Hero or Villain: Genesis (feedback thread)

@MeltingPenguins, I’ll implement some of your suggestions and add them to my list of things to do.

In the meantime, just wanted to indicate that speedsters have been implemented (animal (speed x2), time (x2, x4, x8) and air (x2, x4, x8). So far the only coded use of the powers is during the fights, though if anybody has any suggestions on other uses I’ll be happy to code them!

4 Likes

Nice, can’t wait to try the new powers
But one question, are you gonna keep telekenesis as just moving objects and slow down people because if so then there has to be an explanation as to why we can’t just use telekenesis on a different level. Because if telekenesis on that level was real then there is a lot more to be done with it(creating a shield of force around the mc, molecular level movement, using telekenesis on the organs and not the whole person, etc as examples) unless there was an explanation such as the psyche creates a field that stops it from effecting internal organs/components of the body

1 Like

I think I found a bug when you select the option to describe your self it doesn’t give you the choice to click done ,

1 Like

I love it so far can’t wait for more

1 Like

I noticed a bug. Basically I picked "water based powers and when I was choosing my specific powers i picked “breathing under water, water goes through you etc.” then I picked “thick ice armor” and then I could pick again “breathing under water” , I picked that again and option to get it stayed after I bought it again. Just decided to let you know.

1 Like

Are you adding Heat vision?

In the part about movement powers as a time controlling character, the option that allows to controlling it eight times lacks the word “eight”.
Also: In the part about reading the newspaper there is an option of saying A crime is a crime, no matter how small. Society should enforce all rules, and even small infractions deserve attention and punishment. I wanted to play a character that is obsessive about the law, but later when you catch a dealer you are forced to let him go, which kind of breaks it for me.
I think it would be nice if I could keep the continuity, by arresting him.

Also when picking powers I met two other bugs while I was picking powers:
1.I chose air-based powers and after picking invisibility it redirected me straight to offensive powers instead of category menu or back to miscellaneous powers.
2.While picking from fire-based powers I had 20 points left and chose creating energy weapon from offensive powers menu, after choosing a katana I was left with -20 points.

Also about custom appearance: The other special features is kind of irritating. It proposes only tattoos and piercing, so I have to type two random things, as I have to have them. I think there should be a similar option to choosing costume colours, like “no other special features” or something like that.

2 Likes

When we’re talking to Tidal Bore, would it be possible to have a more tactful way of asking them to tell us about Mr. Watson than ‘Spit out everything you know now’? Especially if we have already been being nice to her, and we haven’t been playing a character who is forceful or socially awkward.

She even says ‘there is no way I’d be telling you if you ask me that way’, but there isn’t actually another way to ask her.

3 Likes

Sorry that development was put on hold. Highway Wars was finally submitted last week, so I’m taking a week or two of writing, and will then start working on this game again!

15 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what happens next!

3 Likes

Suggestion :fox_face:
Just some things i thought u could add later. I also have some regarding other things but id rather play again(not gonna do this right now) before making further comments.

appearance
hazel eyes. - just coz
white t-shirt and pants(denims?) - for casual clothes

costume
Hood.(with / without mask) - Hoods are badass
non-heroes/normal clothes.- like " a hoddie and jeans" because they are cheap. Also makes easier to blend in crowds

Default abilities (are there any already?)
ex
touched an animal
Birds u may have be able to fly or have enhanced sight etc
Dog enchanced speed, senses or stamina etc]

Polite-stoic/non chalant options and aswers.

Cant they track me with the red radio thing?:speak_no_evil:

4 Likes

I suggest a 4th option be add during the scene where we are being radio-ed for the first time while at work. All 3 options still force us to go to the scene of the crime with just a different perspective. I would like the 4th option be a choice to not go; I would rather put my superhero life on hold while finishing the brief. As a potential repurcussion of this, 1. The media may not approve and begin to dislike our persona since we didn’t show and/or 2. We finish the brief and we get less shit while at work inadvertly giving us more space to be a hero.

Is it at all possible to work with the steel areonaut? As soon as the stone in the museum was mentioned, I wanted to go after it for myself, but instead the areonaut gets to it. Is it possible to side with her to get a go at the stone?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

3 Likes

Just two minor suggested fixes:

Changing latino to latina when referring to catalina

Changing cabron to cabrón when speaking to tidal bore

1 Like

I know that I still have many previous comments to work on, but I wanted to move forward a bit with the story. Basically, added one extra “side-mission” (more like training really…)

@Hearts, incorporated your suggestions, thanks! (but, for the default abilities, like flying, these are extra powers you have to choose…). Also, incorporated a comment by captain villardi to reassure MC that there is no tracker.

@Yaya1213, changed latino to latina (thanks for typo!). However, I’m reluctant to introduce accents, as they may not show up properly in the final game (I know have a french character also, and have left all the accents out of that too). Regarding the suggestion not to go… yes, I guess this is a clear case of railroading, as not going would cause so many structural problems in the story. I am reluctant to implement this, sorry (it would mean lots of coding and make the whole structure confusing). However, in the second half of the story I’m thinking of introducing more branching, and this is something I have in my mind (evil route!). However, it is possible to get the stone, with the right powers/abilities. Let me know if you can’t manage (I think some other reviewers mentioned they could, so I don’t think there is a bug…)

4 Likes

All in all new update is only 1500 words, but I’m hoping to finish another couple of the side missions this week, and hopefully then proceed with the main story.

6 Likes

I was able to select the same power over and over again; hero points decreased every time.

Specifically, water powers / “immune to slipping”.
I was able to select this choice multiple times.

1 Like

Thanks, corrected that bug (and quite a few others that were in the same category)!

Otherwise, I also updated the second part of the fighting instructor side-story. Not sure if people are really that interested in that side story really… (but basically now there are 3 side stories, #1 of the Mr Watson story, #1 of patrol the streets (probably wont continue that one), #1 and #2 of the fighting instructor). I envisage another 1 or 2 side stories, and might also allow the MC to stay home and work…

4 Likes

Small update, there is now one more thing to do on the “night off”. Also, corrected quite a number of instances of poor grammar and some bugs (started to re-read the game myself, as I had forgotten about some bits and wanted to see how it is all tying up)

10 Likes

Excellent! This I like!

1 Like

It would be nice if there were some more powers relating to the power choice you made earlier

1 Like