Bracken Fell: Tale of Tails (UPDATED 6/16/21)

Description:
Take on the role of a small animal that must set out on an epic saga to locate the ancient spirit of a lost hero. Save your home from hordes of attacking Vermin, or succumb to evil and command them all!

When a prophecy by an eccentric squirrel bard upends your plans for a life of quiet monkhood, you and your companions must travel through haunted bogs, magical gardens of temptation, and across perilous seas full of beasts of myth in order to save–or conquer–the kingdom!

This setting is loosely based around a fantastical Medieval level of technology and is in homage to childhood classics like the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques, The Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O’Brien, and the works of Beatrix Potter.

Current Features:
-Choose between playing a mouse, vole, dormouse, chipmunk, gray squirrel, and even a rat–you Vermin, you!
-Play as male, female, or nonbinary
-A PG-rating; fun for the whole family!
-Friend and romance options with gender choices

Word Count: This current demo stands at 10,300 words (excluding commands and code) and has about 7,820 words per individual playthrough.

I’ve been developing this game for several months and have a completed outline, and the current word count is 72,340 (excluding commands and code,) and will be much more. Small updates come every week and large ones every month.

Upcoming Features:
-Have fun at the faire or solve a mystery of stolen honey
-Uncover your fellow aspiring monk’s secret contraband
-Complete (or fail) your Rite
-Party at the palace with the cavy queen
-Survive an upcoming Vermin attack on the festival before setting out on your epic adventure
-Meet the magically-frozen royal from another era
-Romance options with multiple characters

Play the Bracken Fell demo: [Bracken Fell: Tale of Tails]
(https://dashingdon.com/play/zionmantis/bracken-fell-tale-of-tails-/mygame/)

Enormous thanks to Fiogan for providing the songs and poetry. I couldn’t have done it without you.

188 Likes

Fascinating story so far! I really have a special place in my heart for games where I can have a rodent (or similar) MC - and well… In this case, you have my special thanks for allowing rat MCs!
The way you tell the story is amazing - the descriptions are vivid and clear. It’s very easy to get immersed in the world. I really can’t wait for more!

I have noticed one coding error - nothing too hard to fix I think. If selecting a rat with custom appeareance, the “character editor” skips the fur color.

Ah, also - it would be useful to implement the save plug-in in the game. Right now it’s short so it’s fine, but WIPs are really best tested with the ability to save!

Anyway, that’ll be it from me, for now. Definitely bookmarking!

7 Likes

Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words :two_hearts: I’ll fix that by tomorrow.

Not to be dramatic or anything but i would die for my mouse mc

4 Likes

Aaa, I love it. :two_hearts: (Not your death, but that you enjoy the MC so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

2 Likes

I loved Redwall and Secret of NIMH so much as a kid and you capture that spirit and tone of those worlds really well, while still making a completely new and exciting world of lore to learn about! This was so much fun and super exciting, love it so far! :smiley:

3 Likes

You’re too kind! I hope it continues to make you happy!

1 Like

I dont know about you guys but the first name option seems pretty nice to me

1 Like

I’m glad you like it! :relaxed:

Congratulations on releasing the demo! I’m loving the beautiful prose and storytelling. And here’s to mice! :D Very much looking forwards to where this goes. :green_heart:

1 Like

I already adore this story and am so excited to play a game where I can be a rat, I already love my pudgy little lady! I am so excited to see where you take us and to meet our companions (and hopefully forge a friendship with Artegal).

1 Like

Thank you sooo much, my sibling from another pibling! :heart:

2 Likes

Aaa, I think you’ll be pleased there! Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

These things are all fixed now, including the save implementation :smiley:

4 Likes

I knew I would love that game when I saw you could play a rat!
Loved those ever since I read Mice of Depftord (a book series which I finally was able to remember the name of thanks to your game), where rats are the bad guys but whatever…

Your writing style is really descriptive and its easy to imagine the world, which is such a cool one!
Looking forward what becomes of this!

6 Likes

…Now I’ve got to read that series!

Thanks so much; I’m glad you’re enjoying!

Can I just say I love the art in the opening post?

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s a WIP just like the demo here :smiley:

@zionmantis This makes me want to rewatch The Secret of Nimh.

A few things:

1. You should enable dashingdon’s save system so we can test other options without having to restart. It should make the whole process faster.

2. When chosing your skills, I’m not sure what the last one refers to; the one that says, “Priory guidance isn’t enough for small villages,” or something like that.

3 Likes

I thought I had enabled testing on dashingdon; is it not working on your end? Or did I not enable it correctly?

Thanks for your input! I’ll try to be more clear with that choice next time I update.

2 Likes