Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread)

Wow, it has been almost 50 posts since my last recap round. Currently I’m working on three other side missions, which will hopefully be uploaded soon.

Individual answers:

@majinmike, there are now some instances where intelligence gives additional information, and where it can be used to overcome a deficit in willpower (in new scenes). Any ideas of where else it could be used? @Blank, not sure there are so many people interested in plant powers
@Arcane_warrior probably yes, depends on at which point I burn out…
@Blank, option to try to teleport away added
@Blank, I’m not sure I want to create non-office based jobs, as this would include much coding… basically would just prefer to leave it to office jobs (otherwise the game will spiral out of control)
@Blank, not sure I will implement the ultimate attack idea, I think it sort of goes against the mechanics based type of game?
@GenecoInheritor sort of decided not to add any new powers like this (some post ago, as I need to draw a limit at some point…) New suggestions on how to use existing powers are welcome!
@AmericanShakespeare, basically what @Blank said, unfortunately it would be too much coding. I do take the point made my @GenecoInheritor, and I am trying to add more choice to the battles, so things not only depend on your powers (but other choices made depending on them have an impact). Any suggestions on these are welcome! (adding now some options to use other things in the background, throw shelves on BC, etc). This should go some way to improving replayability and this issue…

Changes (will only show after next update, possibly Thursday)
-Added more side missions
-Added more options in combat with BC
-Added enhanced learning in power screen (thanks @Blank)

Issues left to deal with:
-Changes to Steel Aeronaut fight with high psyche (fight back and end up crashing into wall?). Ability to all stay counscious though sheer will power
-Add some more background (post 175 by @Savoy_Collier
-Maybe add plant powers (influence relationships through pheromones, get information, etc)
-Add possibility of port official trying to run away (fly, teleportation, water breathing to catch him, weapons dealer has a mercenary to fight). Possibility to turn them in.
-Add option for MC to invent a gadget? (high engineering and intelligence)
-Add option after first encounter with steel aeronaut to go back to office if endurance is high (thanks @blank)
-More choices of professions (student, scientist?). On the 4th day there should be difference (engineer called away to building, student going to lecture). Thanks @GenecoInheritor
-Make fight scenes longer?
-Add instances of use of engineering, law and journalism to provide extra info to MC
-Re-write some of the dialogues for co-workers, to add flavour (a frequent complaint, so I need to work on this!)
-Look at possibility of influencing boss with mind powers
-Change the description of why the MC is being shouted at (if high charisma/intelligence they should refer to frequent absence, little work done, etc). MC feels as if nothing they do matters (so there should be some room for that)
-Place all powers chosen in the power choosing page
-Add option to clear powers and choose again
-Rework some situations (showing, not telling, post #78) “For example, you said that not everyone is willing to accept powered individuals and simply want to experiment on them. Have the reader encounter a group of people who are vocal about their distaste for superheroes. As the MC walk through an electronic store, have a segment show up on a TV on how scientists believe that these powered people should be “examined” to further understand them, sugarfrosting their speech to hide their shady intentions.”
-R#2, add a bit more to the world building, a little bit more detail and colour.
-Ask more clearly the player to define his orientation?
-Possibility to eventually romance the boss? Having a base? working for a government organisation? become a villain?

5 Likes

In the end the next update might slip a bit, I had to do last minute checking of Highway Wars (Just released today!!! :slight_smile: ), and some other stuff to do in RL. Anyway, still hoping to upload the next version tomorrow, though maybe it might have less new stuff in it than anticipated, and the timetable to move on with the story might slip to next week…

6 Likes

Would you be able to add more offensive powers to the earth Section? Like maybe bend concrete or stone like Toph from Avatar?

1 Like

The earth section is not nearly poison ivy enough imo

1 Like

Just want to say that i am totally impress by your new game @adrao… i love it so far :smile:

My main power is Time Manipulation , Reverse Gravity and Force Field :blush:

I think you are awesome by applying Rewind Time as a power to reload previous action, totally love it…

and i think i am in love with Catalina, i suspect she is Tidal Bore :blush: why she reject my coffee invitation ? :thinking::sweat: However , Emily and the Police Captain is cool as well… i think i am going to love your finish product very very much … please please let Catalina be a RO :smile: :blush:

1 Like

New update is up. Two more side missions (well, a new one and the second part of the weapons shop). Also, there is the beginning of the second part of Mr. Watson/Tidal Bore. I’m however a little bit stuck on this… I know where I want to go later with this, but stuck on how to move this chapter forward…

NOTE: I think the new villain mission could be buggy (not 100% sure, as I haven’t tested it myself). Let me know if you encounter any trouble, or have any ideas on extra options that could be added to that fight.

@Velveteen earth powers now have immunity to acid added to them (defensive power). @GenecoInheritor, any ideas for a power that could easily be integrated into existing powers?

@Eric_knight hadn’t thought about Catalina as a RO, but the idea was to make Tidal bore into a side-kick Anyway will give it some thought, but to pester me about it later on should I forget! (many things in my head…)

5 Likes

Don’t worry , take your time…i sure will pester you later :grin:

How about “Alternation Power”? A power that transform the nature of the physical world or objects in it. Actually this power is originated from the magic school of Alternation/Transmutation , theoretically one can change to their liking , the properties and function of their own existing power… It can also alter any other types of powers near them. :slight_smile: Alternation power can also alter shape and size of material around them including plant and stone (since they are all make up of atoms ), example of Alternation power are Bull’s Strength, Fabricate, Polymorph, Plant Growth, Move Earth, and Water Breathing :smile:

1 Like

Pheromones seduction/emotional control/mind control

Vine offense if you don’t want a capture system in place . You use psychic powers in some cases to hold down a foe ( like BC) so restraining Vines could be as effective. Otherwise they could be used like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat “get over here!”

Thorny skin for defense does damage to physical attackers

2 Likes

Ok thanks, will think about adding these!

Otherwise any thoughts about how to proceed with case of Mr. Watson? What would you like to ask Catalina or do next? Any thoughts welcome!

Well…with Catalina’s report on Mr Watson, Mr Watson surely will try to make Catalina “disappear” right? Perhaps you can include an option to watch over Catalina or warn her of potential danger ?
a) MC watch over Catalina until MC witness someone try to kidnap her , MC can try to save Catalina on the spot or follow where Mr Watson take her… once there is proof of location where Mr Watson try to kill her, MC can call the police and start rescuing Catalina … before the police arrive, Mr Watson can be captured with proofs… If MC save Catalina on the spot, then we can go to following b)

b) MC ask Catalina out as a date, with reason of discussing Mr Watson, during the date MC ask Catalina to call him/her when she is in trouble … Catalina then call MC when Watson start to kidnap her again, and MC can arrive in time if he/she had Teleportation skill…

after several times of interfering with Mr Watson’s plan (assuming MC couldn’t capture him with proof in option a)… Mr Watson grow tired of either MC or Catalina, and will kidnap one of us and set a bait for the other…if Catalina is the one kidnap as bait, MC need to rescue her …
If MC is the one being kidnap, then assuming Catalina is Tidal Bore , Catalina will come rescue MC instead :smile:

3 Likes

Is that a coding error ? "{superhero_name} was display instead of MC’s hero name

1 Like

Thanks for the bug, I’ve corrected it (should be ok next time I upload the game, possibly later tonight or tomorrow…)

I was sort of thinking of something along these lines myself, but before that I wanted to have something else in the story (though not sure exactly what, hence why the story hasn’t moved… mmmmmm)

1 Like

Perhaps to develop the vigilante self of Catalina ? let Tidal Bore bump into few of MC’s mission so that they can know each other more ? :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So, another version is up, correcting a few bugs that I found, plus building up the world a bit more (with some TV news about arguing about the nature of enhanced humans). This add another 1000 words or so in total (through various days) to the story.

Now, how do you feel about the world-building so far? Do I need more? Basically I don’t know at which point there is too much world building, and how this distracts from the main story…

• There is too much world building, the game becomes a bit boring
  • World building is good as it is (no need to add more)
  • World building is good, but the more the better!
  • The world building is ok, but could do with a bit more
  • The world building is ok. Anyway, I don’t care much about this
  • The world building is not good enough. Need more of it
  • The world building is not good enough. I want more option for my character to react to what is happening
  • The world building is boring. I want more on other superheroes
  • The word building is boring. I want more on villains
  • The world building is boring. I want more on what is happening to other sections of society
  • Other (please let me know)

0 voters

1 Like

I think for the time beings , the character interaction is the soul of the story … the given world and environment around them is enough for the characters to operate within , when the character interaction and relationship have grown and mature enough , we can have bigger ambition of expanding the surrounding world if you are planning for a sequel :slight_smile:
For now, i think it will be better to make readers love and care for the characters in the storyline :slight_smile:

Take example of the movie John Wick , movie 1 and 2 are merely concentrating on a limited underground world of assassins , after the 2 movies… the character personality within the movie story had mature and John had encounter enough potential future enemies and allies … since the movie franchise had garner enough interest and was appealing, Movie 3 begins to evolve into a slightly bigger world … else the 2 movies were enough to make a closure of their own (even with a cliff hanger ) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wait there are 3 John Wick movies?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also is it just me or does Watson really seem very similar to Wilson Fisk from Daredevil(comics/tv…erm…netflix show)

1 Like

The third is filming now… not sure whether will come out this year :smile:

2 Likes

A couple of bodies are found ashore, near the docks though it looks like they were killed by humans and not the powereds their faces are contorted and no ids make it very difficult for them to be identified Journalist MC or Catalina somehow connects the building which is one of Watson’s newest ventures. They both were also in real estate and were quite adamant to sabotage Watson’s deal…then you can add Eric’s “kidnapping” idea (if MC is kidnapped then)not the one where Tidal Bore has to rescue MC but only does if MC doesn’t pass stat checks

2 Likes

@AmericanShakespeare Ah, it is a bit too obvious, right? I wasn’t planning to make him fat or anything like that, and there is more to the story in my head (I’m combining this with somebody else behind the scenes). But yes, this is the person I have in mind when thinking about Mr. Wood!

There is already too much happening at the docks (in the new side-story…), but you have inspired me! I will combine this with some other things floating in my head, thanks! (also to @Eric_knight, I think both of you have helped me overcome my block and start to pull all the pieces together!)

Didn’t know they were making a new Wick movie! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Possible animal powers to add.
Movement- super jump(frogs)
Camoflouge with immunity ti thermal sensors-(octopus and cuddlefish)
Paralyis-(blue coral snake) none lethal less potential version that comes from things like being scratched
Offensive- electrical shocks (jellyfish)

4 Likes