Blood For Poppies (Public Beta Test Now Live! Game Complete! 10/9/20)

Thank you again for the well-wishes.

The overhaul on BfP is going swimmingly. The code is bad, but not quite as terrible as I feared. I’m in the planning stages for the rest of the story.

I just wanted to direct everyone to my brand spanking new Web site: https://mesmithcreations.wordpress.com. It collects ALL of my projects and works together, and I’ll soon set up a blog there so that people can track my progress more easily without having to dig through the thread.

There is a lot of information on Blood for Poppies there, including links to the BfP tumblr (which I had completely forgotten about until now) and the BfP facebook. The latest links to BfP will also be posted on there.

Also, there’s a section of the site that contains the official BfP artwork, and there’s a page for fan work (I’ve received a total of one fan work so far, but if people submit more I’ll most certainly post it).

Hopefully this will help keep down the clutter. A lot of my work is spread out all over the internet, and so I hope this will save people some time. And if for some ungodly reason somebody wants to stalk what I’m doing this is the ideal place to do it. Stalk away!

9 Likes

I hope you keep with it, I’m interested to see where it goes :smile:
Only found I bug so far with one of the selections.

She slowly makes her way along the edge, scarf fluttering in the wind. “I don’t know the future. It’s unsure. Doctor’s dying, too. You too are alike in that way.”
hide_reuseAsk her questions

Edit- just saw you didn’t want bugs reported, won’t post any others I find.

I don’t know when *fake_choice started allowing commands, but I’m confident there’s no plan to change it back. At least one future official game is using *fake_choice in general preference over *choice, without receiving complaints in editorial code review. (Can’t cite you a forum source for this one - my data comes from the author, and the game isn’t announced yet.)

1 Like

I love this game so much I love all the character and its nice to be able to play as female MC :smile:

Thank you for the info. *choice commands can get draining when you have to create *label commands and *goto commands in all of the options just to accomodate them. *fake_choice is often easier by far.

I’ve been removing most of the “unnecessary” *fake_choice commands during the overhaul just to comply with what I perceive to be standard, but it’s good to hear that I’m not completely wrong.

@jacic
No worries! The “don’t report bugs” thing is more so other people don’t waste their time. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

@PurpleMonkey1211

Thank you! I write what I want to play, and I always play female MCs.

Btw, the overhaul is going strong. I’d say I’m 1/4 to 1/3 of the way through. @Nocturnal_Stillness is kind enough to step in and help, which will be great since I’ll soon be out of town and away from any sort of internet or electronics. But never fear! I’ll be back.

2 Likes

I’m so glad this is back. Cheers, and good luck with your writing! :smile:

1 Like

Wow, I am so happy this is back, and could play with Quimera again.

1 Like

I hate to bump this with an “empty” update, but I just wanted people to know that I’ve made good progress on the overhaul and that this project isn’t dead again. I’m about 70% through with the overhaul. Then I’m going to polish it up and post up a link to the new and improved BfP that people are free to critique and bug report. The latest links will always be available on my web site (www.mesmithcreations.wordpress.com) and on the top of this thread. I hope to eventually get around to starting a blog on that site where I can post progress updates.

After that I’ll obviously start working on some new content.

7 Likes

Huh…I thought this name sounded vaguely familiar. I stumbled across this wip just after I first joined this community. I thought it was awesome but when I saw how long it had been untouched I figured it was dead.

Very happy to seeing that the poppies are still bleeding.

2 Likes

Now if only we could get Vendetta and Scarlet Geisha to come back to work again… Although I never did get along with Scarlet.

4 Likes

Wooooooo! You can do it, @LacetheDisgrace! Take as long as you need, because we know it’ll be good. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ohhhh the poppies are bleeding all right haha. There’s a lot of sadness, madness and hope to come in the new content. Stay tuned.

I always appreciate my well-wishers. Writing gets terribly lonely sometimes, and it means a lot to me to have people simply read my work.

The overhaul has been great. I’ve been able to go back and read everything I’ve done so far and refresh myself on the story. I’ve tweaked some scenes and writing to make it flow better. As an abysmally messy person my code is abysmally messy, but it’s still better than before.

One of the changes I’ve done is getting rid of the “madness” stat (that didn’t do anything ever anyway) and changed it to a “loyalty” stat that keeps track of how loyal you are to Doctor. it makes more sense in the story.

5 Likes

Line 197: invalid choice group

I really like this game I am glad to see your still updating it. I can’t wait to see what you have changed within the story

1 Like

What I think I am in this game…

What I really am in this game…

Still a really good game

16 Likes

For my daily doodle, something I force myself to do for artz, I doodled Kel fanart. Kinda. I tried a different style from my usual and got …off tangent. (So he kinda-not-really-sorta doesn’t look anything like the picture of him.) orz Anyways, big fan of the game! (/o)/

9 Likes

@fskfx

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That fanart is gorgeous. I don’t mind alternate interpretations of how the characters look. The official art really caught his “wild, mischevious side” but this captured his darker, angrier side. He seems almost like he’s about to spring back into action, but he’s waiting. So, yes, i love it and I love your skill. <3 i’d love to put it in the fanart section of my web site if you don’t mind. If it’s ok for me to do that how would you like to be credited? I can include a link to your tumblr, devart, whatever.
@Doctor

Haha. Yes. The dead bird is an excellent representation of the MC. However, I hope that by the end of the game I’ll be able to give the MC some chances to be a heroic and good figure. I’ve always thought that to be a heroic decent person when times are good is easy, but to be such a person during difficult times (such as the MC’s life) is truly admirable. The MC begins the game as a caged, suffering victim, but I hope to allow players to gain control as the story progresses.

1 Like

I agree with this so much. One major reason I like The Witcher series so much is that the world is kinda shitty, but you have the choice not to be as much as possible. I mean, if the world is so shitty that your character is basically helpless and doomed without being just as shitty then it just ends up being depressing and not at all escapism. Games where the protagonist can be a shining light of hope in a dark world rather than just the shining light of hope against some personified evil, are some of my favorites. Just enough realism to make the escapism all that much more believable.

Well, I guess that’s not quite the same thing.

2 Likes

;u; Thank you so much! And yes, that’d be awesome! I don’t have a handle so just using my username is fine. <3

I also drew one more. >.o (Your characters are fun to draw, sorry for the spam. x3)

16 Likes

You art is really awesome i love it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like