Blood For Poppies (Public Beta Test Now Live! Game Complete! 10/9/20)

@fskfx
This fanart is excellent!!! I’m so happy to see this. Keep spamming as much as you like. It’s wonderful and inspiring. I love the cage and the characters trapped within it. It’s great imagery that plays well off of the official art.

@Shoelip

I agree. I like to make the “good and heroic” option meaningful. If the “good and heroic” option is expected and easy, it isn’t as meaningful. In BFP the “easier” options IMO are to either be bitter and angry or to give in and be loyal to Doctor. In fact, screwing others over like Carmelle is almost expected in the situation, but to show empathy and kindness is more difficult and certainly not expected. I’m enarmoured to the situation myself.

2 Likes

@Vendetta is still working on his game, as far as I know.

1 Like

I know I’m late but it’s great that your back at working at BFP I thought this was dead thread for the longest can’t wait to play the new and improved version I found scarlet to be the one I always go after as romance in how detail and scary her dreams are if I can remember correctly. Keep up the great work and take your time but not for too long :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

OMG! So glad to see this revived I was so sad when you stopped working on it :sob:

2 Likes

I just played it and I must say that if you finish this, it will be one of my favorite CoG’s :smiley: I really, REALLY liked it! Can’t wait for more!

1 Like

Good news everybody!

I finished revamping the already existing material. All that keeps me from posting a new link to the updated version is that I still need to do some tests on my own to ensure it runs smoothly.

What does this mean?

1.) Some of the story, dialogue, prose etc has been changed. Most of what’s been changed is the last of the completed material where the MC learns more about Doctor and Poppy in Doctor’s room. Honestly, I was burned out on the game when I wrote it, and so the writing was rushed and incomplete. Well, no more! I also changed a lot in the Elena portion of the game because a lot of her dialogue was terrible and annoyed me. Hopefully she is no longer terrible haha

2.)Some of the older game mechanics have been stripped out in favor of new ones (the old unutilized ‘madness’ stat is now the ‘loyalty’ stat, which tracks your loyalty to Doctor. If your loyalty to Doctor is high enough your MC can’t take certain actions that directly defy him).

3.) I can now start working on brand spanking new content and finish this thing properly. I have many ideas in mind, particularly different endings the MC can work to achieve.

As of now it’s still not perfect, but if I try to make it absolutely perfect I’ll end up hating it and never finishing it. I only hope to make something myself and others will enjoy and be satisfied with.

Anyway, I’m going to bed. It’s five in the morning for me, but I work best in the wee hours of night.

11 Likes

A few self-serving notes on your progress:

1. I take this game personally, because I love it as if I had created it myself.
  2. I will gladly volunteer to revise, proofread, or whatever else you might need.

So yeah, basically I owe you a favor just for comIng up with this. Let me know what you might need from me to make it better. I am pretty great at accomplishing the impossible.

Very happy to hear that progress is moving along nicely, I eagerly await any and all news for this WIP.

1 Like

Coolio. You all better be loyal to me… I mean Doctor in the game world.

1 Like

If by loyal you mean willing to murder him to death than yea…Very loyal
Then I am gonna go public with this horror. Make a killing making appearances on tv and talk shows

1 Like

@Sashira
I just might hit you up sometime when I think of something! I’ll let you know. I’m sure something will come up.

@faewkless

Oh God. The MC could make so much money writing a tell-all. “My Life as a Teenage Freak”

@everyone

As always I appreciate the well wishes. :smiley: you guys make this so rewarding.

2 Likes

Keep up the great work Lace and when the demo comes up I hope for a roller coaster of emotions with the characters especially Elena the doll I think it was her name. She was the most intriguing. Anyway keep it up :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

The overhaul is complete: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54501502/bfpweb/mygame/index.html

Feel free to report bugs, inconsistencies, weird stuff, typos, whatever. Leave whatever feedback you want.

Another of the big changes I made is only obvious at the very end of this update. The story branches depending on how loyal you have been to Doctor (in game terms this means your loyalty stat is greater than or equal to 5).

7 Likes

Heading to sleep now, but I’ll definitely check this out in the morning and leave some feedback. Really happy to see work progressing on this awesome wip.

1 Like

Oh. My. Gosh.
Can I just say? This game is one of the first works in progress I’ve played on this forum, and I fell in love. Still am in love with this game, honestly. Seeing it brought back from the dead like this brings tears to my eyes.
Okay, maybe I’m not actually crying, but you get the idea.
There were some typos in the dialogue that kept on bugging me, an example being this:
“I’m tired now. May I retire?” We animals need our sleep."
That quotation mark after “retire” shouldn’t be there, considering the dialogue didn’t finish. This happened multiple other times, and it drove me crazy, I can’t stand dialogue errors :weary: Another thing that bothered me, though this might just be me, is the use of all-caps in dialogue. Example:
“He’s so impulsive and tries to force his ‘MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY’ attitude on everyone.”
All those capital letters are just so ugh to me. You’re not obliged to change it at all, but personally I prefer smooth italics instead of BOLD CAPITAL LETTERS to show that the character is emphasizing something.
Also, when you’re asking Alyce questions on the roof, there’s these weird *hide_reuse things on the first two options. (Not sure if this is a spoiler but I’ll hide it anyway.) I’m not familiar with working in ChoiceScript, so is this a bit of code showing? It doesn’t bother me as much as dialogue errors or capital letters do, I’m just curious as to what it is.
Best of luck! :blush:

1 Like

Ah ha. The first bugs/typos arrive!

Yes, the “*hide_reuse” is the coding showing through for some reason.

I’ll make note of these and fix em later today. Thank you!

1 Like

Found a couple small typos. When Carmelle betrays you to the doctor there’s an extra " in her request for sleep. “I’m tired now. May I retire?” We animals need our sleep."

When Carmelle is explaining her condition. "He opened my skull, and used a need to pick at parts of my brain. needle not need

When you’re talking to your mommy dearest. “He p-p-perverted its purpse” Should be purpose.

1 Like

Excellent game! So physchological.

1 Like

I’ve corrected all of the bugs and typos mentioned in the thread so far and then some more I found on my own. I’m finally at a place where I can sit back and write some new content, which I’m very excited about. The ending is shaping up very nicely in my plans. I have ideas for courses of action the MC can take to save their skin/escape the apartment/etc.

I wish @Pale_Strider was around to provide more art. I really like his style for this game, and it’d be neat to have some art for the ends.

@Tevin
That’s really the word I like to use to describe this game. I tend to call it psychological horror since I can’t think of any other genre it comfortably fits in. I wouldn’t even call it ‘horror’ honestly, but at the very least it gives potential players the vague notion of what they’re about to play.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the demo, but (SPOILER) was a little sad at the ending. I did all of the “compliant test subject dude” choices so I wouldn’t get myself killed three minutes in, and I didn’t get myself killed, but was kind of pissed at the Doctor for engineering me to have such a short life. I felt a bit betrayed because I hadn’t done anything super wrong, but had to die young because Doctor decided that short lifespans were the way to go for clones with corpse wings.

I would love to have a skin-saving option or a life-expanding option. Maybe work with the Doc to put some extra years on.

Also, regarding the wings, they’re described as being attached to me by a harness. Why not take the harness off to sleep and stuff? Anyway, the game was unlike any of the other Choice of Games I’ve played, and I look forward to more.