Bring Us to Washington [Ch: 1.5/?] | ON HIATUS

:eyes:
(Also, sorry to bother you but can you tell me what the gif in your user card background? It looks so cool)

This question may sound weird, but is the pre-adoption stuff an essential part of the story, or is it skippable?

1 Like

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could change our MC’s dialogue to " " instead of << >>? It’s something that I learnt about writing impaired characters, that once you let the readers know the character is mute, you don’t need special treatment to his dialogue.
Aside from that I like the overall of the game. After finishing this demo maybe I’ll take a look at your other project, haven’t seen it but I’m sure it’ll be far cooler because it’s your main project.

1 Like

It’s good so far wish there was romance I mean with Mira since it not incest cause not blood related

It’s essential.

I do this just to differentiate sign language from spoken language. I use it for Mira and Allen too.

Thank you! I think both are equally cool in their own right, but that’s just my opinion.

I am not nor will I ever be comfortable writing something like that.

1 Like

I really like what you have so far (as well as your title)! A non-verbal MC is very interesting and I really admire your way of conveying their relationships without being heavy-handed. I also like the use of << >> to indicate sign language instead of having to write each time, “he signed,” “she signed,” etc.! Can’t wait to see what happens!

2 Likes

Okay, thx for letting me know! (:

1 Like

Tiny, tiny update! I modified the first choice and I also recoded the open-ended dialogue section so that it doesn’t revert to the main conversation menu after each choice. I also changed some of Allen’s dialogue so he didn’t sound as harsh.

1 Like

Yes! Allen isn’t a huge a**hole and I finally managed to keep my relationships above 50.

The stats balanced out well in the end (which just means I obsessively check my stat screen).

Is Jacob mentally unstable or is he just young?
Does picking up the book in the beginning do anything other than raise a stat?

Mira gives me the evil vibes.

Allen now gives me a background/unimportant vibe (like he’s there but not really).

Jacob makes me want to smuggle him in covers and cuddle.

I like how at the end it mentions the important choices and how it would affect you in the next chapter.
Will this happen at the end of every chapter until you finish? This seems useful.

That whole gas station scene gave me the heebie jeebies. (I might have nightmares no biggie).

CONTINUE

1 Like

Yay! I did some minor adjustments - I’m glad they worked out.

“Mentally unstable” isn’t the term I’d recommend using, but to answer the question, both.

The valuables serve different purposes at different points. You’ll get to use it more later.

I wouldn’t call her evil. She just doesn’t trust easily. :slight_smile:

He’s important. :wink:

Smuggle is an interesting term, but I’m glad you like him!

Yes, you’ll see an important choices recap at the end of each chapter.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Sometimes he makes me so mad (Not because of what he did but because of what he didnt do) but during those times I want to protect him regardless of how I feel at the moment.

Sorta like a sibling which i think you were aiming for…?

He is your sibling, yes. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hoo boy… I can already see… this family is going to be diFFICULT. But no family is a picnic, especially in a zombie outbreak, so well done! Curious, is appearance all headcanon territory here? Not just our MC, but the family’s too? And is MC the eldest or middle child of this litter?(Sorry if it was mentioned and I missed it, sometimes I read multiple times and still miss a key point…)

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words!

For the most part. MC’s appearance is fully headcanon. The only confirmed appearance things are the following:

• Mira is Mexican
  • Mira has a black leather jacket
  • Jacob has messy blonde hair
  • Allen is wearing a red flannel

They will probably have set appearances in the official cover art, but that’s a ways away.

Not sure yet. I’m thinking middle child. Jacob is definitely the youngest, but I’m not sure if I want Mira to be older than MC.

1 Like

Hey y’all! Just wanted to give you a quick update. While I primarily focused on my other WIP during the last week, I did plan out the entirety of chapter 2 for BUTW. There’s a few really fun action scenes and lots of emotions in this chapter that I think you’re all really gonna love! Let’s just say that your family is going to be quite divided on lots of situations…

I don’t know when I’ll actually get around to writing the next chapter since I wanna focus on the other WIP, but don’t worry! BUTW won’t be too far behind Voltaic.

5 Likes

Hey, I really like this! As a romance lover, it’s hard for me to get into game where romance isn’t present at all, but I was definitely drawn into this. In fact, I second your idea to not have romance in this game. Just from his demo alone, I’d much rather try and survive then try hook up with somebody. Zombie Exodus could make a romance and surviving work because the world is much larger and there’s more room to building something like that. In this world though, surviving is obviously the number one goal.

Below are my choices and Alayna can not forget that all she wants. Lil bro over everything. :woman_shrugging:

I do have a few questions, but if they’re spoilery, I don’t mind a non-answer haha. When you mean distance yourself, do you mean emotionally, or do you mean literally at some point in the game you can leave them and try and survive on your own? Also, will any of these characters potentially die due to your choices or will the family survive no matter what?

Keep up the great work. I’ll have to go check out your other WIP as well!

1 Like

Damn, here I thought this was gonna be a game about US politics, sorta like mr. Smith goes to Washington, you fooled me with the title, well done author. :clap:

2 Likes

The description could’ve fooled me too, really…

2 Likes

Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking when I decided not to include romance. It just didn’t fit the theme of what I wanted to write.

:smirk:

Emotionally, yes. Can’t confirm leaving them just yet. :grin:

:blush:

You’re too kind. Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My deception tactics worked! Muahahaha…

Politics are cutthroat these days!

2 Likes

I really like this so far! I’m also a sucker for romance plots (in interactive fiction and visual novels exclusively lol), but dysfunctional families are possibly my second fave element to have at the center of a story.

not sure if someone else mentioned it already, but must we choose all of the convo topics after the nightmare? We don’t have to with Mira so maybe a ‘Done talking’ choice could lead to her waking up and then her convo options? My OC would check that people are ok and then withdraw–they’re reserved and not inclined to talk about themselves, so I didn’t want to choose some of the topics.

I loved the recap of influential choices, too. Are you planning to have those come up at the end of each chapter or is it more likely to just be for the demo? (And please tell me there’s gonna be a reaction to my MC stabbing the shit out of the zombie at the end :blush:)

also

i feel very attacked

1 Like