Blood Rights (WIP--Demo available November 6th)

How about the MC is at a graveyard after a friend was killed by a vampire, paying their respects, until said vampire comes out from the shadows, hiding from the human hunters, and attacks the MC, seeing them as easy prey? Then a small team arrives, watches the player character barely survive the attack and take out the vampire. They are impressed, and invite the MC into the organization after he/she learns who they are.

Of course, the MC doesn’t know a vampire killed their friend, or that they even existed. This is all revealed in dialogue. The hunters were tracking the vampire and the player asks about victims.

Well, that’s too bad.

~We can’t help you if you didn’t show us~

And, yeah, how come @Mxm124 knows about the demonic cows?! :point_up::point_up_2:

1 Like

Me, staring at the phrase “Thirst Meter” and trying very hard to remain serious: I am an adult. I did not start this game just as an excuse to have a “thirst” stat.

2 Likes

Oh, also. What I’ve decided to do for now is just scrap the initial flashback I was gonna have. It’ll come in later, but I feel there are more important scenes that I’d be unable to place correctly as I had it without doing like…a flashback within a flashback within a flashback…etc. Essentially inception but with flashbacks and that’s totally unnecessary.

Seems like a cool idea. I like it!

I made the decision last night that I want the vampires in this game to be heavily modeled after vampire bats.

This includes (but isn’t necessarily limited to):

[spoiler]- the ability to use infrared (bats do this with their nose!)

• the ability to pick up the breathing sounds of sleeping animals that they use for food

• saliva that contains anticoagulants and anesthetic

• quick digestion of the liquid part of blood that results in bats peeing like three minutes after they feed

• vampire bats are matriarchal, tend to look out for those in their colony (including food sharing by kinda gross methods), and use grooming as a social activity

• not as relevant but did you know that vampire bats are one of the few bats who can maneuver on land by walking or crawling

• they can also run and I think that’s mildly terrifying but it probably just looks silly as hell[/spoiler]

6 Likes

I doubt your vampires would need rapid digestion unless they could actually fly, like bats do. Though it would make for some funny situations XD

3 Likes

It’s still so funny to me. Vampire bats are such strange creatures

4 Likes

do you plan on using dashingdon for the link once the demo is out??

Most likely. It might be a little while since I won’t be in town for a full week and I’m not sure how much I’ll get finished by then, though😅

1 Like

@sammyboy cool I can’t wait to try out the demo once it is out I am very interested in this idea.

1 Like

I haven’t been updating as recently because I’ve been thinking over how to write certain scenes as well as game mechanics and plot points, but I’ve come up with a few ideas that I really like!

Still not 100% positive how I’m going to transition between the current scene and the next, but I’m not as worried about it as I was considering how well everything else is clicking into place for me😄

My first thought when I learned that vampire bats can shave away hair/fur from areas on their prey with their teeth: Vampire hair saloons.

My second thought: First thought was really fucking stupid.

3 Likes

Also: I can’t put too much about a lot of my ideas because they’d end up being big spoilers, but I’ve mostly decided that the vampite route and the human route are going to be very different experiences. What I have in mind currently is a possibility of five different main ways to end up, but that could easily change at this point.

1 Like

I just learned that the Count on Sesame Street being unable to resist counting things aligns with lore where vampires are associated with arithmomania. Not sure what to do with this information, but I feel my life has changed in some way because of it.

3 Likes

Okay! Made some decent progress tonight. The vampire information pages in the stats screen are almost finished😄

3 Likes

Vampire info page is complete. Better yet, it looks nice and condensed. I should have more time to work on this tomorrow because I have the day off. I think I’d like to go through what I’ve already written and give the player more of a choice regarding MC’s personality. This might involve deleting certain stats. Hopefully that shouldn’t be too much of a project on its own so that I can write a bit more forward.

Because I cut out one of the scenes (I’ve decided it’s going to be put in further down the road), word count is at 8,510 now. Though the addition to the stats screen is 710 words.

2 Likes

I did some mapping out yesterday to make some more sense of my plan for this game as well as some character descriptions (subject to change at this stage, of course).

I introduced temperament selection for characters and cleaned up a lot of stuff. Spelling and grammar errors got fixed and several coding errors. I’m getting an idea of how I’d like to end this chapter (after that is when the flashback would fit better).

At this point I still need to implement individual character scenes (planning to have a “who do you want to go talk to?” bit between two characters and then a “who do you want to walk home with?” between two other characters). Once that’s done I can start the chapter end scene, and I’ll probably use that as a demo.

One thing that’s definitely undecided is stats. I don’t think they’ll be concrete until the game is finished and I can see what fits well into it (excluding a couple stats).

Also I love one of the characters so much. His name is Vlad (bad running joke because he’s a fucking vampire). He’s so bad at interacting with people but my heart goes out to him. It hurts me to give an option to hate him😞 But I do understand how his personality can be annoying, too.

8 Likes

I should be home from vacation by tonight. Not sure if I’ll work much on this right away considering I still need to help unpack and I’m exhausted and sunburnt to hell (second degree😑). Just wanted to let anyone keeping an eye on this know that I didn’t just disappear and I’ll be back shortly😄

2 Likes

“…your mailman is kind of an asshole.”

So I’m getting some writing done tonight.

2 Likes