineer, biotechnology, mechanic, systems analyst, computer animator, data analyst, video game designer.

Unlikely Careers: artist, fashion designer, theater director, poet, dancer, actor, singer, English teacher or professor, art teacher, healer, stage manager, florist, art therapist, school teacher, music journalist