Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale Free-for-All Discussion Thread Where Spoilers May Appear

Wow. I think you just won this thread!

In other news, I have been steadily updating the word choice for your amusement. It is 40k more than when I started this thread.

16 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

why nobody told me about this beforeeeee…:sob:

but better late then never Woot!

So this new serie…we gonna play a new character right ? and characters from Tally ho would show up ? oh plz…tell me we will be able to choose the gender and the romance we had in Tally ho…cose nothing kill a story then ‘here your default setting’’ …

I’m SO looking forward to seeing what you gonna unleash! if its anything like Tally Ho…then it gonna be alot of fun to play ! Good Luck and will be looking forward to hearing any news ! :grin:

2 Likes

Glad to hear it.

In Tally Ho I liked to play the Gordon Ramsey of servants, extremely competent but brusque and with neither the time or inclination to suffer fools.

Unfortunately the cast was about 95% fools so he did a lot of suffering. :face_with_monocle:

And I think at least 30% of that was Rory.

I look forward to carving a path through these upper-class twits with the rapier of my wit in Cakes and Ale.

8 Likes

I will be sure to include lots of opportunities to skewer those about you. I think you’ll find, though, that the proportion of fool/not-fool has not changed very dramatically.

8 Likes

wait wait…you the one who wrote Tally Ho? oh god…plz…make the next story has hilarious as Tally ho was…is…cose I’m doing another run…and its still So funny…and I love it…

6 Likes

Could it be that we have option to be serious or fun ?
I meant in Tally Ho, the perceived story plot for the MC is as a fun looking , non serious butler…

But i always wonder, in the same universe, perhaps MC could choose to be a rigid, serious going and self-redemption protagonist ? I always watch some of those movies, where the protagonist was a swach buckling fun looking lead character, but there always exist a supporting character who seemed to be too serious looking, too concern and too caring for the lead casts behaviour, usually such character was there to be made fun of… but it would be nice if i can play as one of these party stopper and stop the music when those main casts thought they can get away with their nonsense :wink:

3 Likes

Actually you could play Tally Ho! as a serious character. I did that in one of my playthrough but he did suffer a lot because of the shenanigans that Rory and Mopsie pulled out (and Fig, of course).

But in Cakes and Ale, I think you play as someone similar to Rory (read @Gower’s explanation in the first post) so I actually am looking forward to do the shenanigans myself :smiley:

7 Likes

So in Tally Ho! we had a spectrum of options on how to manage Rory & Co. or play along with their whims.

Now that we’re the ones with the whims, do we get to influence what kind of servant we get & how we can expect he/she to either aid or hinder us? Maybe via the servant’s job interview in the prologue chapter or something?

3 Likes

In Tally Ho I always prefered to play my MC kinda as the Only Sane Man, and tbh I don’t feel so excited so far about the idea of playing a Rory-like character, but since I loved all of Gowers works so far I’m sure I’ll still give the game a try when it’s out.

4 Likes

I always thought we could fashion our Lady or Gentleman to our liking (depending on @Gower 's customization choices)

5 Likes

I look forward to playing a beautiful disaster. I always respect people who write primarily humor-driven plots, since I find writing humor to be much more difficult than writing drama.

5 Likes

Regarding love interests: In this first game, there are four love interests: one male, one female, and two gender flippable. Others may show up in later games, but who can say. The servant is, of course, one of the love interests, and is one of the gender flippable characters.

The servant character is a set character. You will get to do the interview in chapter one, but you are getting this particular servant. Who has the upper hand in the relationship, and how your priorities may differ is naturally a pretty big chunk of the game.

Servants never hinder their employers, I am told by the Cadbury Club. If the employer perceives an action as a hinderance, that merely means that the servant needs to perform further shaping upon their employer.

I am now authorized to reveal one aspect of the character. Whereas in Tally Ho you had a previous occupation (lion tamer, jewel thief, et cetera) which gave stats, extra choices, and some mini stories at times, in Cakes and Ale you have a previous scandal. You will choose one of five scandals in your recent past that has destroyed your social credibility.

The stats are about the same in the game as in Tally Ho, except instead of a Suspicion meter, you have a Scandal meter. An MC who chooses to maintain high Scandal and an MC who works to lower it is going should be treated pretty differently as they hit the middle/end of the game and depending on who they choose to hang out with.

(More importantly, each scandal will give you an adventure with characters that you’ll only meet if you have that particular scandal.)

38 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: This will be very interesting…

13 Likes

Excellent news!

During this interview I fully intend to express a preference for reasonable competence in fisticuffs, so my servant may swiftly dispense with any inconveniences when we go out for amusing larks.

Or maybe a fleetness of foot sufficient to keep up with me when we have to excuse ourselves from the gentlemen of the Law. Hie and away!

(Let’s hope this servant doesn’t disappoint)

4 Likes

Mmm, yes, delicious crunchy back story. So nourishing.

8 Likes

Just dropping by to say that I absolutely love your work. Tally Ho will always be the one special gem among my list of CoGs or even all text-based games ever existed. I’ve been playing all kinds of visual novels/galgames/choose your adventure and all that for years but I simply couldn’t find a single flaw for me to complain about in Tally Ho, be it writing style (Gods I love it), characters, plots or pacing of the story. Seeing you doing a new story - a trilogy no less! - makes me do jumping jacks around the room. I’ll always be ready to be among the first to dramatically sing your praises in Google Play reviews section.

19 Likes

Though I say I’ll be looking forward to making the mess instead of cleaning up everyone else’s shit!

7 Likes

The amount of words written makes me want to faint from happiness.

9 Likes

Hi :blush: I’m dropping down a message to say that this sounds amazing and got me exited for the series and I’d like to ask a question :
Cakes and Ale is a part of a trilogy called jolly good series right? ( I hope I got the series name right :persevere:) and I noticed with the name of the last game in the series is “port in the storm” and I wonder if it’s much more darker than the other games in the series or I’m just thinking too much…

1 Like

This series is going to have the same levels as Tally Ho. Mostly light, with a few bracing dashes of strong emotion here and there. Never fear.

The last game in the series will literally have you drinking glasses of port during a snowstorm.

It makes me want to faint too! For different reasons. I’ve been updating my word count in the first post pretty much after every writing session, because it’s an easy way for me to show progress without making a whole post about it.

19 Likes