Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread)

Due to a private request on a different thread I will be adding some more weapons that the MC can acquire during the game. Does anybody have any thoughts on these? Are any more needed? Any problems with the overall balancing, damage caused, or min STR and marksmanship required to use them? (I’m NOT a weapons expert in any sense, so I just put this together using wikipedia and very basic knowledge of weapons from reading comics etc…)

Item Type Cost Damage / Armour Min STR Min fighting / marksmanship Notes
Knife (energy) Melee - STR +20 - - Channel energy into blade power (+20 DMG)
Katana (energy) Melee - STR +30 - - Channel energy into blade power (+20 DMG)
Sabre (energy) Melee - STR +30 - - Channel energy into blade power (+20 DMG)
Whip (energy) Melee - STR +20 - - Channel energy into blade power (+20 DMG)
SOG Seal Knife Melee 200 STR +5 - - Available at weapons shop
LHR Combat Knife Melee 100 STR Available at weapons shop
Blackjack Melee 50 STR Available at weapons shop
Bow Ranged - AGI +20 - - Channel energy into projectile power (+20 DMG)
Gun Ranged - AGI +30 - - Channel energy into projectile power (+20 DMG)
Beretta semi-automatic handgun Ranged 700 AGI +15 - - Available at weapons shop
Taurus semi-automatic handgun Ranged 400 AGI +10 - - Available at weapons shop
Magnum .44 Ranged 500 AGI +15 - 10 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Kalashnikov assault rifle Ranged 1500 AGI +15 6 6 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
M16 Assault Rifle Ranged 4000 AGI +20 10 10 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Uzi submachine gun Ranged 5000 AGI +20 6 6 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine gun Ranged 4500 AGI +20 6 10 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Browning M2 heavy machine gun Ranged 9000 AGI +30 20 20 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Lightweight kevlar jacket Armour 600 Armour +10 - - Available at weapons shop
Helmet Armour 200 Armour +5 - - Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Heavy kevlar jacket Armour 1000 Armour +15 10 10 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
Interceptor body armour Armour 1600 Armour +20 20 10 Available at weapons shop (at discretion of attendant)
2 Likes

Maybe a Sniper Rifle like a Barret 50 Cal and a High Frequency Blade. Possibly Juggernaut armour which would be incredibly heavy but give a huge defense buff.

2 Likes

Juggernaut armour would be amazing.

1 Like

A desert eagle would be cool.

1 Like
  • Whip (energy) - blade power - Whip is not a bladed weapon
  • LHR Combat Knife and Blackjack - same damage, but one costs twice as much as the other
  • Not sure if the difference between Katana and Sabre is needed (especially since there are no other kinds of swords available)
1 Like

Well Katana’s would be slashing whilst sabres would be slashing and piercing. I’d suggest Rapiers as fencing is quite common.

1 Like

@CaesarCzech Ok, I tried to remove this problem by setting the hp to 1 as you get the stone. Hopefully this sorts the problem out. Also, I think I found the bug at the bar, which should be fixed now. What did you think of this scene? Any suggestions on how to improve it?

@Tai00 I think I fixed the bugs in the costume choice. Let me know if they persist.

@Pizza_is_good and others… still havent worked on any new professions… it is a major change/headache, so I’m deferring a bit work on that until I advance the story a bit further…

@Nadin2011 I hope I have corrected that bug, thanks! Otherwise yes, you have to choose all powers at the beginning… added a note on this.

@LauraSikdar, not sure about that bug, I tried to check and all seems ok. I wonder how that happened… Otherwise yes, I’m going to try to code some more romantic relationships!

@Terriermon50, the point of the paragraph is precisely that the Steel Aeronaut is all over the place, up to no good in any of them. But, I’ll add another sentence to clarify that! Thanks!

@Yaya1213 hopefully corrected the stone bug…

@Chaosteress, @Arcane_warrior, I guess juggernaut armour and high frequency blade would have to be invented by MC… thinking now on adding an extra side mission to invent such things…

@gvyn, made some changes to this, added rapier. LHR knife and blackjack are indeed purely cosmetic, apparently that is how much they cost? Changed from bladed weapon to hand weapon (indeed it was a poor description to start with).

Issues left to deal with
earth powers have no miscellaneous ones (maybe plant powers? mmmm)
-More fire powers?
-Add progress meter for current article in stats menu
-Add possibility of port official trying to run away (fly, teleportation, water breathing to catch him, weapons dealer has a mercenary to fight). Possibility to turn them in.
-Add option for MC to invent a gadget? (high engineering and intelligence)
-More choices of professions (student, scientist, economist, doctor, professor). On the 4th day there should be difference (engineer called away to building, student going to lecture).
-Add instances of use of engineering, law and journalism to provide extra info to MC
-Re-write some of the dialogues for co-workers, to add flavour (a frequent complaint, so I need to work on this!). More interaction with them.
-Place all powers chosen in the power choosing page
-Add option to clear powers and choose again
-Possibility to eventually romance the boss? Having a base? working for a government organisation?
-Mr Watson chapter part II and III (romance Catalina?), Black cockroach sidekick, other sidekick, billards bar (total 5 extra)

Extra fight options

-with high engineering you can make support beams collapse on attacker (Steel Aeronaut?)
-reverse gravity when Steel Aeronaut uses propulsion jets (would thrust him into the air!)
-if MC has high psyche and he has telekinesis then MC can rip her suit just enough to let her flee (not intentionally) and an Earth powered MC can have more options to use the earth (land) to make a protective shell around or an armor or gauntlet to hit her, and so on and so forth

4 Likes

NOTE: For anybody that has given feedback on this thread, the second part of the game is already starting to become available in a private thread. If any of you are unsure how to access that link (or haven’t been added to it) let me know!

2 Likes

Started to work on “High Intelligence /Inventor” powers. This will include the ability to build suits of armour, that the MC might be able to modify later.

Any thoughts on components that you would like to have on the armour? (so far have coded armour (protection from bullets, etc), protection from acid, etc.

3 Likes

Some of the inventions I can think of that can be coddled with the normal powers are
Exo-skeleton with super strength
Jet boots with flying
Laser blasters with fire, light, or plasma blast depending on level chosen or intelligence (and money)
Teleportation at VERY high intelligence
Built in weapons like shoulder mounted gun or sword arms and channeling energy can be modded ammo or coursing electricity in the swords
Stun grenades
Force fields
Jet boots on side, chest, and back with super speed
Steel antronach’s antenna that stoped us from mind controlling her could be made small and carried around or put in the suit and basically be super psyche
Enhanced materials with armored skin or lesser version

If I may suggest I say you make spending money on the suit a factor as someone with max intelligence and engineering could basically have every power they want but I think the number one thing about that is just making sure you level the amount of power with the amount of money spent on the suit or gadgets. And of course don’t forget the pc gets more money for more engineering skill

1 Like

When choosing what engineer you are, the first one is “A Civil Engineer, designing a new piece software to design bridge.” I’m pretty sure you meant to put “a new piece of software to design bridges.” Just guessing.

1 Like

Regarding earth powers you could add magnetism and invention wise High Frequency Blades, Railguns or Gauss rifles.

2 Likes

Have you ever thought about giving the MC an option to be powerless

1 Like

50 points can barley get you to Olympic weightlifter strength so you couldn’t get pass any checks with 0 points. Unless you want to be fail man, not-savior of the day

1 Like

Wouldn’t that kind of defeat the point of the game though? You’re meant to be superpowered from the rock thing. If you don’t pick it up, I’d imagine you wouldn’t end up on this path.

3 Likes

Actually, I hadn’t (as @Natman1025 and @Jacic mentioned). Basically, there have already been some complaints about how hard the game is when you don’t have the correct powers, so without them I doubt it would be possible. Also, at this point it would require a lot of coding to the game, and I’m not sure how many readers would want to choose that path (i.e. a lot of effort but maybe few would chose this way?)

But, there are different difficulty levels, so you are welcome to try on the higher difficulties? (they give you almost no powers, so the net effect is the same?)

IS it still possible for me to be part

1 Like

Is there any point of cosmetic items in a text game? Does anyone mention it later, like “Hey, nice knife” or smth?

1 Like

Well, not really in that sense, but the weapon will be mentioned during fights. I mean, there is a difference between most types of weapons (see table above), but in this one case only they are cosmetic. In the other cases there are slight differences…

I’m gonna guess people will fact differently if you bring a knife or a baton

Baton: Think that stick will save you?
Knife: Whoah man what the hell is wrong with you!
Gun: wets pants

3 Likes