Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread)

im in love with this game. Just have a very small suggesttion : you could let us have a symbol, like a card to leave on the scene or something more superman like ( Bt if its too much work dont do it. if the game release were delayed by me ill cry hard )

sorry for my bad english, its not my native language

1 Like

@Elle_Rillaine yes, I agree that many of the characters are a bit too stereotypical, particularly in the first half of the game. I’m hoping some of the later characters make up for that, and I want to re-write a few things. Actually I just improved a bit the description of Arthur and Charlotte.
@GenecoInheritor yes, that sounds about correct.
@AlexFalkor @lokidemon007 the problem with this is that the game would become a nightmare to code. Note how there are so many powers already. I’m happy to include extra ways in which existing powers can be used (in that respect I’m happy to code any suggestions), but adding more powers would just be too much at this stage (I think I have more power options than any other superhero game, by a long stretch…)
@Pedro_Ferreira I could potentially include such a thing (it would’t be too difficult). But, could you give me 3-4 instances in which you would like to do that?

Changes
-Added a grandparent’s watch and a holy book to list of objects at the beginning (box next to the bed, aside from weapons, etc). Does anybody else want any additional objects there?
-More background information has been added on Charlotte and Arthur. Is there anything that anybody would like to ask/talk about with them when they get introduced?
-Extra dialogue options Chs 1-3 (anything else you would want to say?)

To do list
-Make changes to the story to allow MC to start of as a vigilante, or not even a hero at all!
-Motivations for evil characters (something like 3 reasons like power hungry and desire of money. A destructive desire of vengeance against someone with power who did a pc a wrong (destroy pc career, killing family etc) And 3 what I call The bloody Idealist, That’s the one that wants a good thing but use wrong tactics and don’t care about victims in the process.post #529 @poison_mara)
-Add extra dialogue options (sarcastic option and a cocky nothing can take me down. Added up to chapter 3).
-Add some more 5 point or 15 point “small powers” (thanks @Sempurus, post #409. For example, "I can identify enemy weak points (fighting +15), thanks Blank).
-Add possibility of port official trying to run away (fly, teleportation, water breathing to catch him, weapons dealer has a mercenary to fight). Possibility to turn them in.
-Add option for MC to invent a gadget? (high engineering and intelligence) High Frequency Blades, Railguns or Gauss rifles, sprays to stun,
-More choices of professions (student, scientist?). On the 4th day there should be difference (engineer called away to building, student going to lecture). Thanks @GenecoInheritor
-Add instances of use of engineering, law and journalism to provide extra info to MC
-Re-write some of the dialogues for co-workers, to add flavour (a frequent complaint, so I need to work on this!). More interaction with them.
-Place all powers chosen in the power choosing page, add possibility to clear and choose again.
-Possibility to romance boss/Emily? to have a base? working for a government organisation?
-Mr Watson chapter part II and III (romance Catalina?), Black cockroach sidekick, other sidekick, billards bar (total 5 extra)
-Possible human genome storyline? (post #431)
-Have co-worker have a birthday party? (post #470)
-Change the definition of the MC (san-kyu, ni-kyu, depending on the number of hero points that they have)

1 Like

Could powers be used to make severe storms?

1 Like

Could I be apart of the private thread? I’ve been a huge fan of this game from the very beginning!

1 Like

i concur with the man above i may not have been helpful per say but id still like the opportunity to help more later

1 Like

Same as the two above for me.

1 Like

Suggestion: Instead of just having an energy shield for certain powers…maybe make that shield specific to that power (i.e water based power has water shield) and let them have the same strengths of weakness of said power in each situation.

For the supervillain path, what would be the personality traits? (I have Vigilante vs Paladin for superhero/vigilante)… but, any ideas? I was thinking of Evil vs Vigilante

So, we have Evil - Vigilante - Paladin…

1 Like

Instead of true Evil, how about some “unique” trait about their villainous personality ? I am thinking of a villain that is arrogant, self righteous , patronising and condescension

This villain will have an attitude of patronising superiority towards others , he/she belittle those who don’t have superpower with an act of “false” kindness …

for example : When dealing with another super entity , this villain will say to police officer or bystander " Stay aside puny people . this is no place to play game" , he/she is driven by a self-righteous sense that he/she is the most powerful being in the world and aim to defeat everyone who possess a challenge to him/her, in this case the villain has an obsession to defeat Steel A since she is the most powerful opponent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, basically this is what I want to do. Essentially, for a superhero the conflicting traits should be Vigilante vs Paladin (i.e. whether the superhero is more of a vigilante, or a true superhero).

For the case of a villain, I need two opposite traits. On the one hand they could be closer to a vigilante, and on the other truly evil. But, if you can think of two opposite traits that would be good (note that arrogant is already there, so it would be possible to play somebody who is halfway in between evil and a vigilante, and with high arrogance in the way you describe…)

1 Like

Why evil for sake of evil? I like villains have a reason not ARRR EVIL I WILL PUNCH PUPPIES… BECAUSE I??? WELL I Evil…
Why not Rutless vs Caring about others.
I want to be a villain with a personal reasons that is ruthless and doesn’t care the collateral damage.
Other could be a idealist villain that doesn’t want harm innocents.

Edit Reasons for be Villain could be
Revenge, Power. Create an utopy. Monetary…

5 Likes

I like the idea of caring against ruthless it can also let a path for a vigilante that doesn’t care about other he will bring the justice he thinks is the best even it means killing like The Punisher. But why not use gauges that fill up based on how we behave while in costume ?

3 Likes

Arrogant vs Ashamed

Arrogant villain seek to destroy and dominate to showcase their power and to boast their competence

Ashamed villain seek to destroy things that make them ashamed off … example, an ugly villain seek to destroy all things that are beautiful

1 Like

Sorry, I think many people have misinterpreted. Basically, I want an opp stat personality trait that gauges how “villanous” a character is. So, in the hero path it is between the MC being a vigilante and a normal superhero.

In the villain path, what should these two traits be? (evil vs vigilante?)

Regarding motivations for villains (thanks @poison_mara) , I have just finished re-coding part of the first chapter (only 30% of it so far, still much to do…). However, this already starts to ask MC about his motivations to be a villain, why he saved the kids from the fire, and why he chose to be a supervillain (6 options so far, again, thanks @poison_mara, I can code more). Basically, my hope is that almost all of the game up to the masquerade will remain “fairly similar” (with some new side quests), and different motivations and reasons for doing things on the main path. Then, things should start to differ substantially once the game branches out…

3 Likes

i was thinking in something like smallville, with the emblem stuff and everything. Like when you are parolling the streets and see a criminal you could let your signal in the scene. (It might as well be in your chest or other part of the uniform.

As far as villains, another pair of opposing traits could be, like, Greed and Anarchy? Maybe seeking to garner as much material worth for yourself versus just tearing down the system because of X?

Greed and Anarchy aren’t by all means opposite. Many Anarchist were in reality greedy of power for themselves or resources or women. Order vs Anarchy could have more sense

2 Likes

Changes
-Added more options to supervillain motivation (dad killed by police)
-Added possibility of getting weapons after choosing powers (with high marksmanship)
-Continued re-write of villain path.

To do list
-Create a way to randomise powers (so that MC gets powers randomly?)
-Add possibility to influence/seduce with mind powers?
-Add possibility to steal from friends in villain path.
-Finish evil re-write (currently only up to chapter 4. Chapters 5 and 6 to do)
-Add extra dialogue options (sarcastic option and a cocky nothing can take me down. Added up to chapter 3).
-Add some more 5 point or 15 point “small powers” (thanks @Sempurus, post #409. For example, "I can identify enemy weak points (fighting +15), thanks Blank).
-Add possibility of port official trying to run away (fly, teleportation, water breathing to catch him, weapons dealer has a mercenary to fight). Possibility to turn them in.
-Add option for MC to invent a gadget? (high engineering and intelligence) High Frequency Blades, Railguns or Gauss rifles, sprays to stun,
-More choices of professions (student, scientist?). On the 4th day there should be difference (engineer called away to building, student going to lecture). Thanks @GenecoInheritor
-Add instances of use of engineering, law and journalism to provide extra info to MC
-Re-write some of the dialogues for co-workers, to add flavour (a frequent complaint, so I need to work on this!). More interaction with them.
-Place all powers chosen in the power choosing page, add possibility to clear and choose again.
-Possibility to romance boss/Emily? to have a base? working for a government organisation?
-Mr Watson chapter part II and III (romance Catalina?), sidekicks billards bar (total 5 extra)
-Possible human genome storyline? (post #431)
-Have co-worker have a birthday party? (post #470)
-Change the definition of the MC (san-kyu, ni-kyu, depending on the number of hero points that they have)

4 Likes

She kisses us in a dream I’m just saying.

5 Likes

You could add heat vision or ice powers

2 Likes