Blood For Poppies (Public Beta Test Now Live! Game Complete! 10/9/20)

Oh, I can turn it off - juss’ the computer won’t work properly if I do. Takes like, four hours to do anythin’. Seriously. Maybe I should just wipe it again…

@Bagelthief why is your computer stuck in safe mode anyway?

@kaosorer It’s not, it just takes forever to load otherwise. @Bagelthief Yes that probably would help.

@RockyBalboa Ah, I see, thank you. maybe turn it on and leave it on? sure, the computer would overheat and crash (quite possibly explode under some circumstances) but you still have fun

Cud I has link pwease *gives the puppy dog eyes*

I wonder what @Farside is doing

The only link that actually works for me is the one on the front page, and it isn’t fully updated. o3o

Any estimates as to when the game will be finished?

@pinklauryn Farside hasn’t been in for a while, I know this thread’s not dead because she would’ve told us. If I were you I would just sit tight.

@pinklauryn: FYI, asking authors when their games will be finished is against the forum rule # 2. See http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/700/new-to-the-choice-of-games-forums-read-this-first/#Item_2 for more info.

Finally, the silnece was broken

Yay!

Haven’t seen this page in a little while.

Nice to see it back, though. :smiley:

The Nostalgia…

@Farside PM One of the mods to reopen this when you get back.

All right, here’s some news on this game. IDK how many people still remember it but here I go!

First, I am Farside, but this is a newer account. I’ll be posting under this account from here on out.

Second, I’m resuming work on Blood for Poppies. My other games (Down and Out in Damnation) will be temporarily put on the backburner while I finish it.

The main factor that contributed to my dropping BfP in the first place was my poor coding ability. I mean, my coding got the job done, certainly, but it was unwieldy. The formatting was terrible. I barely knew how to use the *goto and *label commands. In fact, I almost exclusively used the *goto_scene command, which resulted in there being around 50-100 scene files. Often I’d have a *choice command within a *choice command within a *choice command within a *choice command. Frankly, this made testing and working on the game a nightmare. The more complex the game got the more difficult it became to go through it and fix bugs. I didn’t even realize just how wrong my coding was until I looked at the code for Unnatural and saw how well-organized and manageable Nocturnal_Stillness’s coding was compared to mine (I learned a lot by looking through Unnatural’s code, and I recommend people go play that game. It’s fun!)

But I’m a better coder and writer now. BfP is a story I’d very much like to finish. Now that I’m resuming work on BfP I’ll have to entirely overhaul the code, which is no small task. However, I feel like I’m ready to take on this project again.

I apologize for dropping it the way I did. My life in the past few years has been a bit rocky, but things have certainly improved over time. Since I dropped it BfP has continued to receive more attention than I anticipated. The fb page still regularly receives hits on a weekly basis. People still ask and talk about BfP. I’m quite humbled by the people whom appreciated my work, and I hope I can do their appreciation justice by finishing BfP.

Thank you everyone.

36 Likes

WOOOHOOOHOOO!!!

GREAT NEWS!!!

Yay.

I’m glad things have improved for you. If there’s any sort of help you need with the coding please feel free to ask. You’ve got so many fans here. We’re all willing to help how we can.

Yay! More Blood for Poppies!

4 Likes

Thank you! :smile: That’s very sweet! I’ll certainly give you guys a holler if I run into any coding hang-ups. Overhauling the code will be monotonous grunt work before I can get back into the story, but I’m confidant I can handle it.

1 Like

Welcome back! Glad to see you’re safe return :slight_smile:

Considering my own projects are on hiatus for a few months I’ll tidy up your code for you if you wish. Consider it a favor for a friend on her return. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is my favorite WIP on the forums. :heart: It’s amazing.

Good luck getting it going again! Another person here who’s willing to help if you get stuck on something.

1 Like