Books

So I find myself seeing people making games off of books or alluding to one in their stories. And i thought to myself as I was in Barnes and Noble helplessly looking for a good read that some people on this forum will be able to help me find a good book. And I will give some examples of books i have read in the hopes that someone will be able to help me find my next great read.
My favorite book series is The Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I have also read the wheel of time and found it to be enjoyable-if a little slow.
I enjoyed the Rangers Apprintice series, and am enjoying the Brother Band also.
Percy Jackson and the olympians.
The Pathfinder series
The Lost Gate was a good read.
Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25
And who didnt enjoy The Lord Of The Rings and the other books by Tolkien.
And so I could Write on and on about the books i enjoyed reading but I think this short list will suffice. Please put any books that you think would be found enjoyable. It would be much appreciated.

My favorite books are the Eternal Champion books by Michael Moorcock, especially the Elric series, though I enjoyed reading all of them - Corum, Hawkmoon, Erekose, and more. Another favorite is the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. Then there’s the Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser books by Fritz Leiber. Anything by Terry Pratchett if you like your fantasy mixed with humor. Some people like books by Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, though I started having a difficult time with books by those authors after reading half a dozen of them. Stephen R. Donaldson wrote the Thomas Covenant books, quite huge and good, with a decidedly anti-hero protagonist. The Belgariad is a great fantasy series by David Eddings. I could go on…

These are all older series, but so is Lord of the Rings. They are all classic fantasy that any hardcore fan of the genre should read. If you’re not hardcore, well, you might like some of them anyway.

I recommend the Demonata and Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. Demonata revolves around Grubbs Grady and his friends and mentor taking on the demons that are trying to take over earth. Cirque tells the story of the character of Darren Shan and what he goes through as a vampire. Another suggestion is The Mortal Instruments series which starts with the book City of Bones. It tells the story of Clary and her life as a Nephilim, or Shadow hunter.

I can recommend the Bartimaeus Trilogy (even though there’s four books) by Johnathan Stroud and The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

The former is set near present day (I don’t think it’s expressly said, and doesn’t really matter) narrated alternately by the titular Bartimaeus, a demon, and his master, Nathaniel (with Bart, it’s first-person and more comedic; with Nat, it’s second-person and more serious) and a third, which would be a spoiler. Basically, magicians exist, but can only do magic through summoning demons, like Bart, which is a VERY complex and dangerous task. The three books I’ve read (still haven’t read the prequel, though I’d like to) all have their own involved storylines and subplots, too many to list here. Yeah, all of 'em are doorstoppers, but you’ve read Tolkien, so you should be able to handle it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Dresden Files is set in modern-day and follows the titular Harry Dresden, a wizard (I have a thing for modern fantasy). It’s basically a fantasy tale meets film noir. There’s twelve books out right now, with a thirteenth on the way. I’ve only gotten through most of the first one, but I can still recommend it, because apparently it gets better as you go.

@all I will defently look into these. Thank you.
@ArchAngel950 I had no idea The Dresden Files were more then a television show…

And i do hope more books will be posted. because i read through books like a cocaine addict goes through cocaine.

First, of course, are the the necessary reads, 1984, Animal Farm (Both by Orwell), Fahrenheit 451 (Bradbury) and The Giver (Lois Lowry). We (Yevgeny Zamyatin), although I don’t really consider it as necessary a read as the above four was also good.

Then I’d recommend Ender’s Game and possibly Ender’s Shadow (Orson Scott Card) as personal favorites. Apparently, none of his other works are nearly at the same level though. Carrie (Stephen King) of course. I enjoyed So You Want to Be a Wizard (Diane Duane), but never got around to the rest of the Young Wizards series.

It’s been a while since I’ve really read in earnest, so I’ll have to go back over collection to see if anything really jumps out at me.

@Rwaperoa Orson scott card writes good books, and I laughed at your necessary reading because those all happend to be Highschool assigned reading books so…lol. OK There where a few of those I dont know and I will look into them. Thank you

Yea, I find that a lot of stuff I really like is the same stuff the education system often times likes. I would’ve recommended Romeo and Juliet too, if I didn’t think it was so trite to.

Two more series (which I read a long time ago): The Pendragon Series and Circle of Magic (The Wizard’s Apprentice in the UK). The first wasn’t quite perfect IMO, but it was fun (for the 3~4 books I read), while the latter (of which I only read the first book) seemed to be rather deep in setting.

@Reaperoa Hmmm the Circle of Magic is new to me…(I feel like a broken record) I will look into it.

I recommend a single book called House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I also recommend her Sea of Trolls series. Also, if you have not read it already, the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini. (Although I’m pretty sure it is actually called the Inheritance.

Cement…
Yeah it really is a book!

A song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin, better known as Game of Thrones is something i think you should check out.

The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelle
Book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi
the divine comedy by dante alighieri

@QondasDyablo It is indeed actually called the Inheritance series.
@Player cement?
@noogai hmm if tv show is close to the books i feel like itd be a quick read
@Deaths not to judge a book by its cover, but Book of five rings sounds like an interesting book.

@Antitorpiliko Inheritance Cycle, my bad.

Yup, The Dresden Files is a very detailed and complex book series.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate. I think it’s getting a reprint pretty soon. The main series alone is 54 books long, but they’re all pretty short. There’s also four Megamorphs books (slightly longer), several supplimentary reading books known as Chronicles, and two Choose Your Own Adventure books known as Alternamorphs (which you can safely skip, because… they suck).

It’s about a secret alien invasion, being fought between the Yeerks (y’know the little brain-bug things briefly seen in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan? The Yeerks were inspired by them) and five kids that can turn into animals called… well, Animorphs. I know it sounds pretty simple and clean, and it IS a young adults series, but… it’s not simple. Or clean. Trust me. It’s free of swearing, but I hope you have a strong stomach.

I’ve fallen behind on my China Mieville, but I can whole-heartedly recommend Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council, and Kraken. Relentlessly imaginative, grim, Marxist and meta… what’s not to like?

Susan Cooper’s The Dark Is Rising series (5 books – 2, 4, and 5 are the good ones) are classic young adult fantasy with mythic depth.

And a few others I’ve really enjoyed: The Long Price by Daniel Abraham (4 book series). The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle. The Riddle-Master of Hed trilogy by Patricia McKillip. Swordspoint, by Ellen Kushner.

I can also reccomend lots of Jack London books.
He’s books are always a fun read to me because it almost always contain adventure and excitement.

Notes from under ground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

@817819 thats one heck of a name