So. All right. Let’s go.
This is my very first game. Not my very first story, though, so, I hope that you’ll all find it engaging.
I had never programmed something before, so forgive me then warn me of any kind of bug. Also, English isn’t my first language and my keyboard is old, so ANY mistake that you find, please let me know. And I never wrote something with non-straight romance in the first plan, so please, PLEASE, let me know if I write something wrong or uncomfortable! Even if I really want to make this a story more dark in a sense, I also want the romance part to be the best possible!
Now, about Broken Pieces.
Everything began with a short story that was a retell of Little Red Riding Hood that is purely space opera and sci-fi, made firstly just for fun, and some loose ideas about working with robots/androids in a romantically context. I was curious with what had lead to the things in this retell (like the curse “By the Extinct Witches!” or the trolls), and really REALLY wanting something with robots. Add a music from Apocalyptica in the mix and there, Broken Pieces is born.
(Sadly you’ll not find Bid Bad Wolf or Little Red Riding Hood in Broken Pieces since this story occurs something like one millennium before the retell )
The year is 3562. More than one thousand years ago, humanity broke the barriers, expanded through the galaxy and met other species, some of them really similar, others, not so much. There was war and there was peace. It isn’t a paradise, but also isn’t hell. Bad places and good places, bad people and good people.
For some centuries now, beyond some key governments and the Spider Empire, there are other two major players in the galaxy: FAE Genetics and WITCH Robotics, the major suppliers of non-natural soldiers and workers for every layer of society.
Where there is law and these corporations, you are less than a being if was created in a lab or modified beyond certain legal thresholds. More than fifty percent of the body substituted by technology? You are a machine that somebody can own. Created in a lab using DNA of more than one single species? You belong to the ones whom created you. An AI in its own artificial body? You must do only what is in your programming. More than ten percent of you DNA modified? Careful, somebody will try to own you if you aren’t already.
About eighty years ago, four galactic players started to rise: the Purist, the Hybrid Alliance, the Artificial Coalition and the Nautilus Society. The ones who want to put limits in modifications. The ones who fight by the organic-created. The ones who free the technologic-created. And the ones who want to nuke big corporations.
The tension between the corporations against the organizations has been rising for something around fifteen years, and there is already talk of galactic war.
And you are caught in the middle of this.
You have been working now for ten years in a big corporation. FAE or WITCH, it’s your choice. Then one day, while testing a new “product”, as they call - an android or a girl created in lab -, everything goes wrong: you almost die, the “product” escapes and a good chunk of very important information is stolen. And your employers thinks that you are guilty. For sabotage of the experiment or for stealing the information or both, doesn’t matter, for all that counts your head is already on a spike.
Or should be, if your best friend hadn’t saved your sorry ass. You just wasn’t expecting to have to work for one of the organizations and pay your debt for being saved. And, for some trick of the destiny - or of the “products” would be more accurate - you are in possession of the stolen information.
Now you just need to discover what it is and… Why not trade it for your life?
That is, if you’ll be able to betray your new allies.
Or perhaps you don’t consider them your allies?
Oh, you worry only about youself, the others be damned?
It’s your story. It’s your decision.
*What we will have in the end?
- Gender choice: male, female, non-binary
- Chose your formal way of addressing (edited)
- 6 romances: the genders of them will depend of the sexual orientation
. A defective companionship android that is a cinnamon roll
. A search and hunt android that was sent to kill you/get the information (I love this trope, let me xD) that doesn’t understand organics
. A human bounty hunter that “owns” the search and hunt android and was also sent to kil you/get the information that breathes sarcasm
. An aquatic alien created in lab to be a diplomatic companion that is a double cinnamon roll who loves art
. A huge alien with field doctor and military experience and that love the fine things of life
. An alien with mental powers, complex of superman, manipulator and that the rumors says “no strings attached”
. Possibility of a polyamorous relationship in one of the romances (edited)
- A lot of more characters, including your best friend Stephen that is FAMILY.
- Around 12 missions through the game that will influence the galaxy and shake the balance of power and, also, shape your character
- Questioning about what is considered life
- The story will span something around 4 years of the life of the character
- Pay attention to the music that inspired the name (and how I’ll write the romance development). I love dramas of characters that love each other but follow different paths and possibly end like enemies. In the end, it’ll be totally possible something like this, lovers to enemies.
. Or best friends to enemies.
- At least 20 chapters? I’m terrible at planning in chapter-style, the final ALWAYS have at least 5 more.
- My cries of happiness for finishing it
- My screams of frustration because programming
*What we have?
- One chapter of 10,8k words that is more like a prologue, explaining better the organizations and corporations, building the character and putting the events in motion.
- Your best friend Stephen
- The huge alien
- A feel of what we have in terms of skills and personality traits
- My curses each time I wrote something wrong (just kidding)
- One new chapter for each two months at most (my life is crazy and I have two academic projects to write for July)
- Correct every bug or writing mistake pointed and/or found
- Make a glossary
- Don’t pull out my hair because of despair
- Don’t procrastinate (much)
- A new stat that will track your opinion about lab-created life
- A Glossary including: the four major species in the galaxy (Mintor, Nainnur, Drava and Spider), a short description of one minor species and a short history about each institution and its creation
- Additions to chapter one to increase immersion in the way the universe works AND correction of the spelling and grammar mistakes pointed (My keyboard hates me and I hate cognates between English and Portuguese because I made the most stupid mistakes because of the damn cognates )
- Mr, Ms, Zee, Child of the Doom… It’s your choice now
- It’s all on the demo
- Hope: finish chapter 2 until later August lol
I think I said everything I wanted and felt the need to say about the game. Any updated, you’ll know!
AND THE DEMO IS HERE!!
I hope you all like it! I would also appreciate any constructive criticism