Blood For Poppies (Public Beta Test Now Live! Game Complete! 10/9/20)

Blood For Poppies

You live in apartment 808. For as long as you can remember you have had wings, but you can’t fly. They are pitiful, broken things made of bone and shredded skin stitched together. You aren’t allowed to leave the 8th floor of the Summerset Apartment Complex, and the only people you are in contact with are the other freaks of the 8th floor and your mysterious benefactor, Doctor. Doctor has cared for you for as long as you can remember…

BFP is a semi-horror/psychological game. It is a game about entrapment and the lingering effects of trauma on people and relationships. The game revolves around the relationships you build (or do not build) with your fellow freaks, and it is possible to have romantic relationships.

Notes about content: This game may provoke feelings of unease, discomfort, and anxiety, especially in those dealing with traumatic experiences. This game contains emotional and physical violence. Death is ever-present.

Right now, the word count is about 190,000 words.

Link to the game no longer available. Support the official release through HG!

Lastly, here’s a link to the site I formerly intended to be a hub for my creative works. However, it hasn’t been updated in years. I include it only because I’ve received some kick ass fanart for BFP that I include in a gallery. It deserves to be seen! Link: https://mesmithcreations.wordpress.com/.

244 Likes

Seems interesting so far, look forward to reading more!

I really like it! The writing conveys the tone and mystery of the piece well. There’s an underlying sense of surrealism that I’m liking. My main complaint is that the stats don’t really seem to play into anything. I look forward to more.

1 Like

An intriguing game so far. I look forward to more. :slight_smile:

There’s a few grammar errors, but nothing too serious.

If you don’t mind can you point out some of the more obvious grammar errors you come across or remember? Thanks, everyone!

This is essentially a first draft, so all feedback is helpful. So far I think I need to make stats affect the game more and proofread.

Didnt see any spelling errors or errors with the programing. I want to learn more about the women that looks like me, and have some more…time with Ashton :wink: He is my favorite not me character. Didnt look at states, dont even know what they could be but I want to see where this goes

Thanks for the feedback, @Antitorpiliko. You can be friends with Ashton as both a male and female character but a romance is strictly for male characters. Carmelle is for male and female characters. Kel is for females. It doesn’t quite work out, but I like it much better than Dragon Age II’s “EVERYONE IS BISEXUAL” system.

1 Like

Weird, creepy, and interesting.

I’ve never seen anything like it, and I absolutely love it! Though Doctor is probably the most disturbing character I’ve ever come across… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m looking forward to more interactions with Kel.

1 Like

In your code, you had this:

*fake_choice
	#Help him.
		*set ashton + 1
		You keep trying to drag the chains off of him, but you find that for every one you remove, two more multiply. You keep at your doomed task, even as he sinks into the ground beneath your fingers, dragged by the chains that cover every inch of his body.
		He leaves a few words. "Doctor made us."
		*goto next
	#Leave him.
		He's dragged into the earth, disappearing into the dirt, the fog consuming him bit by bit. Suddenly--
		*goto next

Tell me… how did you make it so that you can write commands in a *fake_choice ?

@AlexCosarca

I have no idea. I’ve done it several times, and for me it simply worked, or seems to work. It could be a flaw in the new Choicescript, and I’ll probably need to change it before the new version comes out lest my game not work anymore. The reason I would use *fake_choice is because I would intend to have it not have commands, but then I would simply change my mind and write it as if it was *choice.

How did you get to my code, anyway? I’m just curious. I didn’t know that could be done.

@shoelip
@mistylavenda

Thanks! The intention was to be creepy, horrific and oppressive. Doctor’s the villain so I had to make him creepy as Hell, haha.

I really liked it and I can’t wait for more! Especially more interactions with carmelle :slight_smile:

Great story so far.

“Wings stretch from your back, but there is nothing majestic about them.”

That’s such a great line.

By the way, you can see code from any online game by ending the game url as so: /mygame/mygame.js which shows all scene names. Then you replace that with /mygame/scenes/scenename.txt to the game URL for each scene.

3 Likes

@dreamwolf685

Yeah, Carmelle is going to show up more, especially if the player chose to make a deal with her. Glad you liked it!

@JimD

Thanks. That means a lot considering I’m a fan of your work on Zombie Exodus.

And thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I really love the game so far. It’s nice to read, and fun to interact with the characters. My favorite so far is Ashton. I look forward to more interactions with him.

can i be friends with ashton while not romancing him

Will there be any more interaction with the outside world? When Kel mentioned the kids who snuck in to get high I got excited at the prospect of messing with them, but that scene was a bit on the short side sadly.

1 Like

@12lexy12
Thanks! I love character-driven narratives myself, so my game really reflects that.
@Matteller
Yes, you can be friends with any of the characters and not romance them. Romance is completely optional.
@Shoelip
I was considering that a part of the story consists of the player escaping from the apartments and into the outside world, but right now the focus is on the mysterious woman/the player’s wings. I dare not say any more.

:open_mouth: this game is awesome

It would be interesting if one of the options was to try to interact with the two potheads without trying to terrify them…